Removing Watermarks from Image Search Results

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello Everyone, As of this morning, we are beginning to deploy a change that will be removing watermarks from thumbnails on the search results page. This change is meant to provide a better

What a dull move! I agree that 260px is enough to be used and watermark doesn't bother anyone. You would better care more about protecting images instead of making them easier to steal.

That's very odd idea in my opinion. It is not client oriented thing that will drive more sales, it just works against contributors

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Naveen P Suthar said:

That is a very odd idea. Non-watermarked thumbnails of vectors with white or solid background can easily be used for web sites without buying them.
260px is enough to be used for web. At least SS can give an option to opt out from such features for the ease of contributors.

You would think... I would like a opt in/Out for just about everything. simple to do But I assume us having some control over our own work is just to Much for them.And Heres a concept. we set our own prices If they "REALLY" want something let them Pay the way. Just Like life....Just a dream Guys.

I am absolutely shocked and stunned by this idea.

I can go into my folio as though I am a buyer wanting to buy pictures 

Copy the image from the thumbnails and paste it into something as simple as "word" on my computer and blow it up to any size I want.  All I have to do is remove the word Shutterstock from the bottom of the picture which is outside the picture itself and its all mine.

As photographers we deserve better than this.     

All of us go out of our way to produce good photography that will attract buyers.

Please put watermarks back on the thumbnails NOW

I've been reading the comments of this post for the last half hour and was going to quote the best one I found but I agree with them all!  Really Shutterstock, you really need to start protecting the contributors that are making you all the money.  Have you been contacted by customers outraged that they can't copy a thumbnail and what is the relevance of the size.  It won't matter.  The people who illegally copy these thumbnails will use them. At least give us the opportunity to protect our property and opt out of this ridiculous idea.

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:32 PM, Alex Shutterstock said:

Hello Everyone,

As of this morning, we are beginning to deploy a change that will be removing watermarks from thumbnails on the search results page.

This change is meant to provide a better customer experience and drive more downloads of the assets customers are searching for. Please be aware that this change will only occur on the search results page, so only for thumbnails that are 260px tall. The watermarks will remain on any larger previews and individual content pages.

IyG4b_R5Gizq2vj6QYEQqV0HQOANgBdI2MIAZH0d

We look forward to seeing this help customers in their search for images and result in more downloads for our contributors!

Thanks,

Alex

Alex (or anyone else from Shutterstock) please feel free to chip in at anytime concerning the comments made to this thread...

On 5/17/2018 at 7:31 PM, Ira Lutsik said:

very bad decision!!! Every one can make the PrintScreen for any work!!! and what about seamless pattern - anyone can make big picture from a little one!!! maybe, from now on contributors should make an additional top layer with their own watermark to protect their works!

"maybe, from now on contributors should make an additional top layer with their own watermark to protect their works!"

I was thinking to do something like that with my vectors... but was also wondering will SS allow us to do so OR simply reject our work? Hope SS simply put opt out button for this great (for SS) ridiculous (for contributors) feature.

On 5/20/2018 at 2:26 PM, Darlater said:

BAD idea! Petition about that! https://www.change.org/p/shutterstock-return-watermark-shutterstock 

---

Website not working more good, put back watermark!!!!

Tell ya what. get a 100 and I'll do My best to get ya another 100 and even 200 is a drop in the bucket.

12 hours ago, artellia said:

I must say that since the watermark was removed, April was a bad month for sales and May is one of the worst months ever! Coïncidence?

For sure nothing to do with eachother. To short time to assume it. I dont believe that suddenly large part of ss customers stopped to license and decided to steal from now. I guess you have to look.for other reasons ;).

44 minutes ago, Laurin Rinder said:

This info has been out there a Very Long time my friend. terrible and seriously signals the end. which has been coming a very long time.

Agree 100 %. Everyone here worries about the watermark, no one talks about this real danger that will kill stock business. A few months ago Laurin you shared a Youtube video with a photographer ( don t remember the name) who actually made an  interview with Mikael Cho, founder of Unsplash. This sites are not FB , they are serious competition. 

The latest custom job I did was a book cover for a (more or less) hobbyist writer who doesn't like the covers his publishing company usually does. So, not too much money to be made. As he was on a budget, I was, too. I did the entire cover using pictures from Unsplash. (Sorry, guys!)
What I'd just like to say: We "microstock people" aren't the only ones having issues. It's about the entire creative industry instead. Graphic designers, book and magazine publishers, the news people ... everyone. And all disadvantages are getting passed on to the next one down in the pecking order. It's not just us. That's a global thing.

On 5/26/2018 at 7:57 AM, AKaiser said:

As he was on a budget, I was, too. I did the entire cover using pictures from Unsplash. (Sorry, guys!)

I understand this part, what is confusing to me is uploaders on unsplash why give their work for free? So many stock sites, so much opportunities with good images . Sites like Unsplash will appear like mushrooms, all this stock industry will fall appart...

16 hours ago, Benedek Alpar said:

I understand this part, what is confusing to me is uploaders on unsplash why give their work for free? So many stock sites, so much opportunities with good images . Sites like Unsplash will appear like mushrooms, all this stock industry will fall appart...

Yes, it probably will. 
I guess, the photogs on Unsplash just think this is a good means to promote themselves in order to get custom jobs. Can't judge this approach, but it sure adds to the downwards spiral regarding the worth of (digital) visual content.

• Jeff De locked, unfeatured and unpinned this topic