Alex Shutterstock

Removing Watermarks from Image Search Results

2 hours ago, Mirco Vacca said:

Yes and then what..... the downloading person is creating an infringement. Just because they downloaded it without watermark makes it not valid for use. We will never see any money from this person anyway. He would never pay. The smart and real buyers know that using an image is public (magazines, internet etc.) and that it is very risky to be discovered. It is not worth to risk high fine. You can download the image for couple of dollars. 

The problem is not on downloading an image without watermark. The problem is using an image without license. We are selling licenses and not images. 

Few months ago we discover a huge leak on SS and believe me nobody afraid to use them without any licence.Many contributors was complaining about sales drop and that was a reason.

10 hours ago, Mirco Vacca said:

Agree.

Thieves will never license anyway. Just because there is a wartermark on search results will not stop thieves doing their work. There will be no danger I think as it goes to sales. If this makes it easier for the buyers...why not? 

It is the license that we sell and not the image. Two loose things. 

Just because somebody has the image without watermark doest mean he is on save water.

you can read on a daily basis that big companys (even companys in the photo biz) using images without paying the photographer.

instead of removing watermarks.... how about SS spending some money on educating people about image copyrights?
an advertisment that is PR for SS and at the same time touches the topic of copyright infringement.

some people believe anything that comes up on a google image search is free to use.
removing watermarks is sure nothing i see as positive for contributors.

we as contributors don´t know who buys a license to use an image.
so there is no way we can protect our rights.

1 hour ago, Aleks Kvintet said:

May be necessary to disable the auto scaling of images.
This picture without a watermark, I received in large size easily.
I magnified zoom in the browser and made a print screen.

+ on mobile devices with smaller screens it looks more than acceptable. fantastic. very useful tip for those who want-need-will...

SS is in a race to the bottom to see which stock image company can get as many images as possible while selling our work for as little as possible. Removing watermarks, even on small preview images, just encourages people to screen cap those for web use.  Net result is a net loss in revenue.

It's a lose-lose for everyone.

I find this action to be somewhat contradictionary.  Attached is bagpiper what obviously need to have model release for commercial use. It there would be seeable logo shield in background building also property release. Give 50 pixel same, goes same. It is very right to be so.

But how this all come related?

While amount of pixels 50, would be totally enough when judged about exist holding legal arguments for any model or business owner of restaurant background of any event namely against unauthorizized commercial use, still 260 pixel wide suddenly nothing while photographer rights in question.

Years silently there have been born expection for which level their work will be technically treated looking safety of i. property. Technically agreements likely ofcourse hold but "the weaker party" status hold water too.

Naturally said above are no good argument for fresh newcomers as I myself.  Oldtimers yet should have had fairly asked.

Former life I desing some products named stickers.  ALL those could have been printed easily from 260 pix wide material. Also kind of productline demand many items and SS with easy search is good provider. Far East competitors applaud. Though, same time must honestly note  they also have new Disney movies to offer.

I do not believe that making stealing easier would be solution for fact that stealing is possible. All negative sayed, this new thing will not have so mortal effect, it is a new weakened link.

Please forgive my lousy english. Thanks.

PA2A7532sakkip_comment.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:19 PM, Maxal Tamor said:

What?

There are so much more important problems to solve on Shutterstock, and the only think that you propose is to remove watermarks from our images… O_o

I agree you have a long ways to go still-uploaded are uploads disappearing...glitches...?/

On 4/18/2018 at 11:39 PM, Mirco Vacca said:

Agree.

Thieves will never license anyway. Just because there is a wartermark on search results will not stop thieves doing their work. There will be no danger I think as it goes to sales. If this makes it easier for the buyers...why not? 

It is the license that we sell and not the image. Two loose things. 

Just because somebody has the image without watermark doest mean he is on save water.

OK, then why not do it for the large sizes also?. Have them do yours. Not mine, Make it all a option..........Theres a concept, FOLKS DECIDING WHATS BEST FOR THEM. your delusional and your drinking the Kool Aid. Known Fact 80% of all images used Worldwide are stolen Just Like Music and Films. Wake up. Glad your a fan Boy But,There were Lots of people here that sold extremely well also that are now Gone. Watch your back my friend.

There gonna do whatever makes them and the investors more money, Thats what drives this engine. Not you or anyone. Not what helps us. The Vast majority Here are amateurs just exited that someone used there Image, It stops there. we sold the farm many Years ago. Doom and Gloom? No...... reality and Business. My crystal Ball or tinfoil Hat tells me 20 cents will be the norm in the not to distant future. All the other stuff will be gone or already disappeared anyway. Buyers simply have to many outlets to get what they want for free. and that is the future and then there gonna sell them something else..What, Who Knows.

Get paid for sending them "Pictures on your Hard drive"   Ya Right. One of the great catch lines ever. I don't blame SS one little bit. It's business and No matter they will receive  1 Million Images a week from all those out there and those to come that are Just excited someone Likes there work. No matter what.

Buy this new product and get 3 Images for free to do whatever you want.
Remember they don't have to rationalize what there doing to anyone. we Just talk. we don't do anything. Change?....Never. and remember theres a Lot of Places in the world that simply don't care Like the easy Places with pros working who will never be caught and if they are? whos gonna do something? You? SS gonna hire a staff Like disney does searching 24 Hours a day for infringement? Ain't gonna happen. It's Over guys.Wake up.
This whole thing stinks of what this has become. No one that makes decisions at SS has a port or does this for a living or even a hobby.. you think they care or understand?  if you do Im sure theres a DVD with a few 1000 of the best of the best and with software can Make them any size they want. even yours.
Even discussing this Blows me away. and NOT what this was supposed to be in the beginning.not even close.

Someday....down the road when all the rich guys are old and grey they will look back and wonder what they could have done. Our work Is all they Have people. The sites own nothing. and they don't Make anything. Anyone remember the saying "Were to big to Fail" this Biz is going in the wrong direction. And If I had 255 Pages/25,000+ Images and Only Making 3K a month? I would be very Bummed out after 13+ years..I used to make 3K a month with 500/1000 Images
25,000 images is a Lot of work and a lot of processing and all the other stuff especially if your with many sites I only have 6700 with 6 sites...42,400 Images working..........I respect that work ethic But....... Hmmmm I would feel kinda strange.

i wrote here 12 Years ago About cellphones and was laughed at and scorned. "Wait till the rest of the world by the billions start uploading and were getting 15 Cents or less if that".. right around the corner. why else are they Farming third world countries and have been for years. me, you and the vast majority here can be replaced in a Month with the same silly stuff. This ain't art guys.. And you can Take that to the bank.  Show me something New.....Go ahead.anything new. why do they approve so many?. because the replacement theory ... pretty simple.And...YES theres many Issues here as compared to other sites with None.

Good Luck.

1 hour ago, Laurin Rinder said:

OK, then why not do it for the large sizes also?

Excatly.

Also I do not feel this change come to buyers benefite, given practiced it decade now. I m afraid it do good only for such a competitors who are not most eager to honor rules. I did not remember any problems to pick material under watermarks. Difficult to see howcome it make real problem to any.