Best SS friends and mates Club

I wish you all  Love ❤️ Peace ☮️ and happiness 🌝 in 2020.

Just think it’s an achievement to shoot and upload so many images in a short period. 

But I get it @geogif. That was about the newbies and the impact of the 10k quest. But the thread itself - despite the nasty remarks - was useful as it showed all opinions. It was a learning experience to make up your own mind with all the information shared.

And @Grossinger your statement ‘10,000 images are much better than 500’ does apply to me. If I had stepped up big time (impossible), I would have mostlikely gotten a similar result as yours. You mentioned you have moved to the second tire. 

From a different context, a 500 image portfolio of a succesful contributor will do better than your 10,000 image one. So your statement is incorrect in this context. 

But, will a succesful 500 images contributor do better with a 10,000 portfolio ? Ofcourse. So your statement, in this case, is correct. But getting to 10k images will take way more time. 

It’s all about the context. 

And I just wish there was no more ‘shooting from the hip’ on the forum. Let’s keep counting to ten before responding in anger. That applies to me too. 😉 Orherwise we will end up in our naughty corner (again).

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I have to assume that based on your recent string of posts that you are now well within your own new 24K per year threshold for being allowed to speak? Not that you yourself would be subject to any

Sounds like you haven't leaned much about stock photography with your time here.

Bad Idea. If you give Pete the chance to write something, you get "war and peace" in double size.  So better, if he keeps calm. 

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Evelyn de Waard said:

Uhmmm... Just saw the images.... And NOW I get the cheating part... Hahahaha ! 😂😂 @Grossinger  Very inventive and very naughty ! In your corner. You did not bribe a reviewer did you ? 😁 Well...they went through the gate, so they count. 

No bribes.
I have paid a steep price in time and effort getting to know the line between similar and not similar. If you look closely my images are not similar.
I've had a bunch kicked back because of similar looks and when I do this kind of shooting, I do my best to toe the line. I also check the images when they come out of the camera. I don't like wasting time and effort anymore than anyone else.
What gets people's attention is the number of images. But frankly most people on this forum don't even have a portfolio worth talking about and have no idea about stock photography. Their expectations are really low (I hope I make payout this month), their photo production is almost non existent, so I understand people's reactions. Besides, this forum is most a gossip colony.
I know you have a teeny, tiny, itty bitty, really small and insignificant port, so I hope I'm not offending you. I had a really small port too, for a couple of weeks.
I do hope you have a plan to have a nice port (5,000+) by the end of 2020. That's when you begin making money and that is also when you begin to understand the mechanics of stock.
Happy New Year

1 hour ago, Evelyn de Waard said:

From a different context, a 500 image portfolio of a succesful contributor will do better than your 10,000 image one. So your statement is incorrect in this context. 

There are no successful contributors with ports smaller than 5000.
There are those that brag and those that lie but the fact is stock photography is a numbers game.
I find it amusing that people with tiny ports keep posting about those unicorn ports that don't exist.
They go against all human nature. Sure there are great photographers, but great pictures don't get seen any
more frequently than mediocre images. If a picture can't be found it can't be bought. If a type of image is making
the owner a lot of money you can bet he or she is cranking them out like there is no tomorrow. Before you know it
they are the proud owners if huge ports. The tiny ports making huge money simply don't exist.
The pricing and rewards of sales mitigate against tiny ports. Just how many pictures do you have to sell at 33 cents or $2.48 to make a large amount of money? Ever think about that?
Do you look at the ports of those that do all the bragging and compare them to yours?
Then you have to think "What the hell is all the bragging about?"
Stock photography is not an art gallery despite all the bragging that goes on. You have no idea how sick I am of all the bragging.
Stock photography is about hard, hard grinding work. Yeah, yeah, I've read all the bs about smart work.
Yeah, right. BS
Smart workers are also extremely hard workers.
You should LOOK at a lot of ports before you post. You have no idea.

