I'm puzzled.....again. There are Many photos of The Giants Causeway, the World Heritage site in Northern Ireland [most of which are horribly oversaturated BTW].  So following my recent trip to the area I sent in five shots as 'Editorial' as there were tourists I do not know enjoying the day. All five submissions were rejected with this note...…..

Non-Licensable Content: Due to legal compliance restrictions, we cannot license this content in our collection.

As there are already shots of the place on site must I assume they slipped through our rigid acceptance procedures?

All advice greatly accepted.

Thanks

As I understand SS updates periodically lists of what things are and are not acceptable. Looking at previously submitted/accepted stuff is not a good indicator of whether your similar/identical image will be accepted as well. And also yes, a slips do happen as reviewers vary a lot it seems in how picky they are about things.

Strange! I have a bunch of pics from there- accepted about a year ago. One has a person far away. SS and one other agency accepted it; a third wanted a model release. 

Everything I submitted from the warriors celebration parade in Oakland was rejected for non-licensable content too. I emailed support and they informed me that the team restricts images of any of their gear and players. Only their photographers are allowed to use it for commercial OR editorial purposes (so they didn't accept any of my editorial images either).

Sheila, The Giants Causeway has nothing to do with the sports team The Giants. 

George, any possibility that there is graffiti scribbled on the rocks somewhere? Which would be a terrible crime, but who knows. People are stupid. Graffiti gets an image rejected for "non-licensable content".

George, check the KIRL, you'll see that The Giants' Causeway is a National Trust site and - 

• The National Trust does not permit photography or filming at its properties for commercial use or for reproduction in any form without prior written permission.

That will be the rejection reason.  Images already on the SS site are no guide to what is acceptable today, unfortunately.

And just to add to this, from the National Trust Images website: 

Visitor Photography

Out of doors at NT properties
All visitors to National Trust properties are allowed to take photographs out of doors for their own private use. Any requests from individuals wishing to sell or publish photographs should be directed to images@nationaltrust.org.uk

Indoors at NT Properties

Amateur photography (including filming) without flash is now permitted in historic interiors at the Property or General Manager's discretion. As with outdoor photography, any photographs taken are strictly for private use, and enquiries about selling or publishing photographs should be directed to images@nationaltrust.org.uk.

I used to have some shots of the Giant's Causeway, accepted on SS, but they deleted them all without warning a couple of years ago. Must have been a policy change.

Thank you all for your replies. I had wondered if the national trust had something to do with it....... But as the National Trust owns so much of rural UK, especially in National Parks like the Lake District, I did not think they placed restrictions on landscapes..... I must have a word......or more importantly get retrospective permission for the shots I took before resubmitting.

Thanks again everyone.

1 hour ago, oleschwander said:

It’s incredible that the authorities can prohibit use of photographs from our nature which should belong to all of us.

I'm inclined to agree, but....

Firstly, the NT is a charity rather than 'authority', and it has its own imagery sales site, with their own photographers, so there's a bit of protectionism there.  Secondly, there's a thing about trying to limit damage to some sites through the volumes of people that would be taking shots.  Plenty of on-line articles about the problems globally with the sheer volume of picture-takers (Instagrammers in particular) at famous landmarks.

We all still have access, we can all take pictures, just can't sell them.

Again I have problems with the approval of the photo. I filled in the photo, fitted the model release, and now they require me the property release. I looked at the shutterstock, there have many  photos from this place.
Why block my upload?

IMG_6113.PNG

chaika-kateryna-tirta-gangga-2018-04-17.jpg

1 hour ago, FrontlitPhotography said:

Plenty of on-line articles about the problems globally with the sheer volume of picture-takers (Instagrammers in particular) at famous landmarks.

I see what you mean, but aren’t the ‘amateur’ photographers/tourists and Instagrammers the worst to vandalize the nature ..?

1 hour ago, SoXWhite said:

Again I have problems with the approval of the photo. I filled in the photo, fitted the model release, and now they require me the property release. I looked at the shutterstock, there have many  photos from this place.
Why block my upload?

IMG_6113.PNG

chaika-kateryna-tirta-gangga-2018-04-17.jpg

It’s another thread. But it is the yellow dress or the fountains - or both ...

4 hours ago, george green said:

Thank you all for your replies. I had wondered if the national trust had something to do with it....... But as the National Trust owns so much of rural UK, especially in National Parks like the Lake District, I did not think they placed restrictions on landscapes..... I must have a word......or more importantly get retrospective permission for the shots I took before resubmitting.

Thanks again everyone.

That does seem strange - a bit like prohibiting Lands End!!!  At the end of the day the trust owns the land around the causeway - not the actual causeway itself - if I were you I'd try again!

I also have NT photo's that have been accepted as editorial  - maybe try again and hope for another reviewer.  

I also had one of Cliveden - taken from public land across to Cliveden itself and I contacted NT and they said as it was taken off the actual grounds it was allowed.

Good luck - I'd be interested to know if you get them submitted.

18 minutes ago, paula french said:

...  At the end of the day the trust owns the land around the causeway - not the actual causeway itself ....

Er, nope.  The Giant's Causeway is a World Heritage site owned and managed by the National Trust.

Still, I agree it is a bit daft, but if you're on their property, taking a picture of their property, well, you end up with a bot-fed rejection.  

Where can I take photographs?

