Removing Watermarks from Image Search Results

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello Everyone, As of this morning, we are beginning to deploy a change that will be removing watermarks from thumbnails on the search results page. This change is meant to provide a better

What a dull move! I agree that 260px is enough to be used and watermark doesn't bother anyone. You would better care more about protecting images instead of making them easier to steal.

That's very odd idea in my opinion. It is not client oriented thing that will drive more sales, it just works against contributors

Posted Images

#gamechanger  ;-)

but honestly: if someone wants to rip your image, he will find a way. so no need to panic. serious buyers will pay.

but for me as a buyer, i really dont care if there is a watermark or not. if some customers prefer search results without watermark, go for it. we will see if sales increase or decrease (somehow)

It is not important if picture is 50px or 100px or 260px or 5000px. It is still the same and still my picture. And I came here to sell it. If they trying to reduce safety to my image - it is bad decision. Even if it is so small. Why I should give away small picture. It is still my work, my product. And why  I can't get for free a small amount of every product in the shop? For example a free peace of sausage, a slice of bread... Oh look, now you have a free sandwich and you have no need to buy full size sausage and loaf of bread. So it's the same thing. I want to sell my picture even if it is used by someone in so small size. 

We can write here about our problems, especially about sales going down for more then 50%, but they don't give a care!

Last month I founded  contributor who is selling my photos as his, I reported and they only deleted that account and that's it!?

This is the first sign we should leave this kind of incomes and searching for something else, they will give our photos for free...

This is rather upsetting news, presumably it won't make much difference for buyers as current watermarks are not very disturbing. I can imagine this change will affect mainly panorama images and vectors as those thumbnails are quite usable even 260px tall :(:(. Wander if this change is done because SS agreed with something like pinterest or something similar to promote images without watermarks?

On 4/16/2018 at 9:32 AM, Alex Shutterstock said:

Hello Everyone,

As of this morning, we are beginning to deploy a change that will be removing watermarks from thumbnails on the search results page.

This change is meant to provide a better customer experience and drive more downloads of the assets customers are searching for. Please be aware that this change will only occur on the search results page, so only for thumbnails that are 260px tall. The watermarks will remain on any larger previews and individual content pages.

IyG4b_R5Gizq2vj6QYEQqV0HQOANgBdI2MIAZH0d

We look forward to seeing this help customers in their search for images and result in more downloads for our contributors!

Thanks,

Alex

Thanks for the update Alex

13 hours ago, Fer Gregory said:

IMHO it's kind of strange seeing the watermarks gone but I actually think portfolios look a lot cleaner now, I hope this will help buyers visualize our images more easily on their final product.

+1 - it does look a lot better. Also there is no simple right button click and save image which is a good thing.

8 minutes ago, cpaulfell said:

+1 - it does look a lot better. Also there is no simple right button click and save image which is a good thing.

Agree.

Thieves will never license anyway. Just because there is a wartermark on search results will not stop thieves doing their work. There will be no danger I think as it goes to sales. If this makes it easier for the buyers...why not? 

It is the license that we sell and not the image. Two loose things. 

Just because somebody has the image without watermark doest mean he is on save water.

I don’t think that this will result in any negative way. Those who want to steal will do it no matter the watermark. And yes, it is quite possible that Pinterest could be the reason behind their decision. People don’t like to pin watermarked images because they seem cheap and tacky ( I am not making that up, I heard it). And I know how most of you feel about Pinterest but it’s incredibly strong tool that drives sales. Shutterstock knows that, I know that! It’s given me many buyers. It is also strong referral tool. However people will not pin pictures with watermark so I am assuming that Shutterstock is lagging behind because of that.

Then again, the 260 px is a bit small for Pinterest so it could just be that buyers want to look at a cleaner preview. For perfectionists out there I can see how that would bother them. 

It has been said so many times that watermark never stopped anybody from stealing, and right now on some of my 260 px images watermark doesn’t cover anything, it totally misses the artwork anyway.

Let's wait for a few weeks to see if there is any impact on our sales. I think there are conflicting effects of such a measure and only future will show which one is stronger.

I understand there are situations, where 260 px is large enough to use. However, is it really a missed sale, or is such a customer far more likely to keep searching until they find another suitable picture for free? I definitely am not capable of answering that by anything else than very wild guess...

26 minutes ago, Haris vythoulkas said:

well its easy to download without watermark and this size is good enough for web usage

parthenon-temple-acropolis-athens-greece-260nw-719305414.jpg

Yes and then what..... the downloading person is creating an infringement. Just because they downloaded it without watermark makes it not valid for use. We will never see any money from this person anyway. He would never pay. The smart and real buyers know that using an image is public (magazines, internet etc.) and that it is very risky to be discovered. It is not worth to risk high fine. You can download the image for couple of dollars. 

The problem is not on downloading an image without watermark. The problem is using an image without license. We are selling licenses and not images. 

• Jeff De locked, unfeatured and unpinned this topic