@Evelyn de Waard - That picture of your Japanese chrysanthemum flower is beautiful. I did a search for it. It's on page 5.
That means there are over 400 images ahead of yours. Are you selling much of it?
This is in no way an attack on you port. It is lovely but my point is computers can't tell the difference between Mona Lisa and a wicked witch.
You have a lot to learn.
Don't talk down on anybody's port until you have thousands of images and know what you are talking about.
Search all of your images on SS and see where you place. LOOK at all those pictures ahead of yours and find out why.
Most people won't do that because it's too much work.
Start working. The idea of a tiny port bringing in a lot of money at the rate of 33 cents or even $2.48  a sale is so absurd it's incredible. The next brag post you read, LOOK at their port and LOOK where their pictures rank.

31 minutes ago, Travers Lewis said:

Someones had too much of the Christmas spirit! 🎅

Yeah I know. Raw beginners knocking people with large ports that have been around a while.
What's next? People with teeny tiny ports less than 300 making smart aleky posts?
Why not, it's easier than working on one's port.
Cheers! Take it easy on that Christmas spirit.

41 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

You keep on saying this but you are actually and the thing is your posts are around 20 times longer than those by other contributors. So your 2000 posts a year actually equate to about 40000. Here's a tip for next year. Learn brevity. That could save you and the people reading your posts a lot of anguish. 

Here's a tip for you
Learn photography and start uploading. You appear to have no interest in your port.
Only in posting and then you have nothing worth reading. You post way too much and
add to your port way too little.

1 hour ago, Phil Lowe said:

And if it wasn't Grossinger who shot them, why are they in his portfolio?

Hahahahahahaha!
Hiya Phil! I see you are still wildly addicted to Grossinger. That's great. Makes me feel wonderful.
So, have you started any crazy petitions lately?
Just curious.
I'm glad you come to my threads because I don't have the time for yours.

20 minutes ago, Grossinger said:

Hahahahahahaha!
Hiya Phil! I see you are still wildly addicted to Grossinger. That's great. Makes me feel wonderful.
So, have you started any crazy petitions lately?
Just curious.
I'm glad you come to my threads because I don't have the time for yours.

Didn't answer my questions.  Not your thread.  Don't care unless geogif is right.  

And no, I don't do petitions.

5 hours ago, Studio 2 said:

@Grossinger I am glad you took my advice. That last post was much briefer. Your previous post to me (in the form of a very long love letter) is above. Such a difference. Oh and by-the-way in this post (one of many) where you say you would post less on the forum your post count was 1915. On the 16th of this month. Your count today is 1967. You keep telling people they post too much 🤔 Projection?

I think you are obsessed with me. Better get medical help.

16 hours ago, geogif said:

A few photos less than 10000 would have been better than these unspeakable similar pictures with the coloured hats, one like the other. 

The only reason why those were accepted like that is that QC has zeroed out - for the most part. Regardless of anyone's level of skill level, it is true. Anyone with a camera can literally walk around an outdoor garden or parking lot, push their digit down with some pressure and take five hundred somewhat different images and upload them all day long here. Yes its very tedious - not hard work though. Hard work in photography is the pressure on the photographer to get it right esp when someone is shelling over a few hundred dollars for two hours of your time. From left to right: 1. Difficulty level fairly high. 2. Cold, hiking - difficulty level medium. 3. Valley of Fire sunset: hike, big heavy tripod, multiple exposures, difficulty level intermediate.  

aaaaaafootball.jpg

stock-photo-a-beautiful-photograph-of-mt-fuji-taken-at-sunset-with-a-moon-1271348653.jpg

stock-photo-valley-of-fire-state-park-mountains-at-sunset-1148179910.jpg

8 hours ago, Phil Lowe said:

If those are selfies, who snapped the photo?  And if it wasn't Grossinger who shot them, why are they in his portfolio?

Just wondering out loud...

Easily enough done Phil, just set the time lapse feature and start horsing around, or use a remote timer with a two second delay.

1000 selfies, that is a epic marathon in itself Joe!  You'll be the most celebrated face on match.com, tinder and plentyoffish. 🤣

All kidding aside, I do hope you make your 10,000.  You have invested a lot of time and energy in it.

@Brady Barrineau Not meaning to be offensive, but standards here are not going to go back to what they once were no matter how much it's lamented.  If you feel it is no longer up to the standards of your work, I'm not sure why you expending energy on fighting it.  Put that energy into your paying jobs and you'll find it a lot more rewarding. 

The bottom line is that SS is paving it's roads wherever they may end up leading to, and we have virtually no say in it other than staying or leaving. 

