Best SS friends and mates Club

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I have to assume that based on your recent string of posts that you are now well within your own new 24K per year threshold for being allowed to speak? Not that you yourself would be subject to any

Sounds like you haven't leaned much about stock photography with your time here.

Bad Idea. If you give Pete the chance to write something, you get "war and peace" in double size.  So better, if he keeps calm. 

Posted Images

To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong.

I was thinking of reviving my 10,000 image thread but decided since I'm going to spend a lot more time uploading, uploading, uploading, there will be little time left for posting.
Besides, I've said all there is to say on winning.  If you need more info on the subject of winning talk to @Doug Jensen
You either do it and run with the big dogs or you stay on the porch with the children.
It's a cinch your piddly little insignificant port ain't going to bring you much money. If any.
It's pretty much assured that I will make my commitment of having  a 10,000 image port before the year is out.
Before next week is out, actually.
Now about that 10,000. When I first started with Shutterstock January this year, I decided since we all have to work in an information vacuum where you just don't know how much income is possible, what images sell and so on I decided on the 10,000 image port. Yes, I have learned a lot about microstock. Thanks to some good friends I know a LOT more about this business than I did back in January. Yep, I'm glad I went on this venture.
If you want to attract trolls, just announce a hard to achieve goal, give progress reports and if you want to drive those trolls mad - Achieve your goal. Try it. It's can't hurt.
From there? I don't know. I have quite a few photo project ideas I'm already working on.
Videos? Only as time and energy allows. I'm just not thrilled by the subject.
Better watch how @Alexandre Rotenberg does. He says he's moving into video in a big way. I wish you success Alexandre.
I am going to try my hand at stop motion photography. That looks interesting.
Microstock is not a matter of bragging about photography, that's for losers.
It's a matter of producing pictures that sell.
That's all I have for now.
Oh yeah, a note to @Laurin Rinder - I'm still here and you are not. That's all there is to say about that. You are wrong on almost every subject imaginable but keep on reading those bubble gum wrappers.
To the three Amigos who passed that petition around to get me kicked off the forum - Hahahahahahahaha!

24 minutes ago, Grossinger said:

I am going to try my hand at stop motion photography. That looks interesting.

Yeah, I think some of Annie's videos are made with that technique. I just watched a YT on it.
It seems like the opposite of what you did on your challange. For one single sequence you need a lot of patience, many single pictures, a steady hand and a stable tripod. And a lot of time. 
I am curious about your results. I don't have the necessary calmness for something like this. 

20 minutes ago, geogif said:

It seems like the opposite of what you did on your challange.

It is the opposite. But since I will have filled my commitment I will have time to try it out.
Let me tell you, that 10,000 image commitment was a real anchor on my back.
I don't like to call that a goal because goals are not hard enough, not firm enough.
Commitments are and I love a good challenge.
I look forward to doing a lot of experimenting in 2020. Should be fun.
Oh! I do have a new commitment for 2020. To make boat loads of money. 😁

Anyone know if the Microstokr app is ever going to get AS on there? Since they closed FT it's been a bit more than a little bit of a pain to check sales on their site with their multi step process. I'd much rather have the convenience of being able to check everything on Microstokr like it was before.

Hi guys

@Sheila Fitzgerald, I don't know the answer. Too many things went wrong with my (freebie) version that I stopped using it. I got the feeling that I had to get the paid version for everything to work. Sorry, I cant help. But hopefully some others here may be able to.

@geogif, @Grossinger. Yes, you need patience with stop motions. It can be highly technical, but its also another way to shoot both stills and clips from the same shoot, which is my preference for saving time and doubling your productivity. But like anything, it gets easier with practice.

Each year, I try something different with video, to kind of push me out of my previous comfort zone, and also for interest and expanding my skills. This year was stop motions, last year was more about the content and not the technique (I did a big range of crazy cakes and extreme food), the year before I shot flatlay overheads and sped them up for a timelapse effect. Not sure what 2020 will bring yet, the idea usually just presents itself when the time is ready. Either from an agency (usually what P5 is promoting), or what's trending on social media and not covered by contributors yet. Sometimes it's a combination of both.

But again, it always boils down to content. All my plans are always for video now, and what will sell for that market, but I find the stills sell as well. @Grossinger, Joe. my recommendation is definitely to look more into video for you. It will increase your average RPI. But I will admit that I hated video for the first 6 months when I first started with it and nearly quit several times.

