Mariam Shafik 777

Using my own Stock photos to promote myself on Instagram

Lately, I've been thinking of using my own stock photos on Instagram to promote myself as a photographer (I'm still a newbie :) ). However,  I am concerned that this might affect my stock photo business in a negative way since using my photos on a social media platform might create opportunities for theft. Does anybody have experience with this?, I would highly appreciate any kind of advice.

Unless you have really huge follower base there, I would not even bother. As to theft, once someone buys your photo and uses it say in a news article or blogpost, it will be available for others to steal anyway.

Here are my thoughts...

I dont think there is much value in promoting a photographer unless you have a business model people will search for.  For example if you do wedding photos, head shots, real estate photography etc.  If that is the case you should start with a website then look to promote it with SEO and social media.  Before any business can have a marketing plan that is effective they have to first be able to define / identify who the buyer would be so they could target them.  People use photos in instagram to promote businesses within the images not the image itself.  The exception could be a famous artist with a massive following.  

If you are looking to promote your photos (ie stock photos) there is no real need since the target market is people buy stock images.  People dont search for photographers for stock photos, rather they look for photos and they know they are on stock sites.  There is a RARE chance they could search instagram to buy a photo but why...by the time you find the photo want, you may not be able to locate the photographer and the picture may not even be for sale or have the correct releases.  The majority 99.999999% of buyers of stock will on a site where they can buy it instantly ready to go, view a large variety, have low costs etc...

You might consider building a website that as a sales function...if someone sees your stock image in an article it will often have a credit to you so you could build awareness.  You could even link to your ShutterStock or other profile for people to buy images.

That said instagram and other platforms arent a bad place to be in social media.  You can get reaction feedback one others from your follower that can help with learning and improving.