Outdoors: all visitors to National Trust properties are allowed to take photographs out of doors for their own private use. Any individuals wishing to sell or publish photographs should contact images@nationaltrust.org.uk.

Indoors: amateur photography (including filming) without flash is now permitted in historic interiors at the Property Manager’s discretion. As with outdoor photography, any photographs taken are strictly for private use, and enquiries about selling or publishing photographs should be directed to images@nationaltrust.org.uk. However, visitors must be aware that at some places, there may be copyright issues, and further permissions may be required in respect of collections not owned by us. In these situations the Property Manager's decision as to whether photography is allowed is final.

Above is a section taken from the National Trust website.

Hope this helps

3 hours ago, oleschwander said:

It’s another thread. But it is the yellow dress or the fountains - or both ...

Not the dress, but the tattoo on her ankle. Tattoos are now considered artwork. Have to remove in photoshop.

And the location of course. You'd have to prove it is some public place, and then hope they don't have restrictions on taking commercial photos there, as is discussed in original thread.

Just had a whole batch rejected for 'non licensable content', resubmitted got same rejections. These were all landscape shots taken in different parts of the UK. Eventually told that they were of National Trust land/properties, but the nearest NT land or property to any of the shots was 2 miles away!

As a new contributor, I have had about 50% of my submissions rejected  for property / model releases - I guess I'm just learning the rules. However, a couple of them were of sunsets with distant silhouettes of people rejected for lack of model release. Is that correct?

P1010442.jpg

P1010680.jpg

I will not advertise any NT property by making a photo or video available. I once asked for permission to put a photo on Shutterstock I had already taken, of the stones at Callanish and they required me to to pay £500.  You need a lot of sales to make any money on NT properties. Or you could get a licence. http://www.nationaltrustimages.org.uk/professional-photography

But you can't try the "Editorial" trick as you are making them available for your financial benefit.

Mind you I have taken and sold photos of NT properties from outside the property, but only landscape type. Buildings would fall foul of Property Release under current standards.

I have emailed NT with my enquiry with one of my images attached. I await an answer and will post their reply on the forum, but I hold little hope of my images being accepted unless I purchase a licence, as a full professional photographer would.

7 hours ago, TomCarpenter said:

I will not advertise any NT property by making a photo or video available. I once asked for permission to put a photo on Shutterstock I had already taken, of the stones at Callanish and they required me to to pay £500.  You need a lot of sales to make any money on NT properties. Or you could get a licence. http://www.nationaltrustimages.org.uk/professional-photography

But you can't try the "Editorial" trick as you are making them available for your financial benefit.

Mind you I have taken and sold photos of NT properties from outside the property, but only landscape type. Buildings would fall foul of Property Release under current standards.

Ooops - I have a few on here under editorial - should I delete them?

I received a reply very promptly and it is pretty clear that we can not submit any photos taken on NT property without a commercial licence. Sorry if that is inconvenient, but I for one will be double careful of where I take my shots from in future. I will stick to public roads where possible! 

Many thanks for your email.

Yes that’s correct – we do not permit any images taken on National Trust land to be submitted to online photo libraries, agencies, on-line providers or directly to image buyers.

Please read through a brief description of our Photo Policy below, and let me know if you have any questions:

Photo Policy

Access to take photographs or make films for anything other than ‘personal use’ requires a licence and there may be a licence fee to pay.

Our definition of ‘personal use’ includes sharing the images with friends and family and using the images for your own private study. What it does not include is selling or distributing the images in any way for publication (electronically or print).

Commercial photography and filming on National Trust land:

If you plan to take commercial photography on National Trust land you must first gain permission from our Filming & Locations team.

Commercial photography is any photography that will be used in a product for sale or distribution for direct financial gain or marketing/ promotional purposes.

Commercial filming is any filming that will be used for direct financial gain or marketing/ promotional purposes.

Prior consent is required for both commercial photography and filming on National Trust land. Contact: filmoffice@nationaltrust.org.uk

Please also take a look at our filming locations website.

Requests managed at property level:

• Wedding, engagement and portrait photography
  • Student photography
  • Photography workshops

Requests to undertake the above are managed directly by property staff. Please contact the National Trust property directly for further information. You will need to complete a booking form and contract, and there may be a fee to pay.

Press Photographers:

The National Trust Media Pass does not entitle journalists to take photographs for publication. All requests from newspapers and press agencies must be addressed to the Images Team.

Contact images@nationaltrust.org.uk

Editorial photographers:

Eligible professional photographers can now acquire an annual license from National Trust Images to take photographs out of doors on pay-on-entry National Trust land for editorial use only. For further information about the scheme please contact permit.photography@nationaltrust.org.uk

Professional photographers:

Professional photographers must gain consent prior to taking commercial photography on National Trust land. Please note, images taken at National Trust properties must not be submitted to photo libraries, agencies, on-line providers or directly to image buyers.

Please contact filmoffice@nationaltrust.org.uk to gain prior consent for your photo shoot.

Visitor photographers:

Visitors are permitted to take photographs at National Trust properties for their own personal use only. Amateur photography and filming of historic interiors, without flash, is permitted at the property’s discretion. Please speak to a member of staff at the property to find out what their policy is.

What about social media?

Visitors are entitled to post their photographs of National Trust places on their personal social media accounts as it falls within our definition of ‘personal use’. However, this does not include business accounts. If a user’s social media account is commercial they will need permission to use photographs of National Trust places from National Trust Images.