Best SS friends and mates Club

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I have to assume that based on your recent string of posts that you are now well within your own new 24K per year threshold for being allowed to speak? Not that you yourself would be subject to any

Sounds like you haven't leaned much about stock photography with your time here.

Bad Idea. If you give Pete the chance to write something, you get "war and peace" in double size.  So better, if he keeps calm. 

Posted Images

It looks like an amazing place. I've never been to the States. I should have realised you would have been there before. 

Looking forward to seeing your work when you get back, Joe 🙂

On 5/25/2019 at 6:12 AM, Grossinger said:

I bought an A6300 for a lot of my photography in stores, parks and other public places. Not as threatening as a big DSLR or mirrorless. I also just bought a FDRAX-53 camcorder I have not yet used vey much. I will on this trip though. I really love the A6300 and will probably start liking the camcorder as well. So for now I'm good to go.

I might get a Sony A6300 with either a wide-angle 10-18mm or tele 55-200mm to use next to the A6000 +16-50mm I already have. The price of the A6300 with lens is now only €100 more than I paid for the A6000 2 or 3 years ago. And I must agree that using a camera as small as the the 6000 series attracts very little attention from possible jobsworths who would certainly approach to ask what you were doing if you have a big DSLR around your neck!

2 hours ago, Milleflore Images said:

Yes, I went from Nikon to Sony with the a7rII 3 years ago and very happy - and in case you missed it from an older thread ...

https://500px.com/photo/116643715/the-a7rii-is-here-by-john-wilhelm-is-a-photoholic?ctx_page=1&from=search&ctx_type=photos&ctx_q=sony+a7r+camera+bed

😊

lol love that!

24 minutes ago, KeremGogus said:

Why so many of you switching to Sony? ^_^ 

Marketing. SONY isn't a camera company, it's a diversified consumer electronics and entertainment giant part of a larger keiretsu in Japan although Sony is starting to step away from that Japanese tradition. SONY's marketing is quite simply - genius. Mainly aimed towards new photographers who are wanting to shoot professionally, Sony's marketing team successfully makes new photographers believe that they will "Take Better Pictures" with their new Sony and more importantly if you upgrade to the next 'Mark IV' you can take even better photos, so many people ditch their 'out dated' DSLR for a new Sony mirrorless system. Some pros too and successfully so. I live in Japan and have been to sports events, on street Vogue shoot and have yet to see any of these professionals use a Sony. And for the record the the camera that out sells them all combined is the Fuji Instax.

An edit: Sony's flagship camera is the A7RIII - no AA filter, very sharp with top glass on the business end. 

4 minutes ago, Grossinger said:

Nikon does not make a camera close to the Sony A6300 series. Very small and very capable. Sometimes a big DSLR attracts too much attention.
Nikon does not make a camcorder.
Nikon has been way late coming out with a mirrorless camera. Way late.

Two completely different markets. The a6300 just like its cousin the NEX series is marketed really as a small prosumer/consumer vacation camera NOT a professional level system but that's not what its for anyway. Nikon doesn't make a camcorder? No they don't they've incorporated their video into their cameras like everyone else. Sony makes very capable camera systems but so does Nikon and Canon, Fujifilm, Sigma, Panasonic, Olympus, Mamiya. 

1 minute ago, Grossinger said:

I don't give a rat's tonail about our marketing theory. What I stated holds. Nikon don't make it and Sony does. Simple. If I want market theory I will go read Forbes.

'Nikon don't make it and Sony does.' What does this even mean? You literally have no idea what you're talking about. Nikon's D850 and other models are still some of the biggest pro sellers in the world, the D850 especially. You're still an amateur photographer no matter what camera you buy. The Canon 5DMIII is used by Dmitry R. one of the most talented photographers in the world, you gonna tell someone like that his Canon is 'no damn good' 'it ain't as good as my a6300?' LOL.

5 minutes ago, Wendy Townrow said:

reality is, we all have our own reasons for doing what we do ... nobody has to agree with our decisions  ... but nobody should be looked down on because of their decisions.

Well said, Wendy !

2 hours ago, Wendy Townrow said:

Sony are streets ahead in technology when it comes to mirrorless ,,,the others are in catch up mode! More bang for buck!

