Aleksandar Djordjevic

How to submit photos of unknown statues, editorial or not?

I've recently been on a trip to Skopje and in center of the city they have hundred statues, fountains, landmarks, memorial buildings, and while for some of them i understand, some are maybe even forbidden to submit so ill avoid submitting those that are direct landmarks to place, some of them are just known places so based on previous experience those are going in editorial.

But they also have a lot of statues that are just statues, they are unknown people, there's no history tied up to them, there are also animals like tigers and lions. Some of them are just isolated statues, some of them are grouped statues with multiple people and/or animals, some of them are on the bridge, so i have wide shot of bridge with statues, some are making fountain. Some of them i just shoot partially like only shield of a warrior closeup, or spear, or helmet.

So how do you submit these kind of photos, are they editorial or not, or are they even forbidden to submit?

I didn't edit photos yet but i basically took screenshots of raw just to show examples, Here's a photo of one guy warrior i have closeup and he is basically statue with bunch of others on a bridge.

And another example would be A lion on fountain, also close shot of lion which i would like to submit and here's whole fountain where lion is.

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

They were created by someone - therefore they are works of art. I doubt it would be possible to have them accepted as commercial but you could always try. 

20 minutes ago, Rey Borlaza said:

Can we leave to shutterstock alone to determine whether the content is editorial or commercial? 

We can try to post it as commercial as said above and if got rejected than we can try as editorial, but shutterstock will never give decision if your photo is commercial or not. Few times happened to me that i forget to check editorial and although i give editorial description with date place item, they just reject photo and say it have visible brand products. What i am confused in this case if i submit this as editorial what do i write. I have other photo with statue of Alexander veliki so i would write. Place time date statue of Alexander veliki... What do i write here? Place time date, statue of tiger taking bath in fountain...?

Personally I would submit as commercial and see if they get through - if they don't due to property release requirements submit as editorial.  I would have thought the bridge one at least would be ok for commercial.

But don't submit the top one, the head is out of focus. 

I would submit them as editorial. Stop and think for a moment: what's more likely - that someone will use that fountain to advertise something, or that someone might use it in an article on that city?

Editorial does not mean it won't sell. Most of my selling images are editorial.