Best SS friends and mates Club

1 hour ago, Wendy Townrow said:

Thanks guys, the storm system is not strong but is likely to have a fair mount of wind and rain attached. Making sure one has water and also grocery supplies is essential. I will have to go outside and make sure that all the stuff outside is secured in the morning.

I live just behind Cairns, I have been through a few of these storms, I just always hope I dont have to live through a big one as they cause so much devastation :)

I think weather can be a challenge no matter where you live :)

My brother-in-law (sadly passed away in 2019) first lived in Kuranda and then in Smithfield near the jungle and the university. We took the cable car to Kuranda and back to the car by train. We had made the trip with a camper (Sydney - Blue Mountains - Hunter Valley - Coffs Harbor - Lennox head - Broadbeach - Hervey Bay - Rockhampton - Airlie Beach - Mamu Rainforest - Atherton - Kuranda - Cairns).
We've been worried about him sometimes when there was a cyclone.

I don't hear much about storms in my family in Gold Coast.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I have to assume that based on your recent string of posts that you are now well within your own new 24K per year threshold for being allowed to speak? Not that you yourself would be subject to any

Sounds like you haven't leaned much about stock photography with your time here.

Bad Idea. If you give Pete the chance to write something, you get "war and peace" in double size.  So better, if he keeps calm. 

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

My brother-in-law (sadly passed away in 2019) first lived in Kuranda and then in Smithfield near the jungle and the university. We took the cable car to Kuranda and back to the car by train. We had made the trip with a camper (Sydney - Blue Mountains - Hunter Valley - Coffs Harbor - Lennox head - Broadbeach - Hervey Bay - Rockhampton - Airlie Beach - Mamu Rainforest - Atherton - Kuranda - Cairns).
We've been worried about him sometimes when there was a cyclone.

I don't hear much about storms in my family in Gold Coast.

Kuranda is where I live 🙂 I am sorry to hear he passed away :(Cyclone's are always a concern (especially the big ones), they have potential to do so much damage (even the small ones).  This one is currently tracking south of us and if it goes as predicted (not definite, they have a mind of their own) Cardwell will get hit badly again. A few years ago their coastal mangroves were wiped out and never grew back. 

I have been through a few of these smaller ones, I dont want to go through any big ones!

10 hours ago, Wendy Townrow said:

Kuranda is where I live 🙂 I am sorry to hear he passed away :(Cyclone's are always a concern (especially the big ones), they have potential to do so much damage (even the small ones).  This one is currently tracking south of us and if it goes as predicted (not definite, they have a mind of their own) Cardwell will get hit badly again. A few years ago their coastal mangroves were wiped out and never grew back. 

I have been through a few of these smaller ones, I dont want to go through any big ones!

Thanks. We miss him. He was a painter.
I've looked at your pictures of Kuranda. Nice to see the waterfall and train again. I just miss a picture of the street with the Curtain fig trees. We were there in 2012.
A lot of strength with the Cyclone Kimi. I just checked the weather forecast.

1 hour ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

Thanks. We miss him. He was a painter.
I've looked at your pictures of Kuranda. Nice to see the waterfall and train again. I just miss a picture of the street with the Curtain fig trees. We were there in 2012.
A lot of strength with the Cyclone Kimi. I just checked the weather forecast.

I actually have it on my list of things to take photos of ... the shots I have taken I have not like to be honest!

6 hours ago, Wendy Townrow said:

I actually have it on my list of things to take photos of ... the shots I have taken I have not like to be honest!

Kuranda what the heck, I don't even know where Queensland is. :)

Oh just North of Cairns, that's interesting. "Tropical Cyclone Kimi is currently a category 1 system located around 50km offshore from Cairns."

OK we'll wish the best and look forward to hearing you're fine in the morning, your time. ;)

16 hours ago, HodagMedia said:

Oh just North of Cairns, that's interesting. "Tropical Cyclone Kimi is currently a category 1 system located around 50km offshore from Cairns."

OK we'll wish the best and look forward to hearing you're fine in the morning, your time. ;)

lol Pete,  Kimi has been downgraded to a LOW now, and is SE of us ... now forecast to follow the coast North. As with these systems anything is possible. No effects here so far, not even rain.  We are still in watch and wait mode, but life returns to normal now for a while.  It has been a bt of a wake-up call as I have realised I am not cyclone ready enough round here. So I think it will be rallying the troops to organise stuff now :)

On 1/18/2021 at 4:19 PM, HodagMedia said:

On 1/19/2021 at 12:20 AM, Wendy Townrow said:

lol Pete,  Kimi has been downgraded to a LOW now, and is SE of us ... now forecast to follow the coast North. As with these systems anything is possible. No effects here so far, not even rain.  We are still in watch and wait mode, but life returns to normal now for a while.  It has been a bt of a wake-up call as I have realised I am not cyclone ready enough round here. So I think it will be rallying the troops to organise stuff now :)

I hope/think it went well with the cyclone.