I shoot Canon (5D4), Nikon (D7200, 2 x D500), and Sony (A6000).  The Canon and Nikon raw files are much easier to post-process than the Sony raw files.  I just did a shoot yesterday (Sunday) using my 5D4 and A6000 as backup.  I spent much less time on the Canon files than I did the Sony files to achieve the same look.  More importantly, I've had my 5D4 since September of 2016, one of my D500s since August of 2017, and my A6000 since August of 2018.  I have shot many, many more images with both the Canon and Nikon over the A6000, but the A6000 is already showing signs of dust accumulating on the sensor, something I had to clone out from yesterday's shoot.  Sensor dust has not been an issue with my four DSLRs so far (5D4, D7200, and two D500s).  It's for this reason I'm not looking to "upgrade" to any other MILC in the foreseeable future, but will probably go with a D850.

Yes, Sony produces excellent sensors, but their menu systems are designed by overly-caffeinated engineers, not photographers.  Sony full-frame glass is also much more expensive right now than either Canon or Nikon glass, and Sony doesn't have the full line of support from third party lens makers (Tamron, Tokina, Sigma) which make some excellent glass for the money for Canon and Nikon.  (The Sigma Art and Sports series lenses are making Canon reinvent some of its L-series lenses!)  Sony's APS-C lenses - originally designed for the NEX system - are cheap hobbyist glass, at best.

The A6300 overheats shooting any 4K video longer than a couple of minutes, and the IBIS in the A6500 goes through batteries like a thirsty man in the desert goes through water.  So bad was the battery usage, that the recently released A6400 deep-sixed IBIS, opting, instead, to port higher end features, like eye AF, from the A9.

I don't have any experience with Sony's full-frame MILCs, but reviews of the Nikon Z6 and Z7 indicate that the image and video quality from these cameras is virtually identical to the A7III and A7RIII.  With my full stable of Nikon FX glass, if I were going to go mirrorless, I would opt for the Z6 or Z7, or just get another 5D4 at this point, given all my Canon glass.  DSLRs are not dead, and the first time some pro's shoot is ruined by sensor dust that he can't clone out, people will be glad that Canon and Nikon are still making them.

IMHO.  ;)

4 minutes ago, Wendy Townrow said:

My move to the Sony was dictated by the 6D turning up its toes ... the weight and how it feels in the hand. I have a metabones adapter so that I can use my Tamron and L series lenses ... I tend not to change cameras unless I "have" to! The Sony was more affordable than the Canon ...

I'm not saying people shouldn't buy or use Sony.  I'm simply expressing my thoughts having used all three systems together for almost a year now.  I like the small size and image quality of the Sony - when I can tweak it to taste in post - but the menus and full-on exposure of the sensor to the elements when you change lenses are definitely huge drawbacks in my book, and it's why - for my first venture into the Sony system - I went cheap in case I didn't like it.  I'm glad I did.  ;)

Bottom Line...Thats is correct. This is far from a argument. It is reality. I know Cameras and I know glass and what it is about . I've owned or shot them all from film to digital. And sorry None of you have. .....period. Film was easy and film was soft . digital is Not because something new comes along every 6 months AND, you Better Believe I have shot More new Cameras than anyone here. BIG STATEMENT? yes....... TRUTH....YES, ALSO. Why? because i can and Because I don't Live In the country somewhere On the planet. I Live and work In Los Angeles and close to the best Camera store anywhere. I Can and have Taken Just about every New Camera made Home and every lens also since digital Came around and did serious Bench testing Based On My experience and my time working For Tamron for 2 years.

Which Was a Joke BTW. But , they paid me in product which I sold On Early Ebay. Tamrom made One great lens. I own it. I see folks here recommending stuff I wouldn't recommend to anyone. and I simply don't have the time anymore to say the truth.

Every week and every Month I go to my Store and Take Home whatever is new and actually shoot with it.....I do it in a controlled environment. You DO NOT!

I am constantly shocked at How Bad this stuff is. It has become disposible. I have glass 35 Years old that resolves 80% better than anything new.

Why.....You say? because Glass Is my thing. going Back to 1957 Zeiss. my Glasses I wear all day everyday are Zeiss. My Eyes are My Income. Stock is Not.

Talk about new ?...OK I wanted a new Camera which I was ready for. a Few New clients were On the horizon, Clients that are VERY,VERY High end technically.

I was ready to spend a LOT. New glass,new company and had a complete Open Mind.  I tested every thing for 3 months. I took everything Home and used whatever the best glass was for each system.......

First Off leica had Nothing and Im a Leica Fan. It just seemed a stupid choice forgetting the silly cost.

Ok.....lets cut to 2 months later. I had shot everything Inside in a controlled studio environment Doing products and such and Outside doing street work, Even a new Album Cover..On the Fly, One lens Kind of stuff...........Then I try the New Little Nikon Z7. I said what the hell. I tested it and 2 weeks later. I bought it along with some new Glass...........

