The generic milestone thread...

Guest farbled
37 minutes ago, Laurin Rinder said:

You Have the Perfect "Stock" and "Artistic" sensibility. some Of the newer folks should bookmarked you. You do Not need 10,000 Images My friend. your doing Just Fine. very Impressed and very Proud of you.

Some of the older crowd should bookmark him as well. Lovely port.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some stats for those, who are interested: - More than 10% of the total downloads from 1 image only. - 5 bestsellers (= 0,4% of my port) made 20% of the total downloads. - 20 most sellin

On the heels of an unexpected $70 SOD I have finally crawled over the $10,000 lifetime earnings threshold today. 

Celebrating a milestone today... it's been slow going lately, but a $44 clip sale today got me there. ūüôā ¬†

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Laurin Rinder said:

You Have the Perfect "Stock" and "Artistic" sensibility. some Of the newer folks should bookmarked you. You do Not need 10,000 Images My friend. your doing Just Fine. very Impressed and very Proud of you.

Very agree. I bookmarked him since he was on Alamy ;).

3 hours ago, Reimar said:

Things are heading in the right direction for me.  I had a goal of $300/mo and last month hit $250:

SS.jpg.4b73ad155bd485c5d7b85ff119a79876.jpg

Great Reimar.

I see you made a very smart decision to spread the eggs to SS. I am not surprised by your growth. Well deserved after your hard work to get your lovely portfolio up. 

Anyway happy that you are with us :).

Mirco

Guest farbled
4 hours ago, geogif said:

I sold my first food photo. 
Inspired by @farbled who photographs his bestsellers in 30 seconds, I decided to take real authentic food photos in maximum half the time. 
This works quite well, only the sales have been missing so far. So far, and that's why this photo is a milestone for me.

simple-home-cooking-bachelors-marinated-

Awesome! One time saver is to have one simple setup where all I need to do is drop the plate in on the way to the dining room, shoot, tweak light as needed, shoot and then eat. :) I usually get 4 or 5 or 10 different shots to upload. (different angles, and always at least one vertical, etc). Then I upload them all over the next few weeks in different batches. I never had an issue with multiples, the cannibalization theory is mostly that, a theory. I know (because I have been told) a buyer will see one of mine that's close to what they want but not exactly, so they go to my port and find the one that fits.

Oh and if you have leftovers, re-plate the next day and do it again. :) Congrats on giving it a try, and let us know if it works. Definitely posts a shot of the entire meal as well and not only the close up. My 2 cents.

1 hour ago, geogif said:

Yes you have a very good and very big PF which surely is successful, congrats for that.

If you compare to A..y, for this year, by which factor does it differ ($, not DLs) ? 

Good question.  My A...y income has been declining since 2012 (1200/mo) in spite of adding about 800 images a year, down to $670/mo last year.  With the 20% cut in commission, and declining sales, this year will be worse, which inspired me to start here.  In the last two months SS has beaten A...y income.

11 minutes ago, Reimar said:

Good question.  My A...y income has been declining since 2012 (1200/mo) in spite of adding about 800 images a year, down to $670/mo last year.  With the 20% cut in commission, and declining sales, this year will be worse, which inspired me to start here.  In the last two months SS has beaten A...y income.

I expect your income on shutterstock is still in growing phase and the difference will even grow more. It is not a rule but in my case alamy is like 1/6 of Shutterstock.

Guest farbled
6 hours ago, geogif said:

I sold my first food photo. 
Inspired by @farbled who photographs his bestsellers in 30 seconds, I decided to take real authentic food photos in maximum half the time. 
This works quite well, only the sales have been missing so far. So far, and that's why this photo is a milestone for me.

I want to re-iterate that I am a hobbyist here. I put little work into it and gain a decent part-time income. There are others who do it differently and better, like Reimar just posted. Just so no one feels mislead that doing things the way I do, doesn't get them a full time instant income. :)

At least right away....

