dcurzon

The generic milestone thread...

2 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Actually, I should have a reason to celebrate.
66666 downloads at shutterstock. In 9.5 years.

I assume that shutterstock has earned six figures with my images. And now, as a reward, a slap in the face. In the form of an e-mail, which talks about a new "fair" commission for the providers.

We have a contract with shutterstock. But this "new" contract is, in my view, highly questionable from a legal point of view so far. There is talk of percentages. 15%, 20%, 25%, 30%, 35%, 40%.
Of what???

If I'm looking for a new job and the contract says: You get 35%, I won't sign this contract. Because I don't know what that means in actual numbers. And without knowing how much money that will be, such a contract cannot be made.

The shutterstock downloads make up a good 40% of my microstock downloads. If these downloads, which in any case have become significantly fewer in the last three years, now generate even less than before, I will have to think about the consequences by 31 December 2020 at the latest.

But at the moment, because shutterstock does not communicate openly, honestly and transparently, I can't even see how revenues will change. I will take a very close look at this in June.
The new "earnings schedule" must be published on the website on 01 June. Then we all know more. 

Anyway, I don't feel like celebrating anymore. I am annoyed by the way shutterstock communicates.

For me, the subs make up by far the largest part of the income. If they will only bring in 10 cents, I won't be able to compensate this with an increase in other income from actual 30% to 35% from June on. And I think that shutterstock has calculated exactly that.

66666.jpg

Congrats Wilm.

Yes, really can't wait to see the full earning schedule is being released so we all don't have to speculate frantically. 😅

Congratulations, DaLiu! That's a great performance!

Yes, and unfortunately you are right - the reward for this will obviously be a reduction in your income.

I uploaded new images to the other agencies today. At shutterstock, I'll first take a look at how the new revenue model works. Shutterstock is not getting any new images.

Is it still legal to have a little fun with milestones on here? Thought this number combo was kind of a neat coincidence.

IMG_8792.PNG.d6cc92210edd4bdcab9ab666baa9b460.PNG

27 minutes ago, Milo J said:

Is it still legal to have a little fun with milestones on here? Thought this number combo was kind of a neat coincidence.

Awesome how long did it take to get there? Also did you achieve your RPD from mainly video sales?

36 minutes ago, Steven Tritton said:

Awesome how long did it take to get there?

I uploaded 10 videos in 2014 and forgot them. They made about $400 by the time I remembered to look in November of 2017. Then I got inspired and started to upload in earnest around February of 2018.

39 minutes ago, Steven Tritton said:

Also did you achieve your RPD from mainly video sales?

No, it's actually about half and half. But I have way more stills (2700) than video clips (650).

1 hour ago, Milo J said:

Congrats (genuinely)! Just think... now with the new royalties structure, you're guaranteed to earn that much again with 45,559 new downloads! 🤔

6 minutes ago, chyworks said:

Nice numbers, Milo J! 👍👍

That's great!  I hit $50,000 a few weeks ago then disabled my portfolio.  Everyone should do the same.  

Since June 1, 2020 when Shutterstock started it's grossly unfair earnings structure, contributors worldwide have taken 8,000,000 images off of the website with tens of thousands coming off daily. This is an unethical company with desperate leadership.

3 minutes ago, Working Title Productions said:

That's great!  I hit $50,000 a few weeks ago then disabled my portfolio.  Everyone should do the same.  

Since June 1, 2020 when Shutterstock started it's grossly unfair earnings structure, contributors worldwide have taken 8,000,000 images off of the website with tens of thousands coming off daily. This is an unethical company with desperate leadership.

Visited your website and your works are truly professional and impressive.

Not sure about the rest should do the same as everyone has their own story behind them..

But this i can say for myself, if only i have half your skills and technical know-how in video production, i would definitely not wasting my time in microstock business.

11 minutes ago, chyworks said:

Visited your website and your works are truly professional and impressive.

Not sure about the rest should do the same as everyone has their own story behind them..

But this i can say for myself, if only i have half your skills and technical know-how in video production, i would definitely not wasting my time in microstock business.

Thanks.  It’s a very part time thing and did seem somewhat worthwhile but not much anymore.  If anything it’s an excuse for business tax deductions.

6 hours ago, Milo J said:

Congrats to you, Milo!

My latest milestone: 3 weeks that SS hasn't benefited from my work. :rolleyes:

Experiment: Within the last year from May 2019 till now, I submitted 100 pictures taken by phone to see Myself on how they were/ were not selling: crossed over 100 USD in total yesterday with them with 199 downloads, a bit under average return per download compared to my overall portfolio. 

Tiny money milestone, I am aware of it but that wasn’t the point of this milestone for me. 

It is not that even phone pictures wouldn’t sell. Everything sells as long as it is valuable/ gives value in any kind. 

I've got two small milestones today -

my 10 year Shutterstock anniversary (from the first submission)

and

100th download on my best selling video. I know that's not much, but it's a niche subject, and it got stuck at 99 for what seemed like forever, which was atypical. So, I'm glad to see it going again.

Sari, well done on the 100th video download. That is an amazing accomplishment. 

7 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

100th download on my best selling video.

For video, I think that's actually quite a nice milestone. Congrats!

I have the saddest milestone today: Sold a video clip for $0.34.

Yes, you read that right. A video clip. For 34 freaking cents. That's a record low for me.

38 minutes ago, Milo J said:

I have the saddest milestone today: Sold a video clip for $0.34.

Yes, you read that right. A video clip. For 34 freaking cents. That's a record low for me.

Yes, Milo, this seems to be a milestone indeed! Don't you think now is the time to write a personal letter to Jon oringer and say thank you?

8 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

I've got two small milestones today -

my 10 year Shutterstock anniversary (from the first submission)

and

100th download on my best selling video. I know that's not much, but it's a niche subject, and it got stuck at 99 for what seemed like forever, which was atypical. So, I'm glad to see it going again.

Sari, I have no idea how it is with videos. But 100 seems to be a proud sum, as far as I read numbers here in the forum.

Congratulations!

Milo, Wilm & Patrick - thanks :)

I'm sure there are videos that easily sell that in multiples, but the subject is such that it can be used around the world to express something. I don't have anything like that, however, LOL!

Also, Milo ----  34c is horrible! :(:(