Laurin Rinder

A Message to shutterstock staff.

Hey guys. PLEASE stop screwing around with the site and the UPLOAD. Your killing us with Bugs. Does Jon condone this crap?...Is He proud of whats going On? Is he still in control...In charge? why is SS the worst of the worst at IT?? these People do more damage than good By Far. Is this a way to make us veterans leave and say forget it?? and let the 25 Cent Newbies deal with it who dont care?....Is that what you want. It's pretty Obvious thats your market and who your after and why after all these Years this site as compared to your competition is in the toilet as far as IT is concerned and has been for Years. What in the hell are you spending all this proclaimed Profit on?? It certainly isn't IT Or theft or Spam  or....so many other things Like communication which SS traditionally is the worst of the worst and on the record. And lets Not forget the absolute worst incompetent Review staff ever ..,,,Probably again the upload system and getting worse which is saying something.

OK Rant Over and Im sure you know how we feel other than Newbies who are Pleased as Punch they sold 3 Images and account for the new "Forum" and us saying welcome over and over and trying Like hell to get them to Learn the basics of Photography For gods sake!!!!!!!

OK. Again, I had 62 rejections which is 57 More than I've ever had in 13 years. I re-uploaded a total of 5 times, rejected again...... I did 27 the other Night of the original 62 due to a new bottle of scotch. LOL All were approved and...i had a  email from staff to use a Number when I upload to attach which I didn't use. A number??? Please. How amateur is that. which came with a disclaimer that said this may work or not!...REALLY????

OK.....well Great they were approved and Im dying   to do the other 40 and Then I'll Use the Number they gave me. I'll Post after. Im telling ya. this place has more Bugs than a 4 dollar Motel Room. All the Money we made them and this is what we have to work with? REALLY?

I wish I didn't have to do these rants....I really do. Coming up on 55,000 Posts trying to help people without One word of thanks in 13 years. I have helped more people than any employee has ever!!!!   I got Jon the best players ever, Not a word...       I secured For Jon The domain Shutterstockmusic.com you think I got One sentence of thanks......Any thing/ No. Thanks Jon. Ya better clean up this Place man. and I know ya don't care as I've been told But maybe the next owner might. And a Note to whoever.. Time for a raise. The staff Im sure gets something ...WE who pay them get nothing.

I agree with you Laurin. Thank you to try again to make them understand but I'm afraid you're preaching in the desert :(

1 hour ago, Laurin Rinder said:

this place has more Bugs than a 4 dollar Motel Room.

I never saw a bug in the one I was using 50 years ago :D 

1 hour ago, Laurin Rinder said:

absolute worst incompetent Review staff ever ..,,,Probably again the upload system and getting worse which is saying something.

I do agree with you. 17 uploads - 13 rejected, 11 uploads - 10 rejected, 9 uploads all 9 rejected. And expected another 18 soon :D

Thank you very much SS for waking me up my other dormant site now willing to accept the same 36 files + 10 new with 44 approved, 2 revision (with reviewer notes which part to clone) and 0 rejection. At least that give me some motivation from my 2018 spending of thousands on 2 new bodies, tons of accessories for camera and studio.    

I agree. All this bugs are getting less and less sales. There is huge drop every month. So many new photos, not quality but quantity... I remember how hard was to get in here. So many people didn't get 7 of 10 uploaded photos to be a contributor. Now it's only 1 of 10 and you are here! And millions of new crap photos getting online every day. 

It's taking years to know what sales or nor, it's why old contributors are more valuable for SS. But numbers looks better when there are millions of photos. It's why sales dropped. Who cares...

and comunications.. Some pages has online chat with customer service.. Not so hard to make it right...

46 minutes ago, Alexlky said:

I do agree with you. 17 uploads - 13 rejected, 11 uploads - 10 rejected, 9 uploads all 9 rejected. And expected another 18 soon :D

Thank you very much SS for waking me up my other dormant site now willing to accept the same 36 files + 10 new with 44 approved, 2 revision (with reviewer notes which part to clone) and 0 rejection. At least that give me some motivation from my 2018 spending of thousands on 2 new bodies, tons of accessories for camera and studio.    

I got 10 to do again with File Transfer Error as Laurin says frequently the review process is the pits and if a sub is made it's not the money but something is working in the system that brings me a moment of joy BTW feel your frustration as 3 more this morning of 5 rejected as they didn't agree with my camera angle (back of people in a crowd) which if they'ed read my title correctly explained the image exactly but again as Laurin says is it worth challenging and doing again?...:lol:

3 hours ago, Laurin Rinder said:

OK. Again, I had 62 rejections which is 57 More than I've ever had in 13 years. I re-uploaded a total of 5 times, rejected again...... I did 27 the other Night of the original 62 due to a new bottle of scotch. LOL All were approved and...i had a  email from staff to use a Number when I upload to attach which I didn't use. A number??? Please. How amateur is that. which came with a disclaimer that said this may work or not!...REALLY????

