The generic milestone thread...

1 hour ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Thanks a lot, Reimar!

As you can see, I have uploaded the image 2012. Back then, things were very different here than they are today. And those of the contributors who were here much earlier than me know such breathtaking numbers as 30000 downloads - for a single image.

Anyway: The photo is one of the best paid images I have ever taken. It did not cost me 3 minutes. Add to that the keywording and the upload. Nevertheless: converted the hourly wage is gigantic! I just had some lucky hits like that one and I am very happy about it.

It would be nice if that were still possible today, but those days are simply over.

Congratulations Wilm, indeed an amazing number of downloads for one image.

Your post here underlines what a sad pitiful state this industry has evolved to in recent years. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some stats for those, who are interested: - More than 10% of the total downloads from 1 image only. - 5 bestsellers (= 0,4% of my port) made 20% of the total downloads. - 20 most sellin

On the heels of an unexpected $70 SOD I have finally crawled over the $10,000 lifetime earnings threshold today. 

Celebrating a milestone today... it's been slow going lately, but a $44 clip sale today got me there. 🙂  

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

I can now also report a Schnapszahl. :) I just got the 6666th download for my bestseller.

Screenshot.jpg

Wow, that is some amazing number!

By the way, it cracks me up how they translated "Performers" as "Künstler", and out of this entire worldwide community nobody ever told them that it's nonsense in this context.

Nicht daß mir ein richtig guter Begriff einfällt...  "meistverkaufte Bilder"?

Thank you very much, Steven, Milo and Chy!

Steven,

that's right - the initial situation has deteriorated. Before I started with microstock, the circle of contributors was small and almost elitist. One contributor who exceeded the millions of downloads at AS alone once wrote that the RPD for images was a good $8 at that time. Unbelievable.

At AS we get a ranking. I was once at position 1.030 in the overall ranking. In the meantime I have fallen back to position 1.660. The number of contributors has increased exorbitantly and many of them were much more diligent than me. The market is hotly contested.
And that explains why certain images brought so many downloads back then - there was little competition. Today, of course, things look completely different.

This image sold only 206 times at AS btw. At other agencies there are much more downloads, but much less than here. I have other images that sell about equally well at all agencies. I think that this image simply got a very good start ranking at shutterstock but not at AS. Otherwise I cannot explain the different performance.

Milo,

You are right - the translation is miserable. They could have simply translated it as personal "bestseller", which is a common term in Germany, too.

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, dcurzon said:

Also, got another video sale (first sale of this one) from my rather small video portfolio.

$13 https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-1026017600

Not a good quality video, but unique.

How did you get a near 2 minute video approved? I've had a 59 sec long before and it was rejected for "too long".

• 1 month later...

As a frontline healthcare worker, I was one of the lucky ones to get the Pfizer Covid19 vaccine last weekend!   My arm was a bit sore for a couple of days, no big deal.  But more recently  I've also noticed that my skin has started to become scaley, I'm gnashing my teeth quite a bit, and I have this uncontrollable urge to jump into the closest swamp for a swim!

Screenshot_3885.jpg.f5a9874afa4ea6b4b267f529fe178a23.jpg

On 12/25/2020 at 9:09 PM, David A Litman said:

As a frontline healthcare worker, I was one of the lucky ones to get the Pfizer Covid19 vaccine last weekend!   My arm was a bit sore for a couple of days, no big deal.  But more recently  I've also noticed that my skin has started to become scaley, I'm gnashing my teeth quite a bit, and I have this uncontrollable urge to jump into the closest swamp for a swim!

Now, I’m scared ...!😱

On 12/25/2020 at 9:09 PM, David A Litman said:

Are you someone who has allergies (food, hay fever...), David?

Just now, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

:lol: You made me lough! Great! Thank you! Stay healthy and a happy new year for you!

Thanks and when I get in line, I will be getting the shot as soon as I'm allowed. Since I'm stuck at home, no work and nothing but time, I should be working to do positive things, but instead I'm making these stupid little creations?

47 minutes ago, PQK said:

Just reached tier 3 today, but unfortunately will lower to tier 1 two days later.

A big surprise for today as well, the last download (the 250th) is $8 . It may be a gift for new year.

Wish happy New Year to everyone!

Hopefully you'll make it sooner next year. Let me say, you aren't missing a big difference. I made level 4 sometime in the Fall and except for OD and Singles, hardly any significant difference on the subs. I think someone bigger or better, with more files and more volume, that could matter. Except they will move up faster to the higher levels, so not a huge problem for them either.

It's all relative.

6 minutes ago, Reimar said:

Pete, say it isn't so.  I was waiting for the cash come rolling in tomorrow.  Even if it's for one day.

To be fair and honest, I don't know, and for everyone, everything income, can be different.

Subs...

SS-levels-chart-subs.jpg

Level 1 is left, 2,3,4,5,6 and I'm still getting daily 10¢ subs. What can I interpret from that data? Most of the downloads are coming from 750 download monthly or annual accounts. Not a huge leap of logic or complex math. Say someone is level 3 instead, what's the difference? 350 annual with advanced billing is still 10c I'd get 12c. Or what's the same? Those same 750 download accounts.

Anyone level 1 to level 4 will have the majority of their downloads, from the same type account, and make the same amount of money. Level means nothing. Oh right, at level 4, I make a whopping, 2 cents more.  2cents.gif

Someone might ask, how many 12c downloads did I have in December? THREE, and they were all the same day, from the same buyer, for a series of three images. Stunning, I'm so excited, I made 6 cents more than if I was level 3. 💩

Where the levels do make a difference is SO, EL and OD. So depending on how many of those someone gets, the level does make a difference. 15%-20%-25%-30% means I'm making double what I did at level 1, which is nice!

All I'm getting at is this, the 10c downloads are not going to change or go away for most people, from level 1-4, and the amount of money difference for subs at any of those levels is insignificant. But moving up levels will make a change in a nice way to the other kinds of downloads. We shouldn't worry or care about the 10¢ downloads, but instead, pay attention to levels for the other kinds. 👍

The most positive part of the 10c downloads that I can see is, that the faster I get more of them, the sooner the other sales will go up in value. And 30% of whatever is much better than any fixed rate sub.

@Reimar, if you get more other kind of downloads than you do subs, you will see some benefits from each new level. If not, the change from one to the next, isn't as noticeable as we'd like to imagine.

In terms of famous quotes... It is what it is. 😉