I just walked out into my backyard, its 7.30am, and there's this large veil of smoke just lingering over our place. Its the Adelaide Hills fires which has been burning for days now. I live near the coast and the fires are on the other side of Adelaide, SA, a long way away. That's how bad it is. Not a good Christmas for many people :(

https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/live-bushfire-updates-enormous-amount-of-fire-still-burning/live-coverage/937ff67aafd3105d3da9ab6a75233f43

Or maybe its also coming from Kangaroo Island and we're getting it from both directions. @Patrick Cooper are you ok?

29 minutes ago, Milleflore Images said:

I just walked out into my backyard, its 7.30am, and there's this large veil of smoke just lingering over our place. Its the Adelaide Hills fires which has been burning for days now. I live near the coast and the fires are on the other side of Adelaide, SA, a long way away. That's how bad it is. Not a good Christmas for many people :(

https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/live-bushfire-updates-enormous-amount-of-fire-still-burning/live-coverage/937ff67aafd3105d3da9ab6a75233f43

No not good at all.

My family lives in Australia near the Gold Coast. i think there it is better. Seven years ago we drove with a camper from Sydney to Cairns. I saw on the TV it is was also burning in the Blue Mountains. So beautiful there. 
Tonight there was interview with an Australian potter, who had survived the fire in a kind of refractory oven. 

These were roughly  the temperatures here this past week (see below). It was crazy hot, and much too early in our summer for such hot temperatures for so long. We sometimes get temperatures getting to around 40c this time of the year, but only for a day or two and then it rains. We got the cool change by the end of the week but no rain this time. And then of course, come the fires. 

AdelWeather.jpg

California is having similiar incidents. Dash cam video from one of the fires in LA. I used to drive this route all the time and still do when I'm heading back down there to see my dtr who still lives in Irvine

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=california+fire+storm+dash+cam+video&view=detail&mid=97948638F064200E7DE197948638F064200E7DE1&FORM=VIRE

And dash cam video from the Northern California fires

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=california+fire+storm+dash+cam+video&view=detail&mid=7153C1D30FCC924725427153C1D30FCC92472542&FORM=VIRE

I hope you guys get some relief from the flames soon

As for the Microstokr app, the paid version doesn't work any better than the free version (in fact I feel like it's worse). At least for the mobil version. i haven't used the desktop version since the beta testing finished and they started charging. It's just too much IMO to pay. I did the one year for mobile and i have to keep re-installing purchases every time I open the app so I opted not to bother with the paid version anymore with that either. But it still is convenient to check sales there (when they load) from more than one site.

3 hours ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

No not good at all.

My family lives in Australia near the Gold Coast. i think there it is better. Seven years ago we drove with a camper from Sydney to Cairns. I saw on the TV it is was also burning in the Blue Mountains. So beautiful there. 
Tonight there was interview with an Australian potter, who had survived the fire in a kind of refractory oven. 

The Blue Mountains is being hit by a "Megablaze"  ... my husband and I have quite a few relatives who have been evacuated ... they dont know if they will lose their homes or not :(

https://www.9news.com.au/national/nsw-bushfires-gospers-mega-fire-filmed-climbing-up-cliff-over-200-metres-high/de07c2d4-9260-4057-a6e3-03ca42214b06

I saw that interview with the potter ..a very creative solution!

There are fires in the area west of the Gold Coast but not on the Gold Coast itself

Weather everywhere seems pretty wild at the moment

Joe the fires here are out of a horror movie .... I have not seen anything like in close to 60 years   .... fires we are used to, fires like this we arent  ....

The other thing that has not been mentioned anywhere (yet) is that if we get torrential rain after the fires the devastation will be magnified  ....

The behaviour of these fires are not like anything anyone has seen before here  ....

One fireman made the comment that, they are used to fires that run along the ground and go up the tree, they are used to fires that jump through the canopy. These fires are leaping from tree top to tree top and burning down the trees and wiping them out.

This is near where some of our relatives were evacuated and where my husband's parents are buried.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/nsw-bushfires-homes-destroyed-as-fireys-brace-for-tough-week/news-story/bc519978ffd0f4932af2766a397a7b8a

f626aeec7c44784e22a1f380ce4b8a4a?width=1

4 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

As for the Microstokr app, the paid version doesn't work any better than the free version (in fact I feel like it's worse). At least for the mobil version. i haven't used the desktop version since the beta testing finished and they started charging. It's just too much IMO to pay. I did the one year for mobile and i have to keep re-installing purchases every time I open the app so I opted not to bother with the paid version anymore with that either. But it still is convenient to check sales there (when they load) from more than one site.