The editorial reviewers are still declining images with the words "Lake District" and "Cumbria" because they believe the National Trust owns all the land in those areas. Well, they don't, not by a long stretch. Cumbria is an entire region of the UK, basically the North West of England. No matter how often you tell them they just refer you to a Wiki page that says they own X bit of land that is in the Lake District, Cumbria so decline everything in those regions. Crazy.

However, every cloud has a silver lining. One of Shutterstock's Editorial clients who publish a large number of magazines in the UK/Europe contacted me directly. They asked if they could deal directly as it seemed that there were very few new editorial images appearing lately and as they'd used a lot of my images over the years thought they'd just deal directly with me instead. Thanks Shutterstock, I've been rewarded by your incompetence as the only Agency not accepting UK Editorial outdoor content. 

Does anyone here (besides Laurin and me) remember Lisa the reviewer? She had these threads, I think they were called something like rejection review or something, where she would explain why a photo was rejected - or overturn that rejection. Best feature this site ever had.

Of course that was before some of our newer contributors were even born, so... with today's number of contributors that kind of service would be impossible to maintain.

10 hours ago, Laurin Rinder said:

Coming up on 55,000 Posts trying to help people without One word of thanks in 13 years.

Ouch! This is what hurts the most, I guess!

"True charity is the desire to be useful to others without thought of recompense"

5 hours ago, Ulrich Willmunder said:

Does anyone here (besides Laurin and me) remember Lisa the reviewer? She had these threads, I think they were called something like rejection review or something, where she would explain why a photo was rejected - or overturn that rejection. Best feature this site ever had.

Of course that was before some of our newer contributors were even born, so... with today's number of contributors that kind of service would be impossible to maintain.

Yes, a good friend and the best that ever worked here. I still Talk to her and "CORA" it was the way I reviewed for 3 years. The owner where I worked always gave me crap about that and I always said this is what they want. He backed down. What I forgot to say is what I read is 1.5 Million were accepted "Last week" or something??? maybe More or less so.....Why would they even Care what we think at all. The reviews must be working for someone. maybe they want 38 Cent folks to just go away.?? I guarantee Im on the critique forum More than anyone and I am constantly Looking at Ports especially the new folks. I am simply amazed at what is being approved and I am "NOT" in anyway Blaming them, accepting this work is not a service, You are giving false Hope and telling them "GREAT" They think getting accepted equates to sales. IT DOES NOT!!! underexposure,Crooked Horizons,white skies and Household bad pet shots are NOT going to sell! period......who is setting the Bar? and why?

yes, I know god Bless the new folks otherwise this place would cease to exist except for the Factories But...There Has to be a Line?? NO??

Again sorry for the Rant. But after all these years, frustrations are high.

8 hours ago, Patryk Kosmider said:

I agree. All this bugs are getting less and less sales. There is huge drop every month. So many new photos, not quality but quantity... I remember how hard was to get in here. So many people didn't get 7 of 10 uploaded photos to be a contributor. Now it's only 1 of 10 and you are here! And millions of new crap photos getting online every day. 

It's taking years to know what sales or nor, it's why old contributors are more valuable for SS. But numbers looks better when there are millions of photos. It's why sales dropped. Who cares...

and comunications.. Some pages has online chat with customer service.. Not so hard to make it right...

Hejka :) Sorki, że tą drogą, ale nie wiem jak tu wysłać priva i czy w ogóle można :) Na jakiej jeszcze stronie warto umieszczać swoje prace? Chodzi mi o jakąś jedną, ale za to uczciwą i na poziomie. Tutaj się nieco zawiodłam tym zalewem bylejakości. I jeszcze ciągle widzę posty, że odrzuca się bardzo dobre prace, a przyjmuje takie do d... :) Też tego doświadczam i myślę nad przeniesieniem się gdzie indziej, póki jeszcze tu nie zapuściłam korzeni.

Będę dozgonnie wdzięczna za podpowiedź :)

Pozdrawiam serdecznie :)

Alex

56 minutes ago, Laurin Rinder said:

Yes, a good friend and the best that ever worked here. I still Talk to her and "CORA" it was the way I reviewed for 3 years. The owner where I worked always gave me crap about that and I always said this is what they want. He backed down. What I forgot to say is what I read is 1.5 Million were accepted "Last week" or something??? maybe More or less so.....Why would they even Care what we think at all. The reviews must be working for someone. maybe they want 38 Cent folks to just go away.?? I guarantee Im on the critique forum More than anyone and I am constantly Looking at Ports especially the new folks. I am simply amazed at what is being approved and I am "NOT" in anyway Blaming them, accepting this work is not a service, You are giving false Hope and telling them "GREAT" They think getting accepted equates to sales. IT DOES NOT!!! underexposure,Crooked Horizons,white skies and Household bad pet shots are NOT going to sell! period......who is setting the Bar? and why?

yes, I know god Bless the new folks otherwise this place would cease to exist except for the Factories But...There Has to be a Line?? NO??

Again sorry for the Rant. But after all these years, frustrations are high.

Fully agree there.

