Sharad Raval

What is wrong ? Rejection with unaccepted editorial caption

Keeping eye on all these 'who, what, where, when' tried to write in my caption these days many of my images are rejected. It is obvious that state and town and names will be in Indian language, can't find alternative to it. Caption was:

KUMBHALGARH, INDIA - NOVEMBER 21, 2016: Rajasthani unidentified two women at Kumbhalgah fort palace. A World Heritage Site in Rajasthan, Built during the course of the 15th century by Rana Kumbha.

Can some one guide me to rewrite it, Please...

Thanks.

Capture.JPG

I came back last year with some really good original shots of CUBA. I gave up and gave them to all the other sites who are actually helpful and all on the same page. to bad 70 Good strong Images. Even the admin advice was wrong. simply amazing . lots of folks at SS not talking to other folks. All Scared??

11 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

There's also an issue with syntax - the order of the words. I'm assuming 'Rajasthani' is being used as an adjective here? The wording "Rajasthani unidentified two women" is not grammatically correct. I would reword it as: "Two unidentified Rajasthani women...."

Why include the word "unidentified"? It is unnecessary especially if it is being submitted as an editorial w/o release. 

8 minutes ago, Michael Warwick said:

Why include the word "unidentified"? It is unnecessary especially if it is being submitted as an editorial w/o release. 

This is SS requirement, at least it was. I skip it each time I can but in this case there are not many other words to describe these images.

5 minutes ago, Michael Warwick said:

I have never used "unidentified" and images with people have never been rejected as an editorial. 

I believe you. You asked why and I answered. How come that you haven't seen this in support file examples?

• Human interest photos – if the name of the subject is not available, simply write “unidentified” in your caption. For example, “An unidentified woman sells vegetables…”

https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/creating-the-perfect-editorial-caption?utm_content=editorialimagestips&utm_medium=editorialimagestips&utm_campaign=blog&utm_source=CONTENT

Many things on this page have changed but they didn't update the requirements and they drive us crazy with it.

Maybe but as D. Pimborough said there is no palace in the image

On 4/21/2018 at 6:56 PM, D. Pimborough said:

These ladies could be anywhere in India.

Also, they are doing nothing except posing for the camera. However the idea with the colorful dress is good.

Maybe: "Two Indian women from Rajasthan wear colorful cultural clothing."

Were you able to resolve this problem? I ran into this issue today. I tried resubmitting the image three times with variation of the original caption, got rejected. I really do not know how to better describe the scene. Anybody help?

Kuala Gandah, Malaysia - April 8, 2018 : People bath baby elephants in the Sungai Teris river located in Krau Wildlife Reserve.

DSC_5056-small.jpg.14a918b9892030b4ae82cc997296172e.jpg

Clipboard02.thumb.jpg.9593fb9830d71742f2d8299a604516d1.jpg

55 minutes ago, Patrick Cooper said:

I didn't come up with the word "unidentified." Sharad did. I was pointing out the correct word order (syntax.)

Oh, I understood that and it was meant for Sharad as well since he was asking for assistance...I was just saying that it does not seem necessary.

Today I've had 10 or so editorial images rejected at least three times in a row. Reducing the caption / description down to the minimum (with what I think is technically correct formatting) has no effect. Can someone tell me what's amiss in the examples below?

image.png.6bfb9b832ed6f4008421659e58bc1677.png

image.png.7d59feda1d0b70561a995aaf2704873b.png

image.png.6529222503b5c208fd3fd2cff0bf38e2.png

image.png.eb4b6d625a9f7ee0c2d64cdfaa45e9ab.png

On 24/04/2018 at 10:45 PM, Nick Fox said:

Were you able to resolve this problem? I ran into this issue today. I tried resubmitting the image three times with variation of the original caption, got rejected. I really do not know how to better describe the scene. Anybody help?

Kuala Gandah, Malaysia - April 8, 2018 : People bath baby elephants in the Sungai Teris river located in Krau Wildlife Reserve.

DSC_5056-small.jpg.14a918b9892030b4ae82cc997296172e.jpg

Clipboard02.thumb.jpg.9593fb9830d71742f2d8299a604516d1.jpg

Try removing the comma from the date. It might be seen as a "special character" as the guideline examples do not include a comma there.  I forget how I would normally punctuate a date phrase and just follow Shutterstock pattern and it's usually OK.

Oh, sorry about the size.

I formatted the screen capture in MS Word...apparently it didn't transition well.

I included a comma in the date section to separate the day from the year.

I shall try again without the comma.

Strange how I'm getting all these issues now when I encountered no such hang-ups two weeks ago.

Thanks for your help.

4 minutes ago, Matthew Horgan said:

I formatted the screen capture in MS Word...apparently it didn't transition well.

Strange how I'm getting all these issues now when I encountered no such hang-ups two weeks ago.

Thanks for your help.

Editorial caption rejections usually come back really quickly so it seems to me it's at least partly an automated process.

7 minutes ago, Matthew Horgan said:

Thanks for your help.

Also, don't put a space before the colon.

10 hours ago, TomCarpenter said:

Editorial caption rejections usually come back really quickly so it seems to me it's at least partly an automated process.

if this is a partially automatic process, then it makes sense to add "editorial" to the keywords, personally I always do so))

11 hours ago, Matthew Horgan said:

My Anzac Day photos are still being rejected with all the updates (no commas in the dates, no extra spaces, additional editorial keywords). So what's left?

5ae503374b7bc_ScreenShot2018-04-29at9_24_48AM.thumb.png.146ab8896c79ab3602c99f5b8da1e33c.png 

My other rejections have been because the reviewers believe any written words in the caption or keywords are brand names or intellectual property even though they are not. So ANZAC may be triggering them. Hard to get your photo found without it though.

The only other area I see is the "who, what, where, when" requirement. e.g. Visitors have placed poppies on the memorial at the dawn service on national Australian and New Zealand Remembrance Day. They are also touchy about "public artworks" but that would have had an intellectual property rejection.

I've never understood....SS wants everything they can get, So why are they SOOOOO picky about this, all other sites you just click editorial. why only SS makes us jump through all these Hoops.?

Quick update: I put ANZAC in the descriptions of the troublesome photos, and used the phrase Editorial Use Only in the keywords, and they all passed inspection.

Lucky role of the dice perhaps.

Thank you all for your assistance B)

Thanks to all for your advice and help. I corrected the mistake and my images are approved now. Changed my early opening of: KUMBHALGARH, INDIA - NOV. 21 2016 with KUMBHALGARH, INDIA - NOVEMBER 21 2016: made it correct as Shutterstock ask for editorial caption in opening line.

Thanks again.

- Sharad Raval