Duncan Andison

$1.50 Video Sale?!?!?!?!

THOSE $1.50 SALES ARE ONLY GOING TO INCREASE AS MORE AND MORE CONSUMERS REALISE WHAT AN OPPORTUNITY THIS IS!

ON THE POSITIVE SIDE THOU ,AS MORE AND MORE BUYERS DISCOVER THIS SITE THE BETTER THE CHANCES OF SELLING MORE CONTENTS  AT HIGHER PRICES.

I SELL QUITE A FEW $1.50 CLIPS PER MONTH AND THAT DOES NOT MAKE ME TOO HAPPY,  BUT OVERHAUL  MY AVERAGE EARNINGS PER MONTH HAS MAYBE DROPPED 20%..SO I WILL REMAIN LOYAL TO  SS... UP TO A POINT !

KEEP  SHOOTING AND UPLOADING  EVERYONE!. BE CREATIVE BECAUSE THIS IS WHAT S IT S ALL ABOUT..DOING SOMETHING WE LOVE TO DO..

THE GRASS WILL BE GREENER   THE SKY BLUER...ENJOY THOSE FIELD TRIPS MOMENTS  AND CAPTURE THEM SO THAT SOMEONE ELSE CAN ENJOY THEM!

CHEERS!

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:37 AM, andre baget said:

THOSE $1.50 SALES ARE ONLY GOING TO INCREASE AS MORE AND MORE CONSUMERS REALISE WHAT AN OPPORTUNITY THIS IS!

ON THE POSITIVE SIDE THOU ,AS MORE AND MORE BUYERS DISCOVER THIS SITE THE BETTER THE CHANCES OF SELLING MORE CONTENTS  AT HIGHER PRICES.

I SELL QUITE A FEW $1.50 CLIPS PER MONTH AND THAT DOES NOT MAKE ME TOO HAPPY,  BUT OVERHAUL  MY AVERAGE EARNINGS PER MONTH HAS MAYBE DROPPED 20%..SO I WILL REMAIN LOYAL TO  SS... UP TO A POINT !

KEEP  SHOOTING AND UPLOADING  EVERYONE!. BE CREATIVE BECAUSE THIS IS WHAT S IT S ALL ABOUT..DOING SOMETHING WE LOVE TO DO..

THE GRASS WILL BE GREENER   THE SKY BLUER...ENJOY THOSE FIELD TRIPS MOMENTS  AND CAPTURE THEM SO THAT SOMEONE ELSE CAN ENJOY THEM!

CHEERS!

This is such a dilemma. I agree with you Andre in many ways. I really want to support SS, but I don't know what the answer is. I turned off my video port here in mid-August.  For the first time ever, SS wasn't my top earning agency (for photo and video combined) in September due to a lot of large clip sales on 2 other video agencies - which is kind of sad. Deep down I want SS to win because they are a good agency.

My problem is actually not so much the $1.50s because they are supposed to be only for streamed apps, but all those $3 and $4 commissions. The question in my mind is, 'do buyers shop around?'. I have some unique stuff, so will they go to another agency and buy them there?( P5 is said to be the main agency where most footage buyers are registered. Do they look there first? And of course, AS has their own built-in market via their applications.) My September results showed that this may be possible, but of course difficult to prove. 

But I don't think the $1.50s and $3.15s are going to go away. Protesting seems futile. I really don't know what to do.

And then there is the emerging internet market for footage - are they a lower price point market anyway? And we have to accept that? But $1.50 or $3.15 just seems too cheap a price to pay. Do I turn my port back on for another test run? I really don't know. ?

Interested in what others think. 

I'll keep my video port up here for now, however all my new content is only available on P5 and AS/FT 

I was going to remove it completely but last month had some decent "fair" priced sales so held off the trigger. If sales here do tank though and the proliferation of budget price sales overtakes the fair and reasonable i'll be forced too. Content that's available elsewhere at higher prices will inevitably suffer. People will and do shop around, who can blame them? 

12 hours ago, Milleflore Images said:

This is such a dilemma. I agree with you Andre in many ways. I really want to support SS, but I don't know what the answer is. I turned off my video port here in mid-August.  For the first time ever, SS wasn't my top earning agency (for photo and video combined) in September due to a lot of large clip sales on 2 other video agencies - which is kind of sad. Deep down I want SS to win because they are a good agency.

My problem is actually not so much the $1.50s because they are supposed to be only for streamed apps, but all those $3 and $4 commissions. The question in my mind is, 'do buyers shop around?'. I have some unique stuff, so will they go to another agency and buy them there?( P5 is said to be the main agency where most footage buyers are registered. Do they look there first? And of course, AS has their own built-in market via their applications.) My September results showed that this may be possible, but of course difficult to prove. 

But I don't think the $1.50s and $3.15s are going to go away. Protesting seems futile. I really don't know what to do.

And then there is the emerging internet market for footage - are they a lower price point market anyway? And we have to accept that? But $1.50 or $3.15 just seems too cheap a price to pay. Do I turn my port back on for another test run? I really don't know. ?

Interested in what others think. 

My opinion is. Unfortunately, this is a modern trend and it seems to me that nothing has changed here. Moreover, our indignation on the forum. I remember how a couple of years on the backside of the GI forum, we were outraged by the exact same topic. After that, I stopped uploading clips to GI. It was a shame when huge corporations like Boeing or BBC bought your clip for $ 1. The sink industry is moving in this direction. And unfortunately, I am sure that other agencies will be forced to follow their path. Imagine that the buyer knows that on the SS you can buy such a clip not for $ 70, but for 5? he will not be difficult to make a choice. I did not turn off the portfolio, because I am sure it does not make sense. Worse only to myself.

Just imagine how different it would have felt had Shutterstock told us in advance about this new scheme for making low cost footage available to certain clients for streaming, and offered us the option to make some of our material available.

Instead this has been imposed upon us. They haven't even had the courtesy to respond to our concerns.

I had another $1.50 sale today and have therefore disabled my footage portfolio. Effectively that's goodbye to Shutterstock for me.

Just had a video sale for $1.80 for a 4k clip.  I find it really unacceptable that clips are going for so low a price.  I've been a contributor for almost 5 years and I've noticed over the past 2, as my port increases, sales decrease by 50-80%.  I'll be lucky to make more than $130 a month.  I've noticed that since they dropped the admissions standards from 7/10 photos to get in to 1/10 to get accepted, the sales have dropped way off and the standards have gone to sh!t.  Having just 1 file sell for that low is just a kick in the proverbial ass.  Sales this low won't increase clientele.  It'll just increase these sales of a $1.50 or $1.80 or $3.25.  To solve this problem, all contributors will have to remove their footage ports to resolve this issue.  I know this will never happen because some people will take multiple sales of $1.80 over one $50 or $120 sale.  It's just actually sad. 

Had two $1.50 sales today.  My precious travel 4k drone footage from all over the world being given away and I get a few quarters.  My blood is boiling, really thinking about cutting the cord here.  That same footage sells for appropriate prices elsewhere.  

A buck fifty.  Jesus, I'd rather just get nothing

2 hours ago, Josef Pittner said:

Just had a video sale for $1.80 for a 4k clip.  I find it really unacceptable that clips are going for so low a price.  I've been a contributor for almost 5 years and I've noticed over the past 2, as my port increases, sales decrease by 50-80%.  I'll be lucky to make more than $130 a month.  I've noticed that since they dropped the admissions standards from 7/10 photos to get in to 1/10 to get accepted, the sales have dropped way off and the standards have gone to sh!t.  Having just 1 file sell for that low is just a kick in the proverbial ass.  Sales this low won't increase clientele.  It'll just increase these sales of a $1.50 or $1.80 or $3.25.  To solve this problem, all contributors will have to remove their footage ports to resolve this issue.  I know this will never happen because some people will take multiple sales of $1.80 over one $50 or $120 sale.  It's just actually sad. 

It is a bit ironic as this is exactly what SS did to the traditional stock photo market years ago... 

Just got another $1.5 sale for one of my most prized clips.  Would really love some feedback from the Shutterstock team on giving us opt in and out of specific clips or outright for this WIX arrangement.  The devaluation of the content to such extent does nothing but force us to retrench.

Many of us made the decision not to place our portfolios with other agencies because of their low footage prices. Shutterstock has now forced us into that situation against our will.

If we are offered an opt-out, I will select some of my clips and make them available for this Wix streaming deal.

But until that happens, I've removed my footage from Shutterstock altogether.

4 hours ago, Working Title Productions said:

Recently I had a $1.50 sale and the next a $180.00 sale — enhanced license and the most I ever made for a clip.  I guess it all evens out.

Im not sure it does even out in the long term.

Long term trend im getting paid less per video then before.  Previously all sales in the $20-$30 region minimum with the odd huge one.

These days even if its not $1.50 its a lot of $13,$15 type sales.  Clearly they've changed their pricing structure and paying out less commission as a result.

36 minutes ago, StreetVJ said:

hello

I just had my footage download $111.94

does anyone know what type of license is this?

pic.png

The nice kind!

Sorry, don't know the actual answer. Maybe used for broadcast news?