Why my pictures are not selling yet

On 8/23/2018 at 5:08 PM, Richard Whitcombe said:

You have 14 photos out of 211,000,000.

So you have 0.0000066% of the total library.

Also to be blunt, the images aren't good enough.

Your first one is a bad semi silhouette of a building.  Its badly lit with a horrible colour cast.  It would/should have been rejected as part of review process.

You have a possible mobile phone snapshot of some ducks taken from a poor angle with nothing special.  There are 377,100 duck pictures on here already, most are far better.

Descriptions are poor. "A bird planning to fly" tells a buyer nothing.  What sort of bird?  What is it standing on? What sort of environment is it in?

You have tilted horizons on lots of the images.

Shutterstock has no quality control standards now so they get accepted but previously when they actually reviewed pictures i suspect only one of your 14 would actually have been approved.

All the shots look like walking around snapshots taken on a mobile.  There's nothing unique or any obvious market value for them - its the type of image anyone can take themselves without paying for.

I would be amazed if you get any sales at all as it stands.

I would suggest searching here for the types of thing you're taking, look at the images, see how they're taken and how they're better, learn from the descriptions and keywords and go from there.

?

On 8/22/2018 at 6:28 AM, Gudiya Design Arts said:

I am new to Shutterstock. Its been 22 days and I have posted 14 photos till date. While most of the photos are approved but nothing has been sold yet. I wish to know what I am doing wrong in my portfolio

These is my portfolio:

https://www.shutterstock.com/g/gudiya-babai+design+arts

Hi and Welcome

You have to ask this question after 5 years.

On 8/22/2018 at 8:58 AM, Gudiya Design Arts said:

I am new to Shutterstock. Its been 22 days and I have posted 14 photos till date. While most of the photos are approved but nothing has been sold yet. I wish to know what I am doing wrong in my portfolio

These is my portfolio:

You just need more practice and more uploading. You've just taken the first step, just keep going. These probably won't make much money, but don't expect them to. Just keep throwing images, keep shooting and improving your skills. Hard work and time spent, it will pay off--but it takes months. It seems disappointing now but just keep going

3 hours ago, oleschwander said:

Hmmm - what about learn to photograph first and THEN start to upload ...?!

How can a person learn how to shoot by spamming with hundreds and hundreds of bad images ..? 

On your second point, I think you might have slightly misunderstood me. Practice, experimentation, variation, repetition.

On your first point I'm moderately taken aback by the use of all caps and multiple explanation points, but putting that aside, both approaches are entirely valid - some of us do it arse forwards, and some arse backwards. The point is that we're doing it.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks a lot guys for your valuable suggestion. I am very new to Photography as well as uploading images on Shutterstock. Your comments are really helping me on my journey to become a good photographer and a better image contributor at Shutterstock.

I know my initial pics might not be that great but specifically I am working on it, mainly on improving on my composition. I actually wanted to know which specific points I am lagging behind.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...
On 8/24/2018 at 2:08 AM, Richard Whitcombe said:

You have 14 photos out of 211,000,000.

So you have 0.0000066% of the total library.

Also to be blunt, the images aren't good enough.

Your first one is a bad semi silhouette of a building.  Its badly lit with a horrible colour cast.  It would/should have been rejected as part of review process.

You have a possible mobile phone snapshot of some ducks taken from a poor angle with nothing special.  There are 377,100 duck pictures on here already, most are far better.

Descriptions are poor. "A bird planning to fly" tells a buyer nothing.  What sort of bird?  What is it standing on? What sort of environment is it in?

You have tilted horizons on lots of the images.

Shutterstock has no quality control standards now so they get accepted but previously when they actually reviewed pictures i suspect only one of your 14 would actually have been approved.

All the shots look like walking around snapshots taken on a mobile.  There's nothing unique or any obvious market value for them - its the type of image anyone can take themselves without paying for.

I would be amazed if you get any sales at all as it stands.

I would suggest searching here for the types of thing you're taking, look at the images, see how they're taken and how they're better, learn from the descriptions and keywords and go from there.

Instead of insulting people why don't you give them real advices? Why you just waste your time?

You'll find that IS advice if you can be bothered to read it (clearly you can;t...).

Giving an honest appraisal highlighting the flaws that need to be corrected is not insulting - its reality.

A question was asked and several honest answers were given.  And as per usual for the question that gets asked several times every single week, the original poster simply vanished presumably aftering being disillusioned and not becoming a millionaire overnight with 8 mobile phone images.

On 8/22/2018 at 5:28 AM, Gudiya Design Arts said:

These is my portfolio:

I think most of your images aren't bad at all and definitely better than thousands hier on SS. Most of the advice made hier is legit. But don't take it too seriously. Its easy to be a "smart ass" when all you guys here already made the long way that Gudiaya Design Arts still has ahead of him/her. It doesn't mean its not worth trying. Its like advising someone to not open a restaurant in New York because there are already thousands. Of course right now you're probably at the stage of signing a rental agreement for opening a restaurant and expecting visitors to pay you money for something that's not there yet. But its a start. Keep uploading, keep searching for your own style, and visitors (buyers) will come. Good luck!

Also, in addition to your normal compositions, try framing subjects off center, leaving room for ad copy text, like this:

https://www.shutterstock.com/tr/image-photo/glass-chardonnay-white-wine-overlooking-city-1077823604?src=APfvtsrwfotCTuefoE-XmQ-1-7

This image has been selling quite regularly for me.

• 2 years later...