1 hour ago, Lost Mountain Studio said:

All kidding aside, I do hope you make your 10,000

Thanks! I won't make it. The weekend and holidays are stacked against me.
Right now I'm sitting at 9575 and for all intents and purposes today is the last day.
You know how uploading on the weekend goes.
I'm getting ready to upload another 40 images right now.
Tomorrow will be Saturday, I will probably upload another 200.
Sunday another 200. That will put me over the top IF the reviewers at SS work properly.
Last weekend I uploaded 500 images, they kicked back 300, which I subsequently re-uploaded.
The excuse was an improper model release. I re-uploaded with a virtual copy of the same release with no problem.
It's the weekend and holidays that are going to kill me.
Technically I have already passed the 10,000 image mark if you include my videos. At the time I made the 10,000 image commitment I had no idea about video.
BUT, no problem. If I miss it, I miss it. It won't be the end of the world and I will keep on
keeping on.
You take care. HAPPY NEW YEAR!
My new year resolution is to make no more commitments.

57 minutes ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Sounds like you haven't leaned much about stock photography with your time here.

I guess that depends on your definition of success.
I know of only a handful of people on this forum who make good money.
Good money being $24,000 a year or better.
I'm pretty sure you don't qualify, so I don't understand why you are talking.
It's always you people with tiny, piddly little insignificant ports who want to argue this point but you sure as hell can't show.
Keep dreaming

14 minutes ago, Grossinger said:

Success can mean different things to different people. And indeed there are many contributors with less than 5000 photos in their ports who have been very successful in achieving their goals and sometimes accomplishing much more. The same is true of people with less than 1000 photos in their ports. 

5 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Success can mean different things to different people. And indeed there are many contributors with less than 5000 photos in their ports who have been very successful in achieving their goals and sometimes accomplishing much more. The same is true of people with less than 1000 photos in their ports. 

This is a classic in political speech. You said nothing. It's all vague generalities which don't help anyone.
The fact is those with small ports of less than 1000 images have the numbers stacked against them.
You being the owner of one of those really small ports know this very well.
Just how many pictures do you have to sell at 25 cents or $1.88 to make even a piddly $100?
You know the answer very well. It's a rhetorical question. But you had to barge in and tell me
I don't know anything about stock photography. You with a bit over 400 images and less than 100 videos.
Yeah, right. It's fair to say you don't know diddly because of your limited data base. The only thing you know is
what you read and repeat on the forum.
You have a limited number of subjects and a limited number of images in each subject.
The only reason you are here is to gab on the forum.
How many months does it take you to make minimum payout?
But you tell me I don't know anything about stock.
I have worked my butt off for a year now to get to a portfolio that pays.
I constantly experiment with new images, new subjects and new ways to describe them.
I don't see anything educational or interesting in your posts.
NOTHING that will help sell more images. Nothing.
But I don't know what I'm talking about.
Do a search on "old man" simple two words.
There are 21897 pages of images. I'm on page one and run on to many other pages.
Try "veteran suicide" or "great pain" or "dapper gentleman"
Yeah, all on page one. I can do this all day long because I don't know anything about stock.
So where is your list? You with that great, successful port. Where is your list?
Want more? Try "bleeding wound"
Yeah, but I don't know anything about stock photography and my pictures suck.
Yet they are on page one of dozens of searches.
People with tiny ports have tiny outlooks and tiny references.
Something to think about.
This message applies to all the great big talkers with piddly little ports and no income.
I don't post images to brag about the here on the forum. Why bother? To stroke my ego?
I post mine in my port where they pay.

3 hours ago, Grossinger said:

I know of only a handful of people on this forum who make good money.
Good money being $24,000 a year or better.
I'm pretty sure you don't qualify, so I don't understand why you are talking.
It's always you people with tiny, piddly little insignificant ports who want to argue this point but you sure as hell can't show.
Keep dreaming

So I have to assume that based on your recent string of posts that you are now well within your own new 24K per year threshold for being allowed to speak? Not that you yourself would be subject to any of those limitations of course, but if that is the case then my hat is off to you sir and a hearty congratulations are in order - and I look forward to the forthcoming "Shutterstock Winners and Losers Club" thread for 2020.

