The generic milestone thread...

Congratulations, DaLiu! That's a great performance!

Yes, and unfortunately you are right - the reward for this will obviously be a reduction in your income.

I uploaded new images to the other agencies today. At shutterstock, I'll first take a look at how the new revenue model works. Shutterstock is not getting any new images.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some stats for those, who are interested: - More than 10% of the total downloads from 1 image only. - 5 bestsellers (= 0,4% of my port) made 20% of the total downloads. - 20 most sellin

I just reached 84,000 DLs and should have 10k photos very, very soon. My first DL was on 12/12/2012. Seventh anniversary coming up.     For those who are interested whether you ca

On the heels of an unexpected $70 SOD I have finally crawled over the $10,000 lifetime earnings threshold today. 

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, Steven Tritton said:

Awesome how long did it take to get there?

I uploaded 10 videos in 2014 and forgot them. They made about $400 by the time I remembered to look in November of 2017. Then I got inspired and started to upload in earnest around February of 2018.

39 minutes ago, Steven Tritton said:

Also did you achieve your RPD from mainly video sales?

No, it's actually about half and half. But I have way more stills (2700) than video clips (650).

1 hour ago, Milo J said:

Is it still legal to have a little fun with milestones on here? Thought this number combo was kind of a neat coincidence.

IMG_8792.PNG.d6cc92210edd4bdcab9ab666baa9b460.PNG

Congrats (genuinely)! Just think... now with the new royalties structure, you're guaranteed to earn that much again with 45,559 new downloads! 🤔

6 minutes ago, chyworks said:

Nice numbers, Milo J! 👍👍

That's great!  I hit $50,000 a few weeks ago then disabled my portfolio.  Everyone should do the same.  

Since June 1, 2020 when Shutterstock started it's grossly unfair earnings structure, contributors worldwide have taken 8,000,000 images off of the website with tens of thousands coming off daily. This is an unethical company with desperate leadership.

3 minutes ago, Working Title Productions said:

That's great!  I hit $50,000 a few weeks ago then disabled my portfolio.  Everyone should do the same.  

Since June 1, 2020 when Shutterstock started it's grossly unfair earnings structure, contributors worldwide have taken 8,000,000 images off of the website with tens of thousands coming off daily. This is an unethical company with desperate leadership.

Visited your website and your works are truly professional and impressive.

Not sure about the rest should do the same as everyone has their own story behind them..

But this i can say for myself, if only i have half your skills and technical know-how in video production, i would definitely not wasting my time in microstock business.

11 minutes ago, chyworks said:

Visited your website and your works are truly professional and impressive.

Not sure about the rest should do the same as everyone has their own story behind them..

But this i can say for myself, if only i have half your skills and technical know-how in video production, i would definitely not wasting my time in microstock business.

Thanks.  It’s a very part time thing and did seem somewhat worthwhile but not much anymore.  If anything it’s an excuse for business tax deductions.

Experiment: Within the last year from May 2019 till now, I submitted 100 pictures taken by phone to see Myself on how they were/ were not selling: crossed over 100 USD in total yesterday with them with 199 downloads, a bit under average return per download compared to my overall portfolio. 

Tiny money milestone, I am aware of it but that wasn’t the point of this milestone for me. 

It is not that even phone pictures wouldn’t sell. Everything sells as long as it is valuable/ gives value in any kind. 

I've got two small milestones today -

my 10 year Shutterstock anniversary (from the first submission)

and

100th download on my best selling video. I know that's not much, but it's a niche subject, and it got stuck at 99 for what seemed like forever, which was atypical. So, I'm glad to see it going again.

38 minutes ago, Milo J said:

I have the saddest milestone today: Sold a video clip for $0.34.

Yes, you read that right. A video clip. For 34 freaking cents. That's a record low for me.

Yes, Milo, this seems to be a milestone indeed! Don't you think now is the time to write a personal letter to Jon oringer and say thank you?

8 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

I've got two small milestones today -

my 10 year Shutterstock anniversary (from the first submission)

and

100th download on my best selling video. I know that's not much, but it's a niche subject, and it got stuck at 99 for what seemed like forever, which was atypical. So, I'm glad to see it going again.

Sari, I have no idea how it is with videos. But 100 seems to be a proud sum, as far as I read numbers here in the forum.

Congratulations!

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2020 at 10:59 AM, Little Adventures said:

Experiment: Within the last year from May 2019 till now, I submitted 100 pictures taken by phone to see Myself on how they were/ were not selling: crossed over 100 USD in total yesterday with them with 199 downloads, a bit under average return per download compared to my overall portfolio. 

Tiny money milestone, I am aware of it but that wasn’t the point of this milestone for me. 

It is not that even phone pictures wouldn’t sell. Everything sells as long as it is valuable/ gives value in any kind. 

Cool! But how can you tell if this 199dl/$100 all came from your cell phone photos? You kept some separate, detailed record apart from your overall portfolio and other downloads? And I assume you still did at least some basic postprocessing on them? Or you uploaded them "raw" from the mobile? Just curious. It's gotta be difficult to get blurred backgrounds (like your "trademark" vinery/grape yard images) with mobile phones, no? Or those were all by a proper camera? In any case nice achievement. 

A tiny "benchmark" for me yesterday the 50th DL of one image (another 20 DL of the same at iS), which also made it to the very top of the SS search out of 29750-ish images. A Ginkgo tree leaf : ). I took it some 3+ years ago with a tiny Lumix pocket camera. SS rejected it twice before I hammered it thru! Tells you how much (little) reviewers know! Tempting to delete it now here. Just bugs me to know that SS makes (according to statistics) $3.40 on images average, while they throw me 10-12 cents. If it started to sell at Dolby, I would chuck it here, but it doesn't sell at AS for some reason, nor at DT. 

5 hours ago, Blue Corner Studio said:

Cool! But how can you tell if this 199dl/$100 all came from your cell phone photos? You kept some separate, detailed record apart from your overall portfolio and other downloads? And I assume you still did at least some basic postprocessing on them? Or you uploaded them "raw" from the mobile? Just curious.

Yes, I created a set for phone pictures for SS. Edited and tagged them lightly on the pc though, for me on the phone directly I would need to spend more time doing that plus I cannot submit so easily to different platforms.
Didn´t track them on other platforms though, but phone pictures sell even on A***Y, would just have to track them differently then by hand then, that´s why I didn´t do it.

Blur is still difficult with my phone, at least not entirely how I would like it to look like. But overall my dslr camera is eigher quite shitty or my phone really good.

1 hour ago, Little Adventures said:

Yes, I created a set for phone pictures for SS. Edited and tagged them lightly on the pc though, for me on the phone directly I would need to spend more time doing that plus I cannot submit so easily to different platforms.
Didn´t track them on other platforms though, but phone pictures sell even on A***Y, would just have to track them differently then by hand then, that´s why I didn´t do it.

Blur is still difficult with my phone, at least not entirely how I would like it to look like. But overall my dslr camera is eigher quite shitty or my phone really good.

: ). thanks Little Adventures! I truly admire your phone (and your skills and sense to what may sell) cuz none (!!) of my 538 photos at Alamy ever sold. not one. that's partly the reason why I haven' closed my ss account yet. because even if it's just 10 cents here, but at least they sell. any other site (except for iS) is very, very slow for me and I just need to see that some of my photos do sell at whatever price (or more precisely regardless of my share of the price). otherwise I would have given it up long time ago all together.