FocusBreatheShoot

How many people solely use their iPhone for stock?

I own a 5DIV and some L glass and truly love them, but the weight is getting to me a bit, especially when lugging them around on holidays.

I find myself using my old iPhone 6 more and more and think the images are acceptable for stock.

Anybody out there only using their iPhone or whatever brand solely for stock and doing well?

To be honest, I take photos's for my pleasure (with heavy DLSR and lenses) and hopefully get some for stock.   I (personally), don't take many snaps (only for personal use), with my iPhone so the answer for me is a no!  Not unless there was something worth taking and i only had my iPhone with me - but i'm sure thats just me!

It depends on the kind of stuff you are taking - for my personal use, an iPhone wouldn't be much good.  Thats not to say it's not good, but depends on the kind of stuff you shoot - street photography probably great.

8 hours ago, FocusBreatheShoot said:

I own a 5DIV and some L glass and truly love them, but the weight is getting to me a bit, especially when lugging them around on holidays.

I find myself using my old iPhone 6 more and more and think the images are acceptable for stock.

Anybody out there only using their iPhone or whatever brand solely for stock and doing well?

Well I'm not submitting phone shots at the moment, but I'm taking a peek at the Huawei P20 Pro.  Leica lens, lots of internal capability, outstanding images for a phone, with an equally outstanding price (as in not cheap!).  I need to change my current phone 'cos it's kaput, but need to get a handle on the cost.

12 minutes ago, FrontlitPhotography said:

Well I'm not submitting phone shots at the moment, but I'm taking a peek at the Huawei P20 Pro.  Leica lens, lots of internal capability, outstanding images for a phone, with an equally outstanding price (as in not cheap!).  I need to change my current phone 'cos it's kaput, but need to get a handle on the cost.

Exactly like you :)
So I will wait the return about your experience ;)

35 minutes ago, Maxal Tamor said:

Exactly like you :)
So I will wait the return about your experience ;)

Here's some examples from Lara Platman - she covered the Le Mans 24-hour race on behalf of Huawei, using the P20 Pro throughout.  

https://laraplatman.photoshelter.com/gallery/Le-Mans-on-the-Huawei-P20Pro/G0000pacpy.Za0mo/

I feel a plunge coming on!  My options are limited somewhat as I need a dual-SIM phone, and the thought of having the P20 in my pocket all the time is too tempting.

Well I took the plunge and got the Huawei P20 Pro.  This shot is straight from the box, before I've read the manual, without looking at any settings, just took it out and hit the button.  So, guesswork on settings, no post-processing (which shows, I know), but it can do so much more.  This is a jpeg, 2736x3648, 2.2Mb, ISO50.  Raw setting is in the manual somewhere...

I've ended up with this because I needed a new phone, and thought why not get good camera capability too?  Looks like it will be a great piece of kit to have with me all the time - even at work.

Huawei first - Copy.jpg

IPhone shots you see that look stunning do not show the thousands of dollars worth of lighting also being used. It’s all about the lighting. I use the IPhone X but not for stock maybe video footage occasionally and the portrait effect is a pretty cool feature. Unless the lighting is perfect any stock photos accepted for commercial will only sell as subs a few times at most. Although, you would probably have better success with the IPhone for editorial shots and footage

sorry that nor the le mans images really do it for me, but I can see how they might do it for some buyers. What is it exactly that impresses you about the image of the chandelier? It's a technically iffy photo of a chandelier to me.

I guess it depends what you shoot. For me, one of the beautiful things about photography is the sheer joy of experimenting with different lenses to capture things that you wouldn't otherwise notice in a wide variety of ways. Because everyone takes photos on their phones they're used to seeing images that way rather than with, say, the Voigtlander 50mm F1.1 Nokton which renders the world in a very beautiful way.

Anyway, I'm probably far too close to the fine art fringe of stock than most so take my bias with a pinch of salt 😉

21 hours ago, John Grummitt said:

What is it exactly that impresses you about the image of the chandelier? It's a technically iffy photo of a chandelier to me.

Lol, harsh but true.  I was impressed at how it dealt with the high contrast, as a shot taken as is, on the most basic settings, with no 'user input'.  Remember, I needed a phone so decided to get a decent camera capability too.  Hopefully any aimed-for shots I take on the fly will be good enough to submit, once the settings choices are brought into play.

You're a hard man to please, John.  Should get a job as a reviewer ......