Sign in to follow this  
Aleksandra Stepien

Shutterstock - what's happening with you?

This is question to administrators.

Today I uploaded some photos showing money. They were almost immediately rejected because of 'Non-Licensable Content: Due to legal compliance restrictions, we cannot license this content in our collection.'

Untitled-1.jpg.27eec5e1ca87bfc92def767f5b4a4da3.jpg

I understand that some photos can only be published as editorial. So I checked the latest accepted photos with identical subjects. All pictures have been approved in the normal category without any license (not editorial). Below are links to almost identical photos like mine.

Untitled-4.thumb.jpg.0d047407453f62f7c24466be6c1d1a57.jpgUntitled-3.thumb.jpg.ed00ee32f914a5a955b9b9ee9582cbe2.jpgUntitled-2.thumb.jpg.4f806779933832e2c1bdf65300b063c4.jpg

https://www.shutterstock.com/search?search_source=base_landing_page&language=en&searchterm=english+pounds+banknotes&image_type=all

https://www.shutterstock.com/search?page=1&searchterm=macro close up of banknote&sort=newest&image_type=photo&search_source=base_landing_page&language=en

https://www.shutterstock.com/search?page=2&searchterm=macro close up of banknote&sort=newest&image_type=photo&search_source=base_landing_page&language=en

https://www.shutterstock.com/search?page=3&searchterm=macro close up of banknote&sort=newest&image_type=photo&search_source=base_landing_page&language=en

I would like to know why mine does not meet the requirements and the above yes.

Shutterstok is paranoidly afraid of violating other people's rights, but the links above show a notorious violation. And besides, Shutterstock does not treat all people equally. There is a division between better and worse contributors. Is Shutterstock not afraid of that?  Is Sutterstock not afraid of being accused of racism, sexism, etc.?
According to American standards, I could use such arguments.

Could any of the administrators explain to me the current situation?

PS. I've resubmited all rejected pictures as editorial and I still don't know if they will be accepted.

Best regards

Alex

The pictures on the site might have been accepted before they change the rules. Anyway, the reviewing is very inconsistent. 

Banknotes / Currency

• Flat scans, flat photographs, or head-on images of Banknotes (both U.S. & foreign) are unacceptable for commercial use.
  • Images containing banknotes are acceptable for commercial or editorial use (with a proper caption) as long as they are not direct shots of the entire banknote. These images will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
  • Canadian banknotes and Canadian coins are unacceptable to reproduce in any form.
  • British pound banknotes are unacceptable to reproduce in any form. British pound coins are acceptable for both commercial and editorial use.

https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/contributor-resources/legal/stock-photo-restrictions

5 minutes ago, Claude Huot said:

The pictures on the site might have been accepted before they change the rules. Anyway, the reviewing is very inconsistent. 

Banknotes / Currency

• Flat scans, flat photographs, or head-on images of Banknotes (both U.S. & foreign) are unacceptable for commercial use.
  • Images containing banknotes are acceptable for commercial or editorial use (with a proper caption) as long as they are not direct shots of the entire banknote. These images will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
  • Canadian banknotes and Canadian coins are unacceptable to reproduce in any form.
  • British pound banknotes are unacceptable to reproduce in any form. British pound coins are acceptable for both commercial and editorial use.

https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/contributor-resources/legal/stock-photo-restrictions

I understand you :) British pounds on Shutterstock (not editorial):

stock-photo-pound-money-of-united-kingdo

stock-photo-pound-money-of-united-kingdo

stock-photo-five-pound-banknote-on-a-whi

stock-photo-bitcoins-on-top-of-english-p

All for commercial using.

Once I uploaded a batch of mexican currency and got almost all of them rejected. I got like 3 accepted but the rejection reason was that the banknote was complete, therefore making counterfit or something like that possible.

I gave up with money, not worth the trouble

3 minutes ago, Fer Gregory said:

Once I uploaded a batch of mexican currency and got almost all of them rejected. I got like 3 accepted but the rejection reason was that the banknote was complete, therefore making counterfit or something like that possible.

correct 12 years ago. short story Maybe you'll get the point. I reviewed for 3 years 2002 2005. I wrote in 2005 Here I believe that if I saw another stack of coins or stacked Money I would shoot someone. I would try and Make your work More unique to you and not stuff thats been done .....A LOT. Just saying.

3 hours ago, Linda Bestwick said:

British notes are not allowed for commercial or editorial. These shouldn't be in the catalogue. Not worth getting worked up about, you'll just drive yourself crazy. 
Get some Euros or something if you really want to shoot notes ;) 

Yes, I know that wright now :) I'm not a lawyer and I don't know American or international law. So I often look at Shutterstock and check in the relevant sections if I can submit something. If I find it in SS gallery, I do that. I wanted to take a pictures of english pounds and I found them on SS. It was my answer if I can do it. And that's it.

There are english pounds in an editorial gallery as well, BTW :) 

Sorry for my English. It's not my first language :)

2 hours ago, Fer Gregory said:

I will also give up this subject. Thank you :)

2 hours ago, Thomas J. Sebourn said:

There is no logic as to why some things get accepted and others get rejected. Don't get mad if you look at my port ;)

Nice shapes. I'm not nervous at all :P

Seriously - I like your port :)

I don't understand the reason why they reject these "flat" images of banknotes.

Do they think that somebody will use them to print counterfeit money?
lol - if somebody really wants to do it he will scan or photograph the banknotes by himself……

26 minutes ago, Maxal Tamor said:

I don't understand the reason why they reject these "flat" images of banknotes.

Do they think that somebody will use them to print counterfeit money?
lol - if somebody really wants to do it he will scan or photograph the banknotes by himself……

Counterfeit protection and artwork protection (picture on the note is usually work of some artist).

Most countries have some kind of ban on reproducing their money in legislative and SS is not willing to get into trouble for that...

5 hours ago, Nannycz said:

Counterfeit protection and artwork protection (picture on the note is usually work of some artist).

Most countries have some kind of ban on reproducing their money in legislative and SS is not willing to get into trouble for that...

Well, I go around with my banknotes, but I don't do it with my Picasso…

23 minutes ago, Maxal Tamor said:

Well, I go around with my banknotes, but I don't do it with my Picasso…

I know I discussed the topic with a lawyer some time ago and he told me that the artwork (president,writer,landmark, etc.) on the note is heavily reproduced and very widely spread, but still essentially a piece of art contractually created by some sculptor/painter/etc. I personally found it weird - talking about (not)reproducing artwork which everyone has several pieces of in their pocket.

Some agencies will allow British bank notes provided they don't show the Queens Head.... if they do feature any part of the Queens head, then its a definite no!

Edit. something to think about. Images of a person who was living within the last 70 years will also cause problems and likely be declined as their image rights would have been transferrable to their estate and they retain copyright rights for 70 years past the persons death. 

The newer versions of Photoshop won't even let you edit any images that it recognizes as having a banknote in it. I couldn't even add metadata to the image. Had to open it up in an older version. Overkill to say the least. 

On 4/4/2018 at 2:21 PM, Laurin Rinder said:

yes tom You have the balanced Rock and Manhattan pier covered....LOL

I was referring to the piles of money and the image of the $100 that clearly violates SS terms ;)