Sign in to follow this  
J. Quendag

Lazy question about pears

I've looked at some 20 pages from the contributor guidelines, and then decided to be lazy and ask on the forum.
Suppose I'd wanted to submit the image below. It contains my own writing at the top but also an Adobe font which I use in PS, as part of a Typekit subscription. The pear photo is my own, edited.

- Can I use an Adobe font in such an image?
- Is this an illustration even if it is no vector, and I plan to submit as JPEG? (I suppose I would have to attach the pear photo as a reference image).

Thanks for the help!

pear.jpg

Google the name of the font to find the license you're granted with. Some fonts are ok to use just for personal matters and not for commercial projects. Stock is commercial project. :)

J, this is a wonderful image! I would say that you should carefully investigate font licences so you can continue producing work like this.

20 hours ago, NJUBA YUSUF said:

intresting

Thanks Njuba, I see you've been uploading ;-). Good luck with sales!

9 hours ago, urbazon said:

Google the name of the font to find the license you're granted with. Some fonts are ok to use just for personal matters and not for commercial projects. Stock is commercial project. :)

That's a good point, will do, thanks.

5 hours ago, Brian Yarvin said:

J, this is a wonderful image! I would say that you should carefully investigate font licences so you can continue producing work like this.

Very encouraging Brian, your kind remark - thank you! (insert smiley here).

From Adobe Typekit Q&A:

Can I use synced fonts to create a logo or other images? 
Yes. You can use the fonts in any desktop program (such as Adobe Photoshop) to create images, which you can then use for any purpose. This includes generating a PDF, EPS file, or bitmapped file such as a JPEG or PNG.

Can I use synced fonts for commercial projects or client work?
Yes. You can create digital designs or print work for your own use or for client projects. This includes generating a PDF, EPS file, or bitmapped file such as a JPEG or PNG.

Can I modify the look of a font and use it for commercial purposes?
Yes, you can modify or decorate type that you have converted to outlines. The resulting image may be copyrighted or registered as a trademark, or used in commercial products.

Can I use the fonts to create products I will sell commercially, such as t-shirts, posters, books, magazines, or other printed merchandise?
Yes. You can use synced fonts for any kind of merchandise, whether you’re designing a t-shirt for a friend or product packaging for a client. Other printed products, such as books or magazines, are permitted as well. There is no limitation on the number of impressions or items you may produce.

Reading the above it seems at first glance I'm allowed to use Adobe Typekit fonts in stock. I will mail their support to be sure (and also, if they agree, to have an argument ready if Shutterstock would reject for this reason).