Simone Hogan

Amazing return on investment

Sold the first of my latest batch of downtown photos. $0.25 - whoo-hoo! Too bad the parking cost me 8 bucks. So, let's see... all I need is 31 more downloads and I will break even! And now I read people are getting as low as $1.30 for video clips. Definitely getting the feeling I came too late to this whole stock footage party.

Well your port does not really show anything related to stock photography. A few good images, but you need to shoot for stock, which means high quality, good composition, good lighting, images with good cv. You have some good images of people but a lot that look like snapshots and poor composition. I am no expert but the people buying the images are. So you need to provide something they will want and use. Which involves research.

41 minutes ago, Rhonda Roth said:

That's why I always try to find free parking :)

Stupid place used to be free after validation. Hadn't been there in a while - they changed the rules. But my point was, in general, it just doesn't seem worth the effort anymore.

33 minutes ago, Rudy Umans said:

I looked that up, just for the fun of it. I'd have to take the Breeze bus to the Sprinter to the MTS. It would cost $12.- and take almost three hours. Yeah. Not really a viable option around here.

2 minutes ago, Simone Hogan said:

I looked that up, just for the fun of it. I'd have to take the Breeze bus to the Sprinter to the MTS. It would cost $12.- and take almost three hours. Yeah. Not really a viable option around here.

Same where I live (Miami FL) practically non-existent 

2 hours ago, martin bowra said:

So you need to provide something they will want and use. Which involves research.

That's actually precisely the reason I went back down there - because my Limebike in front of the SD Marina sold as ODD a day after upload. Different buyers want different things. And I might actually have the tiniest clue about that, having personally spent $6,000 on Shutterstock :-)

24 minutes ago, Sari ONeal said:

I started almost eight years ago, and I was late to the party, so there's that....

At least parking is free in my yard :P

Haha Sari!  I always tell people to read the forum threads and ask themselves in how many industries would you find people celebrating, going "Woo hoo! I made $500 last month!"  Ha.

5 minutes ago, alison1414 said:

Haha Sari!  I always tell people to read the forum threads and ask themselves in how many industries would you find people celebrating, going "Woo hoo! I made $500 last month!"  Ha.

They go Woo Hoo I made $1.50

(I actually always thought a Woo Hoo was something else)

Just now, Rudy Umans said:

They go Woo Hoo I made $1.50

(I actually always thought a Woo Hoo was something else)

Haha! You're right. I was living in 2006 for a minute there.

9 hours ago, Simone Hogan said:

And now I read people are getting as low as $1.30 for video clips.

I've only been here for four months, but have never sold anything for under US$12.00.  Usual commission is at least twice that.  For me, editorial has sold best.

You know, it can always be worse.  Certain agency that publishes contributor earnings once a month (as opposed to real-time on Shutterstock)  today had a couple of real gems in my statement:

5ad97b6e6b40e_ScreenShot2018-04-19at11_28_15PM.png.b339d24dca190f9bdafe8bd9c39eff37.png5ad97b681c94f_ScreenShot2018-04-19at11_28_03PM.png.43c0ac9cd64a98d6ae021c26677d160c.png5ad97b726686f_ScreenShot2018-04-19at11_28_28PM.png.55e345486a48224784befa4204c0575d.png

I don't care who says what, this is downright disrespectful.  So, parking or no parking, 25 cents looks like a pot of gold compared to this ;=)

9 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

I started almost eight years ago, and I was late to the party, so there's that....

At least parking is free in my yard :P

good to hear :)

You know, it can always be worse.  Certain agency that publishes contributor earnings once a month (as opposed to real-time on Shutterstock)  today had a couple of real gems in my statement:

Their sales report is like something we'd receive back in 1999. 

17 hours ago, Simone Hogan said:

Sold the first of my latest batch of downtown photos. $0.25 - whoo-hoo! Too bad the parking cost me 8 bucks. So, let's see... all I need is 31 more downloads and I will break even! And now I read people are getting as low as $1.30 for video clips. Definitely getting the feeling I came too late to this whole stock footage party.

Going downtown should be a life adventure and not a chore. Taking photo's is just a bi-product of the trip and not the reason for...

I have a photo of a city that has only sold 20 times since uploading it 18 months ago but it has made over $170 from those 20 DL's, so you never know what could happen. One day when you hit one of those large SOD's then you will say the cost of parking was worth it.

1 hour ago, cpaulfell said:

Going downtown should be a life adventure and not a chore. Taking photo's is just a bi-product of the trip and not the reason for...

I have a photo of a city that has only sold 20 times since uploading it 18 months ago but it has made over $170 from those 20 DL's, so you never know what could happen. One day when you hit one of those large SOD's then you will say the cost of parking was worth it.

wow..congrats...$170 from 20 downloads...Quite amazing.. please share that image with us too..

5 hours ago, Prashanv said:

wow..congrats...$170 from 20 downloads...Quite amazing.. please share that image with us too..

Yes, @cpaulfell please share your "Crackerjack Expert" success story with all of us, so we all get inspired to come up with better versions, like many did when @Mirco Vacca shared his best selling photo :P!

Lool! :lol: