Removing Watermarks from Image Search Results

I've been a longtime hunter on the sites like pixapay, and other "free" stock sites. I use them alot for drawing references when I am making compilations, or studying portraiture and figures. Especially when sites like SS need reference photos for artwork. I have to say I was impressed with Unsplash. The work is ++ compared, and the userability is definitely much better than others. But, it finds a lot of off the wall shit. I think it's just good advertisement for photographers. Someone finds your work, recognizes it, loves it and follows the trail to find more. Post a select few on those sites, and let it lead back here. Why has no one even brought up Pinterest? The most aweful of photosharing sites. I don't use it a lot myself, but I've found a lot of Google results to lead there. I guess I am not as hardcore as many, so I'm not really as bias either which way. My sales have increased here though. 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello Everyone, As of this morning, we are beginning to deploy a change that will be removing watermarks from thumbnails on the search results page. This change is meant to provide a better

What a dull move! I agree that 260px is enough to be used and watermark doesn't bother anyone. You would better care more about protecting images instead of making them easier to steal.

That's very odd idea in my opinion. It is not client oriented thing that will drive more sales, it just works against contributors

Posted Images

Ok, but (Shutterstock) Website doesn't work more good(faster) after remove watermark, a lot of bugs, and the page loads like two times (other sites work well), why did not other sites(stocks) remove the watermark, there workers are smarter, I don't think so. 

The legal department is resting?

Why you do not contact the hosting of websites that download pictures for free, WHY? wake up Shutterstock TEAM do something!

Because you lose money, too!

I found a new website (free download image with Advertising) : I do not want to advertise this site so I will write it in numbers (conversion number in alphabetical order): 

Website Link: |6|20|5|18| [dot] |3|12|21|2|  

Conversion TABLE (Alphabet)

A=1 | B=2 | C=3 | D=4 | E=5 | F =6 | G=7 | H=8 | I =9 | J = 10 | K = 11 | L = 12 | M = 13 | N = 14 | O = 15 | P = 16 |

Q = 17 | R = 18 | S = 19 | T = 20 | U = 21 | V = 22 | W = 23 | X = 24 | Y = 25 | Z = 26

DO SOMETHING!! Shutterstock TEAM

20 hours ago, Darlater said:

Ok, but (Shutterstock) Website doesn't work more good(faster) after remove watermark, a lot of bugs, and the page loads like two times (other sites work well), why did not other sites(stocks) remove the watermark, there workers are smarter, I don't think so. 

Why you do not contact the hosting of websites that download pictures for free, WHY? wake up Shutterstock TEAM do something!

I found a new website (free download image with Advertising) : I do not want to advertise this site so I will write it in numbers (conversion number in alphabetical order): 

A=1 | B=2 | C=3 | D=4 | E=5 | F =6 | G=7 | H=8 | I =9 | J = 10 | K = 11 | L = 12 | M = 13 | N = 14 | O = 15 | P = 16 |

Q = 17 | R = 18 | S = 19 | T = 20 | U = 21 | V = 22 | W = 23 | X = 24 | Y = 25 | Z = 26

I tried to download my photos and WTF it works...

On 6/1/2018 at 6:24 PM, Darlater said:

Legal department ? Well...that is a good one 

Man...they replaced human reviewers with bots in order to reduce their costs.

Last change in submiting vectors from 800 px max for a previev to a 4mp or larger went without announcement. It is clear that there is no one to deal with an important information for contributors. Or contributors are not important to them anymore....

Also...with all those bugs / glitches is obvious that they don't have their own  " teach team" (as they like to call it)

It is clearly that there is some low cost IT company from a some third world country involved with maintenance here.

So....do you really think that they have legal department ? Do you really think that there is single Shuttersck's employee whos job is to deal with those thiefs / sites ?

I strongly feel that we are alone here.

P.S.

Few days ago I started topic about all those " how to steal image from shutterstock"  videos on you tube, and how there is no one from SS to deal with those criminals.

No response from " SHUTTERSTOCK TEAM " . Not a single word.

I would echo the comments of everyone else: this does seem like a bad move that will hurt both contributors and Shutterstock itself. I would be interested to hear more about the research that suggests the move will result in more rather than fewer paid downloads from Shutterstock.

42 minutes ago, ArtOfPhotos said:

That was a VERY BAD IDEA that doesn't benefit customers at all, it just goes against us contributors.

Only thieves will find it beneficial.

It seems that there is same situation with complete Shutterstock's collection. Considering the lack of capability to protect content.

Only thieves will find it beneficial.

16 hours ago, Brendan Howard said:

. I would be interested to hear more about the research that suggests the move will result in more rather than fewer paid downloads from Shutterstock.

