reason I stopped doing footage 2 Years ago. an Insult. did great for awhile. even paid for all the gear. and Luckily sold it all to some guy In India. still Have a Great 40 in aluminum slider and a 7 IN Marshall Monitor/2 Batteries. used twice. sell cheap.Rather let someone use something than seeing it in a drawer doing Nothing. In studio I use a 42 In Monitor so Model can see.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a recent communication from Wix support and my reply.  I'm going to be actively looking for Wix pages that incorporate Shuttestock content, just so I can point out ways they are failing to prop

Another video sold for $1.50.  From Ashburn, United States .  So I deleted about a  dozen similar animations / Regular sellers from my SS account . Also did the online survey that pops up and put be

Good to  keep answers to problems really simple. After deleting ALL my similar videos that were selling Regularly  for $1.50 here...am now seeing those SAME animations sell for  $20-40 elsewhere

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2018 at 1:32 AM, Ulrich Willmunder said:

The point was, it doesn't matter how often you ask for an opt out option. It's not going to happen.

And I don't care how small the resolution is. The production costs are the same.

So true.... It doesn't matter how many times you ask to Opt out. Shuterstock don't care about Contributors. If you tell them you will take your content down they don't care.... someone else will come along. Just wondering what Shutterstock will do if 50% of Contributors will take down their Content because they can't Opt out of $1.50 for video clip.

On 2/5/2019 at 2:18 PM, Laurin Rinder said:

reason I stopped doing footage 2 Years ago.

I respectfully suggest that was a mistake on your part.

I've never seen a $1.50 clip sale and I only see maybe five or six $2.00 sales per month.  Does it suck?  Yes.  Would I prefer to opt out of those sale entirely? Yes.  But you just have to take the crap with the good and know that it all evens out in the end.  I'm at 49 downloads so far this month with $1554.18 in earnings $86.33 per day).  That's an average of $31.71 per download.   Can anyone beat that average with photos?  I think not.   Footage is the only way to make a decent income in stock.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

Well, it all averages out.  You shouldn't bitch about the cheap sales if you're still getting a few big ones.

Your average sale is $40!!  I'd love to hit that number. You should be jumping for joy instead of complaining.

I disagree.  I wish I could opt out of these $1.50 WIX downloads.  I'd rather someone not get my hard earned footage than have $1.50

Oh I've said the same thing about the $2.00 downloads (never had a $1.50).   I would rather not have any sale at all than to have one that does not pay me at least $10. But you can't opt out and never will. So ignore it and focus on the positive.   I try to shoot better clips, process them better in post, and create more effective metadata so I can get more of the high end buyers who have decent money to spend.  It's not just random when a clips brings in a large price.

2 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

Oh I've said the same thing about the $2.00 downloads (never had a $1.50).   I would rather not have any sale at all than to have one that does not pay me at least $10. But you can't opt out and never will. So ignore it and focus on the positive.   I try to shoot better clips, process them better in post, and create more effective metadata so I can get more of the high end buyers who have decent money to spend.  It's not just random when a clips brings in a large price.

I don't think the community ignoring it and moving along is the right idea.  That's what Shutterstock hopes we do when they bend us over like this.  Speaking up and voicing my opinion and keeping this thread on the radar of both Shutterstock and the community is about all I can do, so that's what I'm going to do.  

Okay, if you think this thread is going to make any difference at least that is a good reason.  I would suggest you address your comments directly to the personnel at Shutterstock who might actually have the power to make changes. Those people are not reading this forum.  I'm not going to talk about Adobe here, but I've got them to make changes to something that was an issue on their platform.  I've also influenced some large companies who make television/video equipment to make product changes, and entirely new products. So it is possible to get changes, but in my experience, you're not gonna do it by posting on a forum.   And as much as I dislike the lower sales, it's not worth my time to lobby for changes.

10 minutes ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

This is not correct! And I don't know how you dare to proclaim that. It's not true in general.

Oh man, you guys really take this stuff personally, don't you.  Wow, you'd think I just called your mother ugly or something.  Get a grip, dude.  Don't feel so threatened by the meaningless rants of a moron like me.  Did I call you out personally?

If you want to split hairs, let me be a little more specific.  There is no money in stock photos for 99% of the people who decide to get into it.  Shutterstocks's own statistics (as quoted on another thread) make it clear.  That is how I dare to proclaim that.  Are a few people making money in photos?  Sure, because I know a few right here.  But most people are not going to make enough to even buy a new memory card.  How can anyone make money when the average download pays less than a buck? Is your time worthless?  Even $500 is nothing if it took you a hundred hours to process and upload the photos.  That's how I can dare proclaim that.  I'm sorry if you find my opinion so offensive.  Get over it.

25 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

How can anyone make money when the average download pays less than a buck? 

Because photos sell in much higher volume than videos.

7 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

Show me the money.  Please divide your lifetime earnings by the number of photos in your portfolio.  What has your average photo earned so far?  Feel free to send me a screen grab privately if you'd like.  Is it possible to subtract your earnings that came from video, because that might skew the number?

