Jeanette Teare

Editing out images that have not sold

Hi everyone, this is my first post so please be kind!

I joined shutterstock a year ago, and have had what I consider to be reasonable success so far, although I've only got 240 images up, I am quite selective. I can see in the insights which ones have sold, but I can't see which ones haven't. As my portfolio grows, I'd like to take out the non-selling images. Can anyone show me where to find this?

On your contributor page (or at least on mine) top performers are listed at the bottom right. The top performing images are listed first with the poor performers at the far end of the queue. There are many here who would disagree but my advice would be that unless you are personally unhappy with an image (perhaps it is too similar to other images or you think it has a technical problem) I would not delete just because it has not sold. You never know what might sell and it costs nothing to keep images available. I have more than one image in my port that has only sold once but for $50+. For what its worth, I think you have a nice port. 

I don't think there is a direct way to see if images have no dls unless you have the app on a smartphone. From there you can view your port and if you click on an image it shows how many times its been downloaded and how much it has made. It shows 0 if it's not been downloaded. Still not convenient for large ports as you have to scroll through the whole thing to find what you want.
Another option from your dashboard, as well as Marks suggestion, is to make sets in your catalog manager and while viewing a set go to 'view set stats' under 'set actions'. This will show you everything that has sold, anything not in there from the set will have no dls.
If there is a direct way from the dashboard I've not come across it.

Insights --> Top Performers   will list all images that have sold.   Everything not there has 0 DL's, so this is the indirect way.

I salute you for being selective about your port; if only more were like that,  whole industry would be in much better shape.  But, as other suggested, unless you are personally unhappy with specific content for whatever reason,  don't remove it just because it has 0 DL's.   Market needs are fickle and you never know.  What does pay off however is examining search words/phrases that led customer to content that has sold, then (if applicable of course, no spamming)  updating others.

28 minutes ago, Autumn Sky Photography said:

Insights --> Top Performers   will list all images that have sold.   Everything not there has 0 DL's, so this is the indirect way.

I salute you for being selective about your port; if only more were like that,  whole industry would be in much better shape.  But, as other suggested, unless you are personally unhappy with specific content for whatever reason,  don't remove it just because it has 0 DL's.   Market needs are fickle and you never know.  What does pay off however is examining search words/phrases that led customer to content that has sold, then (if applicable of course, no spamming)  updating others.

Great Post.If it's worth going through the hassels nowdays of submitting here. It's worth Keeping. I looked at your port I see no issues. many More People Because thats what sells. other than that. keep it all.PM'ed you

As my portfolio grows, I'd like to take out the non-selling images.

I would advise against that. Once in a blue moon I get an image I submitted 4 years ago that I absolutely hate sold. Who knows what buyers are looking for? Lastly and most importantly, the search engine doesn't punish your great images because you have useless ones in your port. 

Only delete embarrassing self portraits that you took because you were bored and are now embarrassed of. Or if someone wants to purchase an exclusive use license for BIG $$$$$$$ (though you'll probably have to disclose that the image had been licensed previously as royalty free.) 

Thanks for the advice. I got the impression if an image is selling well, then it comes up well in the search results, hence "popular" and if there are others which are similar but less popular, that sort of dilutes the effect?

I haven't put any embarassing self portraits in yet!

On 20/03/2018 at 9:15 PM, Jeanette Teare said:

Thanks for the advice. I got the impression if an image is selling well, then it comes up well in the search results, hence "popular" and if there are others which are similar but less popular, that sort of dilutes the effect?

I haven't put any embarassing self portraits in yet!

Hi Jeanette. I wouldn't delete any photos. You never know what someone is looking for.  And yours look great to me. Funny the ones that I seem to sell most of are just what I shot in the passing. I have never really been able to plan a shoot and get anything worthwhile.