If not, then I am sure there are a lot of people like myself who would be very interested in hearing your thoughts on how long it might take you to reach that level. After all, given the vast wisdom and experience you've gained over these past months coupled with your indisputable understanding of the "mechanics of microstock", it should be a relatively easy task for you to extrapolate from your obvious successes thus far and make a fairly accurate prediction. Do you think that if given enough time for your images to "mature" and "settle in" at the top of the search results long after the initial bump, could you stop uploading now and reap the rewards, or do you think you might need just a scooch more? Obviously I am not looking for anything too educational or interesting such as hard facts and figures, just a brief synopsis on effort in vs. reward out. Would you do it again? Could you make a living from it if you had to?

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that your generosity in sharing this wealth of insight into the very heart of microstock so far has not gone unnoticed. Your uncanny ability to pinpoint weaknesses in other people's portfolios and offer such sage, valuable and above all unsolicitated advice on what they should be doing to match your own level of success is definitely appreciated. Your almost mystical ability to identify personal shortcomings such as a lack of work ethic and often times even lack of intelligence without so much as the benefit of meeting them is truly remarkable. You sir are more than just the embodiment of soft spoken professionalism - you are the newest microstock Mesiah. I dare say on a level with those you have replaced. Well done.

I am also curious if you ascribe any of your own immeasurable success to your recent penchant for self aligning with people whose portfolios you claim to admire, yet also ridicule in your own charming way? Is there a financial benefit to this strategy that I am missing? Although I am hardly a newbie I am always open to learning more, particularly from one with as many "educational" and interesting posts to offer as you.

3 hours ago, Grossinger said:

30 minutes ago, Foodio said:

So I have to assume that based on your recent string of posts that you are now well within your own new 24K per year threshold for being allowed to speak? Not that you yourself would be subject to any of those limitations of course, but if that is the case then my hat is off to you sir and a hearty congratulations are in order - and I look forward to the forthcoming "Shutterstock Winners and Losers Club" thread for 2020.

If not, then I am sure there are a lot of people like myself who would be very interested in hearing your thoughts on how long it might take you to reach that level. After all, given the vast wisdom and experience you've gained over these past months coupled with your indisputable understanding of the "mechanics of microstock", it should be a relatively easy task for you to extrapolate from your obvious successes thus far and make a fairly accurate prediction. Do you think that if given enough time for your images to "mature" and "settle in" at the top of the search results long after the initial bump, could you stop uploading now and reap the rewards, or do you think you might need just a scooch more? Obviously I am not looking for anything too educational or interesting such as hard facts and figures, just a brief synopsis on effort in vs. reward out. Would you do it again? Could you make a living from it if you had to?

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that your generosity in sharing this wealth of insight into the very heart of microstock so far has not gone unnoticed. Your uncanny ability to pinpoint weaknesses in other people's portfolios and offer such sage, valuable and above all unsolicitated advice on what they should be doing to match your own level of success is definitely appreciated. Your almost mystical ability to identify personal shortcomings such as a lack of work ethic and often times even lack of intelligence without so much as the benefit of meeting them is truly remarkable. You sir are more than just the embodiment of soft spoken professionalism - you are the newest microstock Mesiah. I dare say on a level with those you have replaced. Well done.

I am also curious if you ascribe any of your own immeasurable success to your recent penchant for self aligning with people whose portfolios you claim to admire, yet also ridicule in your own charming way? Is there a financial benefit to this strategy that I am missing? Although I am hardly a newbie I am always open to learning more, particularly from one with as many "educational" and interesting posts to offer as you.

Excellent post @Foodio this is a right way to talk with a fool! 

1 hour ago, Grossinger said:

Do a search on "old man" simple two words.
There are 21897 pages of images. I'm on page one and run on to many other pages.

Most relevant:

https://www.shutterstock.com/search/old+man?image_type=photo

Nothing.

Fresh content:

https://www.shutterstock.com/search/old+man?image_type=photo&sort=newest

Reached last line of page one, will sink fast. 

If you are really so unimaginative that you think you have to submit hundreds of similars, you should do so with a time delay. Not all at once, but staggered. Then there is at least a small chance that a few will sell. In this huge block they will sink like lead. And tear each other down in the process. 
I'm also a proponent of many images and upload, upload, upload. But they should be different pictures and at least some of them should be of avarage quality.