I'm not saying that photos earn more, or even the same, as video clips on average. All I was saying is that there is money to be had in photos as well. And personally, I find them more fun to shoot, and easier to process.

10 hours ago, Doug Jensen said:

Oh man, you guys really take this stuff personally, don't you.  Wow, you'd think I just called your mother ugly or something.  Get a grip, dude.  Don't feel so threatened by the meaningless rants of a moron like me.  Did I call you out personally?

If you want to split hairs, let me be a little more specific.  There is no money in stock photos for 99% of the people who decide to get into it.  Shutterstocks's own statistics (as quoted on another thread) make it clear.  That is how I dare to proclaim that.  Are a few people making money in photos?  Sure, because I know a few right here.  But most people are not going to make enough to even buy a new memory card.  How can anyone make money when the average download pays less than a buck? Is your time worthless?  Even $500 is nothing if it took you a hundred hours to process and upload the photos.  That's how I can dare proclaim that.  I'm sorry if you find my opinion so offensive.  Get over it.

No, Doug,

I didn't find your words offensive at all. I don't feel threatened as well. And I don't take it personally. No problem for me!

I just wanted to point out, that there shouldn't be a generalized statement like that. Sure: There are many contributors who only make little money by contributing stills. But this thread shows that the production of clips doesn't necessarily lead to prosperity. You are on a very good way - no question. Maybe this depends more on your way to produce with only little effort. Not everyone is able to do so, I guess.

Regards,

Wilm

• 10 months later...

All I can say is, wow.  In the past three days, I've "enjoyed" seven downloads with a $1.50 royalty each.  I happen to have a Wix.com account, so I put the process to the test (just as another user had done many months ago).  I was able to download one of my own videos through the Wix/Shutterstock portal for $15.99.  The royalty payout was $3.15, which means I earned a fraction less than 20%.  My earnings for downloads directly from the SS site are roughly 30%.  This begs the question - who is getting the other 10% for the Wix downloads? Wix, for having free access to my content? Shutterstock, for giving away my content for an insult?  What's worse... as already proven by an earlier post, footage is still able to be downloaded from the Wix content manager (albeit at a slightly lesser resolution - in my case an HD video could be downloaded at a resolution of 854x480).  Additionally, if you right-click on the video preview and copy the link address, the video can be shared freely across the Internet with the copied URL.  So, Wix is facilitating the free distribution of our copyrighted intellectual property (sounds like a class action suit to me).  Even more, has anyone read the Terms of Use page on the Wix website?  Maybe it's my interpretation, but it seems to me that Wix is saying that their customers own ALL content added to their websites, including content added by their services (i.e. video content downloaded from Shutterstock).  Read for yourself - start with #5 under section 2.1: https://www.wix.com/about/terms-of-use  

So, to summarize, the Wix deal creates the following situation:

1)  Contributing artists are paid less than the agreed-upon royalty rate from Shutterstock

2)  Wix is creating an avenue of free distribution of copyrighted material that they do not own

3)  Wix is misleading their customers through their Terms of Use statement by telling them they have the right to do anything they want with someone else's (i.e. our) intellectual property.

It really sounds like legal action needs to be investigated in this matter.  None of us can afford to create content for it to be simply given away and distributed for free.

At the very least, I want my 30%.

Edited to add:  I was mistaken about the available resolution to download from the Wix content manager. The full resolution version is available by simply editing the URL.  This is completely illegal.

Edited by Justin Horrocks
added additional pertinent information

Thanks for running that test, Justin. So angering to know that the footage can still be easily downloaded, and of course the low payout to us is an insult either at 20% or 30%. I've contacted SS multiple ways to complain about this rip-off via Wix and press them to allow us to opt out. An opt-out is the very least they should do.

One correction, re: Wix's terms of service. Wix is not telling customers they have the right to the footage, they're making people "warrant" (guarantee) that they indeed do have the right to post the things they've posted on their website. So basically Wix is saying, "Promise that everything you put on your website you actually have the right to post." Videos sold by SS would be a covered use. The exploitative part, however, is that we can't opt out of this terrible deal. I actually would be interested to know if a class-action lawsuit is possible either for the lack of opt-out terms or for Wix failing to secure the content.

Thank you, Kevin.  I was so blinded by anger while reading the Wix ToS that I wasn't properly processing the words.  Yes, we really need an Opt Out option.  Since the 20th, I have had a string of $1.50 royalties on what used to be some of my best sellers. It's infuriating to know that we're getting paid peanuts while people out there are getting full access to our content and easily able to share/distribute it to whomever they please.  I'm afraid a class action suit would likely be impossible (or a huge challenge to say the least), as Wix is actually an Israeli company.  Shutterstock knows this and is apparently in "we're too big to care" mode.  I opened a Copyright Infringement case with Wix, using an open link to one of my full-res videos as the offending URL, so I'd be interested to see if/how they respond to that.

Come on, Shutterstock.  Please take the high road on this.

Capture.JPG