20 minutes ago, Reimar said:

thanks for detail answer. My income at a..y (with poor and small port) reduced to 0,00 since March 2019

6 minutes ago, farbled said:

I want to re-iterate that I am a hobbyist here. I put little work into it and gain a decent part-time income. There are others who do it differently and better, like Reimar just posted. Just so no one feels mislead that doing things the way I do, doesn't get them a full time instant income. :)

At least right away....

I have a fulltime job and no matter how hard I try, I do not loose it. 

And a wife and 3 daughters and no matter how hard I try, I ......

So MS is just hobby, but with the hope of some passive pocket money when I retire.

In fact MS pays all of my gear in the moment, including a planed camcorder at the end of the year (if I have some more video sales)

Guest farbled
1 minute ago, geogif said:

I have a fulltime job and no matter how hard I try, I do not loose it. 

And a wife and 3 daughters and no matter how hard I try, I ......

So MS is just hobby, but with the hope of some passive pocket money when I retire.

In fact MS pays all of my gear in the moment, including a planed camcorder at the end of the year (if I have some more video sales)

Bahahaha! I know that feeling about work. :) Not commenting on the family... lol

And I used my income the same way, new gear whenever, first class trips all over the world (and of course uploaded photos from some of them :) ). And of course free money for down the road.

I just was reminded in another thread how some "experts" say too many similars damages your port, and that it makes it sad for them, and that no one gets what they say (probably because of their ridiculously poor spelling and grammar, but anyway...).

While I understand they feel the need to diminish someone's work with no proof that "similars damaging earnings" is an actual thing, I want to say I never had a problem with it. In fact quite the opposite. So if you are not sure, upload it anyway. Serious buyers sometimes will license an entire series, especially with food. In my humble experience. 

As always, more than one way to do it. If it earns you money, its not a wrong way.

Guest farbled
1 minute ago, Grossinger said:

If there is one thing I've learned in my 153 days with Shutterstock it's not to pay any attention to the "Xperts"
They may not be wrong but they are not right either. We all come from different backgrounds and priorities, but the experts only judge from their point of view.
Plus a lot of them are ego strokers, braggers and underachievers in stock photography.
They can't just leave well enough alone. Hence my quest for a 10,000 image port this year. I'm learning an incredible amount as I go, which is why I started the quest in the first place. You have to be your own man or woman or whatever. You have to go your way. The facts you glean from your port are the important facts. What other people think matters little.
That is why I won't allow comments on my port nor do I ever want an image critiqued. Those things are highly subjective. Even focus and exposure are not absolute.
Besides, a person should know if he is posting shit or shinola.
Similars are highly personal as well. If Shutterstock likes the submissions then that's that. Nobody has a right to comment on them. If they don't like Shutterstock policy they should move along and be happy.

Yup. The only contention I have ever made was there is more than one way to do this. Every argument I am in is a result of pointing out people who trash other ways to succeed in virtually every post.

After the completely over the top PM I received when calling someone on their own words (see the "about me" section in my profile for a copy of it) I decided no more sitting in the sidelines biting my tongue. If I was really mean I'd post my meme's in the relevant threads, so they should be thankful I am nice enough to keep them all together. :)

Joe, you are a shining example of how a positive work ethic and no nonsense approach will make you successful. And I agree, I don't get the mindset of putting down Shutterstock or their reviewers all the time. Talk about biting the hand...

1 minute ago, Grossinger said:

Yep, you are so right. There is a time delay in stock photography. I'm beginning to see that as my earnings now are growing at a faster rate.
It takes time to become known, time for your images to filter through the computers, time for you images to be found.
You know this because you have a huge portfolio and have been with shutterstock for some time. Your port was what inspired me to go for the 10,000.
I'm still on track but @Reimar is really blazing an impossible trail to follow. Great photography and 11,000+ images in five months. That is a master!

Agree.

There are people that have quality... there are others like me... quantity but then you have Reimar that has both.

35 minutes ago, 1000 Words Images said:

Agree.

There are people that have quality... there are others like me... quantity but then you have Reimar that has both.

Aw shucks you guys, stop it.  Now I'm blushing.

I know my limits.  I'm not that creative, but I love the craft of photography.

I'm off to England for two weeks tomorrow, so I may be incommunicado.