Kuranda reminded me of my website about the trip to Australia. When I first had internet from my provider, I had free space for a website. There was a forum where you were also helped. Then the company was bought by a larger company, from which we also have television and telephone connections. That company didn't like websites. In January I saw that they had closed the space for websites and the forum without warning. Everything was gone. It looks like Shutterstock.
I have now added a short page to other vacation pages of my gardening website. Unfortunately much smaller than the old website with fewer photos (not suitable for Shutter due to focus), because it had to be on one page
Near the end of the page are some pictures of Kuranda and the journey to it (cable car, train, winding road) A beautiful village in the rainforest.
If you are ever in Australia I can recommend it Pete. 🙂
My new website page made with very old Frontpage:  http://www.tuin-thijs.com/vakantie-australia.htm  (In Dutch and English)

Thijs that was an epic trip, sorry to hear you lost the other site ... very annoying that they just removed without giving you chance to recover it. This is why it is always a very good idea to keep a backup copy on your local system (thank you for the reminder)

The cyclone has one now. Of course it wont be the only one, we can experience on average about 4 a season.  However they can vary in intensity and here they affect is variable too. Some places seem to have a higher chance than others.

7 hours ago, Wendy Townrow said:

Thijs that was an epic trip, sorry to hear you lost the other site ... very annoying that they just removed without giving you chance to recover it. This is why it is always a very good idea to keep a backup copy on your local system (thank you for the reminder)

The cyclone has one now. Of course it wont be the only one, we can experience on average about 4 a season.  However they can vary in intensity and here they affect is variable too. Some places seem to have a higher chance than others.

At our seaside, there is now also a strong wind on the coast, but that is not so much. There is a traffic warning. Wind force 9.
I started my garden site on that provider (Quicknet). When Quicknet was taken over by Ziggo, I placed my garden site to a different provider for 90 Euro a year and then created a website about the trip in Australia.
It has disappeared but I still have it and can place it on my other provider, but then I have to pay another 90 Euro and I don't feel like it. So I made a short version.
I could have understood if they had warned me. Now you saw some on the forum asking where their website had gone and shortly afterwards they also closed the forum. They seem to make a new better forum. Can Shutterstock do too if we keep complaining. 😁

I worked managing some pages. The rule was... Download before you upload anything new. Part of that was, someone else (it was Prodigy, higher ups could make changes to code, ads and some things, they didn't mess with content) As the last sale was going and things moved from White Plains to Austin and AT&T became SBC, contracts were ending. I wasn't one, but some externals threatened to sue. (for what I don't know)

One morning I logged in and everything was gone. I'm pretty sure I had backups, but then some days I questioned if I had everything. Seems the answer to the protest and threats was, "you are all terminated" and instead of the six months that they were kind enough to offer us, as a parting and thanks, they said, all you get is the 90 days that were in the contract.

I've always wanted to thank the 2 or 3 people who shouted, we're going to sue, that screwed all the rest of us out of three months pay. And I never blamed SBC for going legal contract when someone tried to intimidate and threaten them.

Free websites, that's fun and yes they do manage to disappear without notice. What do they care? One thing that's funny and I suppose I should have known better, is one of my websites has links to old Google image galleries. Wait was that something else before they bought them? Anyway, the new Google Images isn't the same. What Divinci or something? Oh no they were bought by Blackmagic. Google + shut down, that's where they were.

So my web pages have links to things like best photos of 2012, and there's nothing but a bad link. In order to reconstruct, I'd have to take all the images and make my own page that would display them. Hey, this was supposed to be fun, not work. My cobweb pages have broken links and some missing images. Not that anyone actually cares? 😀

Photo galleries on web pages are a nice way to share travel and things. I liked the way Google + allowed me to just add things and anyone would see them. Now Google My Images makes things more complicated. I think I have to approve people, so they can look. What? Not worth the time for "what I found at the resale shop yesterday" and equally exciting images.

Kuranda sounds interesting and I doubt that I'll ever get to anything Australia. I've been overseas once, I work a lot, some 14 day weeks ;) and don't travel much. I did go to Niagara Falls one afternoon when I was in Buffalo.

“Slowly I turned…step by step…inch by inch…,”

Yeah backup locally before any changes is always a good move! Coders always have a habit of breaking something!

Pete I dont blame you for being peeved at the shouters.

Your trip to Oz sounds like my trip to anywhere other than Oz . Not going to happen any time soon. When hubs and I got married, we were planning a world tour as a delayed honeymoon, well then he got made redundant, 18 months later he was on disability pension. It was still in the distant future if all the dominoes  lined up. But then things like Dad's health and Covid and and and .... overseas trips ... not any time in the near future that is for sure.

My 3 overseas trips, were coming from England to Oz as a 10 pound immigrant. I went back to the UK when I was 20 to see family members (making sure I had Australian Citizenship before I left), then hubs and I had a 2 week trip to NZ .... I still have not seen all of Oz .... so I have plenty of travel to do, even without leaving this blooming big island!