This is the key point, isn't it?  SS have only announced what they are doing (original post in this thread) but not the rationale behind it.  Would be nice to hear the informed view.  Mind you, that side of things (algorithms etc) does seem to stay hdden from view.

This is quite amusing and relevant to this:

https://petapixel.com/2018/06/07/this-stock-photo-fail-was-spotted-at-a-supermarket-in-poland/

handmixershutterstock-800x800.jpg

So basically a large supermarket chain is dull enough to use shutterstock watermarked images on products.  Funny yes, however, imagine if the watermarks are removed - they could do this and nobody would be any the wiser.  Result is lost income.

On 6/8/2018 at 7:51 PM, Richard Whitcombe said:

This is quite amusing and relevant to this:

https://petapixel.com/2018/06/07/this-stock-photo-fail-was-spotted-at-a-supermarket-in-poland/

handmixershutterstock-800x800.jpg

So basically a large supermarket chain is dull enough to use shutterstock watermarked images on products.  Funny yes, however, imagine if the watermarks are removed - they could do this and nobody would be any the wiser.  Result is lost income.

Dull you say ? OR they are smart enough to realize that there is NO ONE on Shutterstock who can deal with legal matter management.

Same as all those FREE SHUTTERSTOCK GIVEAWAY PHOTO WEB PAGES and all those  HOW TO DOWNLOAD SHUTTERSTOCK IMAGES videos on you tube.

Also it seems that  " SHUTTERSTOCK PARTNER SITES " realize that there is nobody on Shutterstock who can control how much of sales go trough their sites.

Shall we speak about how it is possible that Facebook allowing marketers to select from millions of free Shutterstock images for their ads ?

I can't remember that anyone from Shutterstock asked us about giving OUR work for FREE.  

Situation here " screams "  that here is no one who cares about us contributors and our money.

Shutterstock cares just about one thing - their profit.

And by each day that pass I'm more and more conviced that they are creating this atmosphere in stock industry so they could take more from us. There is no other explanation for all what is going on here. 

We all experienced HUGE sale drop and Shutterstock is bragging how they have growth in earnings ? Yeah. Right.

They are weasels and we are what ? Squirrels ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've seen around stolen images used publicly, only because there was a shutterstock (or other's) logo as a watermark. Without it, I will only think "ouh what a lack of taste and style in this use of big-pixels stretched photo ..." and it will be near to impossible to report stolen images.

I can't see any effort in that direction of making people more responsible about copyright. "Royalty free" is not a good idea for a name... images are LICENSED but copyrighted.

You (we) have an agreement with Facebook ... but it's easy to use a free-stolen image without a watermark, and social media marketing is a main use nowadays for images. If people can use images for free, they avoid to use their "free" images included in FB advertising pack, and will avoid directly to use promotions if they can.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2018 at 11:24 AM, Darlater said:

wtf fter.club ? Posting a name isn't going to change some site that's already all over the web. Secret code ?

Why not give us an anagram in morse code or something equally complicated, that doesn't work? I'd like to go look if my photos are being stolen.

• 7 months later...

Hello. I am very new in Shutterstock. I came to know about this platform accidentally. I work as an affiliate blog writer. They asked me to create images as well after writing content and I am confused because I am quite new in designing. Is there any membership plan for Shutterstock? if yes then I will be able to add text on images accordingly or not? I have seen many websites where people can easily remove watermark but it is unethical I think.

Let me know further please,

PS: I don't know either posting link of any website is legal or not. but i just posted it to show my identity and my work to others. 

Thanks

Hi @daniel466

Thanks for your post and for your interest in Shutterstock. 

We welcome you to our Community!

You should take a look at these useful resources for new Shutterstock contributors:

Your First Shutterstock Submission and Application Success

19 Common 'Newbie' Submission Mistakes You Can Easily Avoid

Also, our Contributor Blog contains an abundance of informative articles as well. Some really inspiring stuff!!

As a blog writer, you should use Shutterstock Editor to help you create some really cool designs for your blogs. The articles below will be super helpful to you understanding how it works:

https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/how-to-use-editor-homepage

https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/shutterstock-online-photo-editor

As per the Forum guidelines, the link to the blog/website has been removed. Please go over the Forum Guidelines to learn more about the "dos" and "don'ts"

I hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Alex

On 4/26/2019 at 6:03 PM, daniel466 said:

Hello. I am very new in Shutterstock. I came to know about this platform accidentally. I work as an affiliate blog writer. They asked me to create images as well after writing content and I am confused because I am quite new in designing. Is there any membership plan for Shutterstock? if yes then I will be able to add text on images accordingly or not? I have seen many websites where people can easily remove watermark but it is unethical I think.

Let me know further please,

PS: I don't know either posting link of any website is legal or not. but i just posted it to show my identity and my work to others. 

Thanks

• Jeff De locked, unfeatured and unpinned this topic