Thanks for that information Sheila. I really appreciate it.
Stay safe, those are some fierce fires you are having.
Hard to believe.

6 hours ago, Milleflore Images said:

Or maybe its also coming from Kangaroo Island and we're getting it from both directions. @Patrick Cooper are you ok?

Yea I'm okay, Annie. A large fire was reported near Penneshaw (where I am) but I couldn't see it. The sky got pretty hazy here though. There are also a number of fires on the other side of the island covering a very large area. It sounds pretty extensive. I wonder if they started with that lightning storm I heard earlier. Most fires on Kangaroo Island are started by lightning. 

That sounds pretty surreal with all the smoke in your backyard and surroundings. I hope the air quality is still okay. That really is crazy if the smoke is coming from both sets of fires from the Adelaide hills and KI. So much of Australia seems to be on fire these days (where's there's bush of course.)

thanks Wendy. Fire season ended a few weeks ago here for us. We are into the rain now and lots of flooding. It sometimes feels like one is going from one extreme to the other. They're saying flights delayed due to severe weather fronts now. I haven't heard what the rain is doing in regards to erosion in the fire burn areas. Last years was bad in So Cal because the rains hit about a week after the fire burned in Southern California so the houses that weren't lost to fire, many were lost to mud slides due to the torrential rains. Definitely will have to do some research into the areas before we decide to move again. Not doing that anytime soon though (hopefully). I hate packing and moving. Once the last child graduates from high school the end of this academic year, we'll re-assess what we are doing. I'm not sure she has even decided what she's doing for college. At least the first two are fully self sufficient now (for the most part). KT is starting her student teaching now for her second change of plans in terms of career and B just finished her degree (after changing her major 3 or 4 times). So only two more to get through school and on their own. Who knew parenting would be so much work :) 

6 hours ago, Wendy Townrow said:

The Blue Mountains is being hit by a "Megablaze"  ... my husband and I have quite a few relatives who have been evacuated ... they dont know if they will lose their homes or not :(

Terrible. We have been at Katoomba Falls Caravan Park  http://members.quicknet.nl/tj.de.graaf/Blue-Mountains.htm
We have had in the Netherlands in our neighborhood dune fires a few times, but that does not mean anything when you see this.

46 minutes ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

Terrible. We have been at Katoomba Falls Caravan Park  http://members.quicknet.nl/tj.de.graaf/Blue-Mountains.htm
We have had in the Netherlands in our neighborhood dune fires a few times, but that does not mean anything when you see this.

I think you will find that it is closed at the moment due to fires or fire risk. I dont think many places have had fires like this ....

I think this summarises it

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-27/bushfires-devastate-ancient-forests-and-rare-wildlife/11733956

Well friends and neighbors I'm coming down to the photo finish.
I have over 500 images I have to describe, key word and upload this morning.
I'm doing another shoot this afternoon.
Tomorrow is Christmas day, I'm going out to dine with my wife and friends.
Won't be getting much work done.
I love a tight deadline.
Looks like thursday will be the "10,000 image port" for me.
I do have another shoot planned for Saturday - Just in case.
I suppose I could add in the 475 videos I have, but that would be cheating.
IT'S 10,000 IMAGES BEFORE THE YEAR IS OUT OR BUST!

11 minutes ago, Grossinger said:

Well friends and neighbors I'm coming down to the photo finish.
I have over 500 images I have to describe, key word and upload this morning.
I'm doing another shoot this afternoon.
Tomorrow is Christmas day, I'm going out to dine with my wife and friends.
Won't be getting much work done.
I love a tight deadline.
Looks like thursday will be the "10,000 image port" for me.
I do have another shoot planned for Saturday - Just in case.
I suppose I could add in the 475 videos I have, but that would be cheating.
IT'S 10,000 IMAGES BEFORE THE YEAR IS OUT OR BUST!

I've no idea how you do it Joe! But I very much expect you will have this nailed with time to spare. Well done!!! Enjoy your well earned rest on Wednesday :D Happy Christmas!