Svineyard

Objectional Content rejection for cute baby monkey

I am totally confused. I have submitted this image twice. I was sure I had a drunk reveiwer the first time, but I got the same result the second time. I really do want to submit this photo, although not everyone will think it's a good one. It's not really large (cell phone photo), so I can't crop it as much as I'd like, but it's crystal clear and the model is really cute!  I also didn't find a lot like it on Shutterstock. It's meaningful because the little guy is being treated like a baby with his soft blankie.

The rejection reason both times was Rejection reasons (1)
Objectionable Content: Image and/or metadata contains potentially objectionable content.

The desciption is Adorable baby white-faced capuchin monkey in a blanket being held by woman with glitter fingerpolish in front of a bokeh outdoor background

Here are my keywords: monkey, baby, cute, face, nature, hair, animal, wildlife, portrait, pet, pretty, owner, love, mammal, natural, outdoor, young, summer, small, comforting, primate, security, blankie, blanket, comical, maternal, adorable, domestic, breed, beautiful, little, furry, funny, creature, baby monkey, closeup, expression, monkeys, nurturing, species, hands, hold, baby white-faced capuchin, capuchin, fun, lifestyle, exotic, close up, sweet, carry;

Hum, maybe "breed" or "love"? Do you guys see anything else before I try #3?

FYI: Dreamstime just accepted this little guy.

FYI 2: I submitted a small photo. The orignal shows every hair and the monkey is totally in focus.

rejected monkey.JPG

Maybe you're not supposed to have this kind of monkey as a pet? Something about protecting wild species?

Just a wild guess.

I wondered if the reviewer had that personal objection.... They are legal where I live, but maybe not where the reviewer lives. If that's the only objection we can come up with, I may contact support. I mean, someone COULD use this image in an article about why NOT TO KEEP PET MONKEYS.

By the way, this is NOT my monkey.

The keywords baby, breed, love, and related words were probably detected and rejected by a bot. Although a baby monkey is technically called an infant, you will probably face the same problem with the word infant.

Keep in mind, SS has a problem with zoo animals and might require a property release

So, you can resubmit with a release or resubmit as editorial. I think resubmits are more reviewed manually by a real person (not sure)

If you go the commercial route, do something with those fingernails, they are distracting.

If you go the editorial route, you have to leave them for what they are.

Yes, very sweet - but unfortunately...

see this: https://www.shutterstock.com/contributorsupport/articles/kbat02/Known-Image-Restrictions-Objects-and-Subjects

"Primates

• This policy applies to the great ape and monkey groups only
  • Primates in unnatural settings or scenarios, such as a photography studio or office
  • Anthropomorphism or personification, such as wearing human clothing or riding a bicycle
  • Unacceptable for commercial use (photo and video)
  • Acceptable for commercial use (illustrations, vectors, and animations)
  • Acceptable for editorial use with a proper caption"

1 hour ago, Heide Pinkall said:

Yes, very sweet - but unfortunately...

see this: https://www.shutterstock.com/contributorsupport/articles/kbat02/Known-Image-Restrictions-Objects-and-Subjects

"Primates

• This policy applies to the great ape and monkey groups only
  • Primates in unnatural settings or scenarios, such as a photography studio or office
  • Anthropomorphism or personification, such as wearing human clothing or riding a bicycle
  • Unacceptable for commercial use (photo and video)
  • Acceptable for commercial use (illustrations, vectors, and animations)
  • Acceptable for editorial use with a proper caption"

This seems really over the top to me. The world has lost its mind. Like @Svineyard said, someone might need to illustrate how NOT to keep monkeys, or maybe an article about rescuing them.

How is the background "bokeh." Looks like some blurry green trees to me? I think the monkey is absolutely adorable! I was really surprised when I scrolled down to it. I'd say it's definitely a controversial image. Not everyone believes we evolved from monkeys. I wish though, that you could make the hand a bit smaller ( not shrink it ), but just so there is less in view. And that building to the right is completely distracting. The green works really well - so maybe just do the whole background in green trees? - But it is your photo - as you please. 

It was a photo taken way before I was shooting stock, but I saw a request on one of my agencies today for people with unusual pets and thought of this photo taken years ago, so I dug it out. It's a cell phone photo and not large enough to cut out the hand, unfortunately  It sounds like I might be able to upload it as editorial. I might try that before giving up. Other agencies have already accepted it. I guess if people want to write about not keeping monkeys as pets, they'll have to buy it there.  But I wish they had a way of letting us know about these policies and why they are rejecting our pictures so we'll know not to do that again. I absolutely didn't have a clue and didn't even think of a pet monkey not being accepted simply because it was a monkey.

Ah, yes - I have photos from way back when too. And I also know how tricky it is working with phone photos - you can barely touch it during post production.  - The monkey is adorable and will definitely get you some attention !

11 hours ago, Svineyard said:

I am totally confused. I have submitted this image twice. I was sure I had a drunk reveiwer the first time, but I got the same result the second time. I really do want to submit this photo, although not everyone will think it's a good one. It's not really large (cell phone photo), so I can't crop it as much as I'd like, but it's crystal clear and the model is really cute!  I also didn't find a lot like it on Shutterstock. It's meaningful because the little guy is being treated like a baby with his soft blankie.

The rejection reason both times was Rejection reasons (1)
Objectionable Content: Image and/or metadata contains potentially objectionable content.

The desciption is Adorable baby white-faced capuchin monkey in a blanket being held by woman with glitter fingerpolish in front of a bokeh outdoor background

Here are my keywords: monkey, baby, cute, face, nature, hair, animal, wildlife, portrait, pet, pretty, owner, love, mammal, natural, outdoor, young, summer, small, comforting, primate, security, blankie, blanket, comical, maternal, adorable, domestic, breed, beautiful, little, furry, funny, creature, baby monkey, closeup, expression, monkeys, nurturing, species, hands, hold, baby white-faced capuchin, capuchin, fun, lifestyle, exotic, close up, sweet, carry;

Hum, maybe "breed" or "love"? Do you guys see anything else before I try #3?

FYI: Dreamstime just accepted this little guy.

FYI 2: I submitted a small photo. The orignal shows every hair and the monkey is totally in focus.

rejected monkey.JPG

This might be of interest.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/9910672751/shutterstock-bans-unnatural-monkey-and-ape-photos-at-peta-s-request

IS recently sent an email saying only accepting animals in natural environment.

Personally I'm all for this - it *could* (with luck) potentially help illegally captive animals from being money machines - wishful thinking maybe, but every little helps!