Hey guys, I just made my first sale today and I'm super pumped! I'd really appreciate some advice on how to increase downloads besides uploading more. I just got a new camera so I'm going to try and upload as many photos as I can in the coming weeks, but I'd love to hear some tips from some photographi veterans. 

Congrats Liam! That´s a nice feeling. You do have to upload more, maybe around 1000 to see daily downloads. Try to saturate a little your pics so they look more interesnting, and some of your pics look underexposed.

11 minutes ago, sebaska75 said:

Congrats Liam! That´s a nice feeling. You do have to upload more, maybe around 1000 to see daily downloads. Try to saturate a little your pics so they look more interesnting, and some of your pics look underexposed.

Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it! I'm still in the learning process with my new camera so I'll need to practice some more in those areas. 

Congrats on your first sale. It's a great feeling isn't it :D 
You've got a long hard learning curve ahead. I suggest you just take your time, don't rush to fill your port. Stop and think what you are doing. Yes, you need quantity, but you also need quality, images that buyers want, keyworded well so they can find them and many other things. 
A good place to start is looking through old forum posts and reading through the contributor blog, there is heaps of great info in them. But it depends on what your questions are as to what you would want to read first.
Good luck, and welcome aboard.

Congrats on the first sale. Like Paul said you are now a published photographer! I'm new here too but definitely read the forum and follow the advice that is given to everyone. Keep uploading and the sales will keep coming. :)

1 hour ago, oleschwander said:

A sale with so few pictures - that’s great ...

that's what I thought!

Congrats!  Nice sunsets and birds!  Which image sold?

The word in your intro should be spelled amatEUR, not amatURE.  Honestly, I wouldn't use the word amateur to describe yourself at all.  You just made a sale!  You're now a professional!

Variety.  No more than 3 images in a consecutive series of the same thing (I just deleted most of my images of American flags, keeping only the 2-3 cream of the crop that are actually selling).

We just had a CUSTOMER post in here saying images of people WITH MODEL RELEASE (for widespread commercial use) sell best.  This is not possible for some of us, because some of us don't work with models willing to sign their likenesses away, so...

Transportation images sell pretty well for me.

On 7/11/2018 at 6:55 PM, Mike Kuhlman said:

Congrats!  Nice sunsets and birds!  Which image sold?

The word in your intro should be spelled amatEUR, not amatURE.  Honestly, I wouldn't use the word amateur to describe yourself at all.  You just made a sale!  You're now a professional!

Variety.  No more than 3 images in a consecutive series of the same thing (I just deleted most of my images of American flags, keeping only the 2-3 cream of the crop that are actually selling).

We just had a CUSTOMER post in here saying images of people WITH MODEL RELEASE (for widespread commercial use) sell best.  This is not possible for some of us, because some of us don't work with models willing to sign their likenesses away, so...

Transportation images sell pretty well for me.

Thanks for the advice! When you say no more than 3 do you mean just no more than 3 of the same time and place just from different angles or do you mean similar in general? I've been shooting a lot of flowers recently but a lot of different varieties. Is that still ok or no? Also this is the photo that was downloaded!  :)

https://www.shutterstock.com/image/image-1112988737

Congratulations...that is a special moment indeed.  So there will be others...first time you sell one every day in a week.  Then two, three, etc.  1000 uploads.  First withdrawal, First $500.  It gets to be a fun experience for the hobbyist.

I am that CUSTOMER guy...people images alway sell well but you dont need a model..kids and friends in genuine situations do well.  You need to tell a story in the image...

You have some nice images but when it comes to landscape consider this... you need some copy space.  The landscape you are selling do great if I was writing an article on wetlands but...lets use the the one with the dock as an example...think if I was doing a website background or hero image for a local investment group and I am showing people they can have a great retirement with sunsets and a dock...very attractive image for that home page...except...it needs some copy space.  Selling for marketing is different than art.  Take some time and look at websites.  Some sort of extra sky or composition that allows for words in top left or top right 1/4 help....also horizontal images with left or right left open help too.

Titles and key wording too...

I like the potential of your dock picture but the title “Lake Nipissing in the Fall” is not very good for a search...how many people will be looking for Lake Nipissing?  Why not “Old rustic wooden dock extending out in to calm wetland waters during autumn sunset at lake Nipissing”.  As a buyer I would be looking for wooden, dock, calm, water sunset, fall.  Your title would only have one of those words.  Spend time looking at others images and titles.

FYI the only thing I find a bit odd on the dock image that would keep me buying that image for marketing (besides copy space)  is the end of the dock and the reflection of the trees on the water match or meet...just makes the composition odd...that said if you were to reshoot that dock during many seasons you will make some great shots.  Not saying it wont sell but you will need to learn that non-editorial images will get scrutinized for little things like that...if someone was building a brochure or website that will be seen day after day for years they get sensitive to the little things.

33 minutes ago, PhilipR said:

Congratulations...that is a special moment indeed.  So there will be others...first time you sell one every day in a week.  Then two, three, etc.  1000 uploads.  First withdrawal, First $500.  It gets to be a fun experience for the hobbyist.

I am that CUSTOMER guy...people images alway sell well but you dont need a model..kids and friends in genuine situations do well.  You need to tell a story in the image...

You have some nice images but when it comes to landscape consider this... you need some copy space.  The landscape you are selling do great if I was writing an article on wetlands but...lets use the the one with the dock as an example...think if I was doing a website background or hero image for a local investment group and I am showing people they can have a great retirement with sunsets and a dock...very attractive image for that home page...except...it needs some copy space.  Selling for marketing is different than art.  Take some time and look at websites.  Some sort of extra sky or composition that allows for words in top left or top right 1/4 help....also horizontal images with left or right left open help too.

Titles and key wording too...

I like the potential of your dock picture but the title “Lake Nipissing in the Fall” is not very good for a search...how many people will be looking for Lake Nipissing?  Why not “Old rustic wooden dock extending out in to calm wetland waters during autumn sunset at lake Nipissing”.  As a buyer I would be looking for wooden, dock, calm, water sunset, fall.  Your title would only have one of those words.  Spend time looking at others images and titles.

FYI the only thing I find a bit odd on the dock image that would keep me buying that image for marketing (besides copy space)  is the end of the dock and the reflection of the trees on the water match or meet...just makes the composition odd...that said if you were to reshoot that dock during many seasons you will make some great shots.  Not saying it wont sell but you will need to learn that non-editorial images will get scrutinized for little things like that...if someone was building a brochure or website that will be seen day after day for years they get sensitive to the little things.

Thanks so much, that's a lot of really good advice, I just assumed that the keyword section was what dictated what customers found while looking things up. I'll focus more on my titles now! I also get what you mean in regards to the copy space and composition, because I'm still just starting out I really appreciate the help! And I'll definitely revisit that location to get a shot during all the seasons.