The generic milestone thread...

1 hour ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Thanks a lot, Reimar!

As you can see, I have uploaded the image 2012. Back then, things were very different here than they are today. And those of the contributors who were here much earlier than me know such breathtaking numbers as 30000 downloads - for a single image.

Anyway: The photo is one of the best paid images I have ever taken. It did not cost me 3 minutes. Add to that the keywording and the upload. Nevertheless: converted the hourly wage is gigantic! I just had some lucky hits like that one and I am very happy about it.

It would be nice if that were still possible today, but those days are simply over.

Congratulations Wilm, indeed an amazing number of downloads for one image.

Your post here underlines what a sad pitiful state this industry has evolved to in recent years. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just reached 84,000 DLs and should have 10k photos very, very soon. My first DL was on 12/12/2012. Seventh anniversary coming up.     For those who are interested whether you ca

Some stats for those, who are interested: - More than 10% of the total downloads from 1 image only. - 5 bestsellers (= 0,4% of my port) made 20% of the total downloads. - 20 most sellin

Celebrating a milestone today... it's been slow going lately, but a $44 clip sale today got me there. 🙂  

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

I can now also report a Schnapszahl. :) I just got the 6666th download for my bestseller.

Screenshot.jpg

Wow, that is some amazing number!

By the way, it cracks me up how they translated "Performers" as "Künstler", and out of this entire worldwide community nobody ever told them that it's nonsense in this context.

Nicht daß mir ein richtig guter Begriff einfällt...  "meistverkaufte Bilder"?

Thank you very much, Steven, Milo and Chy!

Steven,

that's right - the initial situation has deteriorated. Before I started with microstock, the circle of contributors was small and almost elitist. One contributor who exceeded the millions of downloads at AS alone once wrote that the RPD for images was a good $8 at that time. Unbelievable.

At AS we get a ranking. I was once at position 1.030 in the overall ranking. In the meantime I have fallen back to position 1.660. The number of contributors has increased exorbitantly and many of them were much more diligent than me. The market is hotly contested.
And that explains why certain images brought so many downloads back then - there was little competition. Today, of course, things look completely different.

This image sold only 206 times at AS btw. At other agencies there are much more downloads, but much less than here. I have other images that sell about equally well at all agencies. I think that this image simply got a very good start ranking at shutterstock but not at AS. Otherwise I cannot explain the different performance.

Milo,

You are right - the translation is miserable. They could have simply translated it as personal "bestseller", which is a common term in Germany, too.

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, dcurzon said:

Also, got another video sale (first sale of this one) from my rather small video portfolio.

$13 https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-1026017600

Not a good quality video, but unique.

How did you get a near 2 minute video approved? I've had a 59 sec long before and it was rejected for "too long".