Funny you should mention pet shots though. I was always told to stay away from shooting pets. These days, photos of pets make up for about 1/3 of my (none-stock) income. :D

Agreed on all points. I too remember a time when you could actually talk to the reviewers and explain certain things. Now the best one can hope for is a form email. And the endless rejections for bogus reasons, and going through all the upload crap over and over again... one is left with the feeling "why bother". I wish I had participated more years ago, instead of now.

Agreed too on bar being lowered too much. Why SS chooses quantity over quality is beyond me. It just makes it frustrating for everyone involved.

2 hours ago, Aleksandra Stepien said:

Hejka :) Sorki, że tą drogą, ale nie wiem jak tu wysłać priva i czy w ogóle można :) Na jakiej jeszcze stronie warto umieszczać swoje prace? Chodzi mi o jakąś jedną, ale za to uczciwą i na poziomie. Tutaj się nieco zawiodłam tym zalewem bylejakości. I jeszcze ciągle widzę posty, że odrzuca się bardzo dobre prace, a przyjmuje takie do d... :) Też tego doświadczam i myślę nad przeniesieniem się gdzie indziej, póki jeszcze tu nie zapuściłam korzeni.

Będę dozgonnie wdzięczna za podpowiedź :)

Pozdrawiam serdecznie :)

Alex

Hi, I've send you an answer as a message ;) Just click in the member logo and messages...

1 hour ago, Patryk Kosmider said:

Hi, I've send you an answer as a message ;) Just click in the member logo and messages...

This is when Google Translate becomes helpful:

Hejka :) Sorki, that this way, but I do not know how to send priva and if you can do it at all :) On what other site is it worth to post your work? I mean one, but honest and on the level. Here I was a little disappointed by this flood of mediocrity. And I still see posts, that I reject very good works, and accepts such to d ... :) I also experience this and think about moving somewhere else, until I have grown root here.

I will be eternally grateful for the hint :)

Best wishes :)

JUST ONCE..it would be nice for SS to apologize for all the problems and errors and erroneous reviews and actually tell us what is being done to fix these issues and, if they have enhancement plans, what they are before they are implemented. And it would be nice if SS told they monitor sales regularly to ensure that we are credited with ALL sales and that sales are accurate...just once.

JUST ONCE..it would be nice for SS to apologize for all the problems and errors and erroneous reviews and actually tell us what is being done to fix these issues and, if they have enhancement plans, what they are before they are implemented. And it would be nice if SS told they monitor sales regularly to ensure that we are credited with ALL sales and that sales are accurate...just once.

Apology = admitting negligence + potential lawsuit.

Maybe they can "deeply regret" instead :D 

16 hours ago, Laurin Rinder said:

more Bugs than a 4 dollar Motel Room

Well, as for this one... If I'd have a bug on site, I wouldn't go to sleep until I got it fixed.

I used to run several commercial internet stores and other sites, taking care of the servers, coding live while doing also many other things, typical at the small companies. That would be a shame... Also the owners would try to kick my ass, but that wasn't ever the case.

So...I have NO IDEA how the h... SS webmasters can sleep???;)

Especially that people on the forums point out all the bugs for free, they are testing the site for free. There are other coders who tried to help here, who worked on some third party tools. Yet someone is messing around with the site over and over and doesn't care.

That useless sorting methods looking like a random heap of garbage (according to the search term) make me feel sick.
Google has the whole world to index and yet they don't show hundreds of similar pictures at once. Zaz.. has a lot more stuff and easily you can find your items, there are SEVERAL sorting methods available, on site design.... man...
Check out Al...y, upload something and see how it's wisely spread across the other content. Check out their stats system and keyword discovery tools.
At some point of time Shutterstock's algorithm used to be really good, just like the acceptance policy. Nowadays... would be really hard to read the real opinion of many contributors, because those would be similar to the OPs one. That's pretty sad...

* And I did not even start to talk about sales *

I am new here (about six months) but I agree with you, I also want the review process to become more severe because I don't see why you should upload 100 or 200 similar pictures and in some cases the photos are also very bad, that will only burry the good photos and customers WILL leave because the majority of customers WILL NOT BUY poor composed and edited pics.  I don't say that my pictures are amazing , maybe my pictures are also bad but at least I don't upload 200 similar images... I wait to see what sells, I search for feedback so I can find out what people think about some of my photos before I upload.

I am writing this because if someone from staff reads this forum they should know there are also some new users that are very upset about what is happening. 

So I think Shutterstock would make more sells and be more appreciated by customers if:

- the reviewing process will be based on much more quality not necessary on quantity

- photo will be rejected if they are already a lot of similar pictures on Shutterstock (if 75-80% of the picture looks like other photos on SS)

- they should add a random button (someone said that a few months ago here ), I think it is a very good idea and would make customers more interested 

- they should stop changing the site all the time

- and do something about new users who come and think they will make 100 or even 1000  :)))))) USD/month with their vacation, dog or flowers pictures by uploading hundreds of poor composed and edited images. 

And the list could continue...

I hope my english is good enough...