Sign in to follow this  
Steve Bower

What has SS done to cause drastic decrease in OD, EL & S&O Downloads

Others have eluded to this in various post but over the last few months I have seen a dramatic decrease in my earnings from ODs, ELs and S&Os.  Up until recently, I consistently earned more from ODs each month than I did from subscription downloads and my monthly earnings from the three above categories were two or three times my subscription earnings.  What's happened, are you experiencing the same thing??

I don't expect any real answers as to why, only whether other contributors have experienced similar decreases.  However, if someone has suggestions on how to reverse this trend, I'm sure we would all like to hear it (assuming others are having this problem, not just me).

Thanks for your input and comments!   

Hi Steve as I said recently in answer to another post I had quite a scattering of these over the past months and although I have only been on SS for just over a year my sales were building nicely almost every day from old original stock. So not sure what has gone wrong as the change to almost nothing seems as if someone as tinkered with the algos. I am sure there will be some making sales consistently but my gut feeling is same as you ... what or is going down here and with all the bugs etc may have provoked buyers to move elsewhere...

Subs are the most popular, or the sub priced SOD's when those come in. Had a few of those today too. Very sad. The past year or more has been decreasing steadily to almost exclusively subs. I think SS is pushing their package deals so they get a decent amt but we just get the subs.

Maybe it has to do with individuals content? My subs and ODs have not changed much. EL I never had many. S&O are quite variable, in number and value.

I see no drastic anything.

July: 41 downloads altogether, 40 of them were subs

August: 31 downloads so far, 28 subs, 2 ODD and one SOD that has paid $0,25 as well

(June: 45 downloads, 5 of them ODD, 1 EL)

I wonder if more and more of the more expensive licenses are being pushed or bought by people using Offset (the exclusive "high end" section).

More and more of their income comes from that according to the reports.

Maybe they know the micro part of the business is basically low price, low quality rubbish so treat it as such and push Offset for the higher quality stuff that typically sells more expensive licenses.

3 hours ago, HodagMedia said:

Maybe it has to do with individuals content? My subs and ODs have not changed much. EL I never had many. S&O are quite variable, in number and value.

I see no drastic anything.

Compared to when?  I remember when SOD's used to regularly pay about or more than EL's.  Now I get lots more SOD's, but much much less than what it used to get in commission.

Looking on my total stats both on demand and singles are roughly the same income and both of those are near exactly double my total earnings from ELs.

And they reduced the commission for an EL not that long ago too so the modern figure is probably even lower for EL.

I appreciate the responses.

Matylda,  I agree about the bugs.  If I were a buying customer, they'd send me looking somewhere else.

Sheila,  I appreciate your input.  Sorry to hear you're experiencing "my kind" of earnings decline from the "big 3".

Hodag Media,  Individual portfolio content definitely is the biggest earnings determiner.  Based upon your consistent earnings, you are providing what buyers want.

Paula,  You're probably right.  We always hope there is something we can do to change our situation.  It's usually out of our control.  Glad things are picking up for you.

Heidi,  Great to hear someone is "swimming up stream".   Keep up the good work.

Micheal,  Given the size and the quality of your portfolio, I can understand you getting both an EL and a S&O.  Are you getting fewer now than in the past?

Richard,  You probably have a point, the big bucks may be going to Offset.  Given the high quality of our two portfolios (LOL),  I wish you hadn't referred to the micro portfolio's of this business as, "basically . . . low quality rubbish".

Siridhata,  I too have seen a big decline in subs as well but until recently ODs, ELs and S&Os have kept my earnings up.  No longer is that the case. 

Maxel Tamor,  Regrettably, you are probably correct.  Honesty, is no longer the norm.

Laurin,  Glad to see you're back. Technology, in the wrong hands, it's not our friend.   

34 minutes ago, Steve Bower said:

Richard,  You probably have a point, the big bucks may be going to Offset.  Given the high quality of our two portfolios (LOL),  I wish you hadn't referred to the micro portfolio's of this business as, "basically . . . low quality rubbish".

The comment was made in general.  Shutterstock has stopped reviewing and quality controlling images.  Everything is accepted and a quick glance around the forum and main site can see this has caused a massive, bulk influx of images that would have been completely rejected not THAT long ago.  In other words, SS microstock is being flooded by low quality rubbish.  Offset is the only curated part now so has the "quality" that used to be found here as well.

Stock photo sales are crashing everywhere. Research yourself about where creators are getting photo content now. Its literally a feeding frenzy over at Unsplash for completely free full res images and alot of the quality is actually good. The site creators treat the contributors great in a free and open community to polish their egos with millions of views/downloads in order to manipulate them to give their property away for free. The site gets constant growth in traffic and positive media publicity while the photo industry goes down the drain thanks to the mindless sheep being led to slaughter. Images that cost time and money to create being given away for free does not create future value and is not sustainable. Consumers now think they deserve photos for free. Free commercial use of unreleased images of people and trademarked property. When the lawsuits start flying, it will all fall apart but the damage is already done in the minds of the buyers and the perceived value of an image. And its all because of the choices made by the photographers themselves.

Jason,

Couldn't agree with you more.  Your comments are definitely well written and obviously part of "my, our, problem" (ODs, ELs & S&Os). I'm glad I got my share of the profits early on as the future looks dim. 

20 minutes ago, Jason Dudley said:

Stock photo sales are crashing everywhere. Research yourself about where creators are getting photo content now. Its literally a feeding frenzy over at Unsplash for completely free full res images and alot of the quality is actually good. The site creators treat the contributors great in a free and open community to polish their egos with millions of views/downloads in order to manipulate them to give their property away for free. The site gets constant growth in traffic and positive media publicity while the photo industry goes down the drain thanks to the mindless sheep being led to slaughter. Images that cost time and money to create being given away for free does not create future value and is not sustainable. Consumers now think they deserve photos for free. Free commercial use of unreleased images of people and trademarked property. When the lawsuits start flying, it will all fall apart but the damage is already done in the minds of the buyers and the perceived value of an image. And its all because of the choices made by the photographers themselves.

+ one Million.

10 minutes ago, Laurin Rinder said:

+ one Million.

42 minutes ago, Jason Dudley said:

So very true. Well, it's not like we didn't see it coming!

1 hour ago, Jason Dudley said:

Images that cost time and money to create being given away for free does not create future value and is not sustainable

Lot's of people do like photography as a hobby. Evidently some people want to share their hobby for free.

However, maintaining + distributing a large collection of photos online to a wide audience is not cheap. There current model is useful for getting attention but unless the owners are filthy rich and generous there's got to be a plan for monetizing this in the long term.

10 minutes ago, Foodio said:

It is monetized already - just not for contributors. The two big sites (one already mentioned and the other I won't advertise) have advertising and affiliate links throughout. PT Barnum said it best!

I'm not noticing ads or affiliate links.

Initial thought that came to me is it's probably only the subject matter that people like to shoot for fun. When I looked I found I was wrong. I see staged business meeting photos with models. Seems other photo businesses are giving large photos away there as a way to advertise their own site with full res images.