Sign in to follow this  
Heide Pinkall

Shutterstock rejected its own model release... can you find the mistake?

Hi...

I just got a rejection for "missing or illegible model release" - I have filled in the original form from Shutterstock, downloaded yesterday...

Can anyone see a problem/mistake)

(for keeping privacy I've blacked out the names and adresses of course)

IMG_20180612_0001-2-cleaned.jpg

The parent’s or guardians name should be on the top not the child, maybe followed by child’s name (mother of ...). And I don’t know about the baby signing at the right side ..? This option is not in the english version. Also you should elaborate a little on description of the scene?

Yes

The dates of signature dont match the witness signature date

All dates need to be same date because the witness is stating they saw the person / people sign.

I have done a weekend shoot and made the mistake when on Monday my witness put the monday date but others used weekend.

I see no mistake.

I've filled out minor releases just like this and not had an issue. Shoot date can be different than signature date. Onky signature date and witness date have to match, which they do.

Maybe whoever reviewed this is being stupid and faulting you for the witness signature not being inside the correct line?

image.thumb.png.c961442b5986761d34f99f62d3b8b2e4.png

Hey...
I am really upset 😞

I controlled everything on the release + added the English writing for the date of signature behind the German version
+ added a reference photo

... witness + model + her mother signed the same day

... yes, the photos are 10 years old, that's why the former baby was able to write...
but I asked her NOW (yesterday) and as she is old enough, she signed herself together with her mother

the witness is a different person who does not belong to the family neither my nor the model's

the form that I filled in is NEW - I downloaded it from Shutterstock just the moment before signing.

So Shutterstock, WHAT IS WRONG?????????????? 😞

... I have a different minor realease that got accepted, where the signature of the witness is not on the correct line, too... 😞
And those photos were about 8 years old, too... 😞

9 hours ago, PhilipR said:

All dates need to be same date because the witness is stating they saw the person / people sign.

Not all dates. It can be an older photo. Just model and witness have to be the same.

1 hour ago, Heide Pinkall said:

yes, the photos are 10 years old, that's why the former baby was able to write...

Yes, sorry Heide, I was not thinking. I should have written ‘child’. But I still think children cant’t approve and sign before they are 18 ...

in the German form there are two lines for signing: one for the model and one for a parent just under it.
About two months ago I had a 13 year old boy who filled out the form just like this.
He signed as model and below him his mother signed, too.

Heidi,

It might just be as simple as the stated reason for rejection (legibility).  The text that is is visible is a little difficult to decipher in places (numbers particularly), so perhaps a resubmit in printed writing?  And there's a correction on one of the dates.  I know it looks pretty obvious what is meant, but they don't like that.

Good luck.

2 hours ago, FrontlitPhotography said:

It might just be as simple as the stated reason for rejection (legibility). 

I think the same thing, it looks very messy. I always fill them out on the computer before printing out.

You have to remember, a release is a legal document, so it must be correct in every detail. The dates must be correct, the signatures must be in the correct places, etc. It isn't just Shutterstock being overly picky.

If it were just a note on file so Shutterstock will know you have permission from the model/parent/property owner it would be different, but where it is a legal document I can see why they are very careful about the details.

Thank you to everybody who tried to help me in this case 🙂

Well... I just got an answear from a Shutterstock official:

" Hi Heide,

Thank you for contacting Shutterstock Contributor Care.

Please note that information on the release was altered,and visibly edited. And also note that the model name and signature of Parent/Guardian name seems to be same. 

Kindly make the necessary changes and resubmit them. 

For more information please go through the below helpful article from our support center.
Why was my image rejected for Model Release? <https://www.shutterstock.com/contributorsupport/articles/en_US/kbat02/Why-was-my-image-rejected-for-Model-Release?q=model+release&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1>

If you need any further assistance please contact us.
(name of sender)"

OK...

The only thing that was "altered and visibly edited" was the "M" of "May...
The names and signatures of model and parent are really different... And you can see that clearly.  Saying the name/signature of model and parent "seems to be the same" is simply an imputation...

Now... I will fill in this form again with computer...

And I will take a photo of both persons while signing...

I am very, very, very frustrated...

I filled in a new model release with the computer. Everything is clear to read.

Why the heck is this rejected??????

image.thumb.png.d54ad62a0a91416918ff97ed475260e9.png

image.thumb.png.965abb3b8f8e07b7a85f0ccc09769197.png

I've had rather constant problems with SS over the years with model releases being rejected for no good reason.  I'm using their release form, all fields filled out, correctly and properly and it will be rejected for a similar reason.  I finally quit giving any of my model released work to SS at all.  Partly because of the rejections, and more so because I think I should see more than a quarter a download for shoots involving models which usually also involve considerable planning etc.  

Finally I got an answear from Shutterstock today:

They apologize for rejecting this model release in error...

Ok, everybody can make mistakes - reviewers, too.