Two weeks later I wake Up That day and thought what The F was I doing?  That Had to be possibly the dumbest Purchase I ever made.

Because I NEVER fill out warranty Cards and Always advised against them, I took all these Toys back and traded for a D850,Vertical grip and kept my legacy Glass. This Camera is a Beast....Period and exactly what I need. I really can't see needing anything for quite a few years.

BTW. the government I shoot for now leases me a Phaseone 150IQ and 3 lenses. You haven't Lived until you try this. This ain't No MS camera.

And a Note to a Man I could have helped and been friends with who decided to Go His own way which i Kinda respect . He shot The Imperial Sand dunes and made 25 Cents. I shot the dunes and sold a Print last week for $3,700. he knows best i guess and seriously my Best wishes to him.To Bad He didn't Join 10 Years ago. make Images That last Joe Is my best advice.. Anyone can Just Take pictures.

OK Mahai. say something Prolific and Hateful. Thats your Talent man.BTW....what do you do for  Living. someone asked and I didn't Know or Cared actually.

Cat 26,890 Imperial Dunes.jpg

14 minutes ago, Laurin Rinder said:

Bottom Line...Thats is correct. This is far from a argument. It is reality. I know Cameras and I know glass and what it is about . I've owned or shot them all from film to digital. And sorry None of you have. .....period. Film was easy and film was soft . digital is Not because something new comes along every 6 months AND, you Better Believe I have shot More new Cameras than anyone here. BIG STATEMENT? yes....... TRUTH....YES, ALSO. Why? because i can and Because I don't Live In the country somewhere On the planet. I Live and work In Los Angeles and close to the best Camera store anywhere. I Can and have Taken Just about every New Camera made Home and every lens also since digital Came around and did serious Bench testing Based On My experience and my time working For Tamron for 2 years.

Which Was a Joke BTW. But , they paid me in product which I sold On Early Ebay. Tamrom made One great lens. I own it. I see folks here recommending stuff I wouldn't recommend to anyone. and I simply don't have the time anymore to say the truth.

Every week and every Month I go to my Store and Take Home whatever is new and actually shoot with it.....I do it in a controlled environment. You DO NOT!

I am constantly shocked at How Bad this stuff is. It has become disposible. I have glass 35 Years old that resolves 80% better than anything new.

Why.....You say? because Glass Is my thing. going Back to 1957 Zeiss. my Glasses I wear all day everyday are Zeiss. My Eyes are My Income. Stock is Not.

Talk about new ?...OK I wanted a new Camera which I was ready for. a Few New clients were On the horizon, Clients that are VERY,VERY High end technically.

I was ready to spend a LOT. New glass,new company and had a complete Open Mind.  I tested every thing for 3 months. I took everything Home and used whatever the best glass was for each system.......

First Off leica had Nothing and Im a Leica Fan. It just seemed a stupid choice forgetting the silly cost.

Ok.....lets cut to 2 months later. I had shot everything Inside in a controlled studio environment Doing products and such and Outside doing street work, Even a new Album Cover..On the Fly, One lens Kind of stuff...........Then I try the New Little Nikon Z7. I said what the hell. I tested it and 2 weeks later. I bought it along with some new Glass...........

Two weeks later I wake Up That day and thought what The F was I doing?  That Had to be possibly the dumbest Purchase I ever made.

Because I NEVER fill out warranty Cards and Always advised against them, I took all these Toys back and traded for a D850,Vertical grip and kept my legacy Glass. This Camera is a Beast....Period and exactly what I need. I really can't see needing anything for quite a few years.

BTW. the government I shoot for now leases me a Phaseone 150IQ and 3 lenses. You haven't Lived until you try this. This ain't No MS camera.

And a Note to a Man I could have helped and been friends with who decided to Go His own way which i Kinda respect . He shot The Imperial Sand dunes and made 25 Cents. I shot the dunes and sold a Print last week for $3,700. he knows best i guess and seriously my Best wishes to him.To Bad He didn't Join 10 Years ago. make Images That last Joe. Anyone can Just Take pictures.

OK Mahai. say some Prolific and Nasty. Thats your Talent man.

Cat 26,890 Imperial Dunes.jpg

Laurin given the discussion and that Mihai was not even party to it, was that comment to Mihai even necessary?

We all understand that different cameras have different uses .... we all understand that we all have different needs and priorities when it comes to cameras .... if you can make a good income from a print sale that is great, some people look at making their income from volume sales in a commercial market .... different horses for different courses. Nobody is going to agree on cameras, computers or software, that is the nature of humans!