Sign in to follow this  
sljones

A new game for the weekend

4 hours ago, Laurin Rinder said:

Easy #2. i know you didn't ask for a critique But.....you have some very cool Images in your Port But your Obsession to shoot Most things vertical Completely Kills the usability especially Landscapes and the Little boy which could have been a winner.... you blocked Him Off. a Buyer can make a vertical if they need One. You submit it that way and you take away that Option. Just saying My friend. Your call.Composition is where the story is.

Why not vertical? Around 75% of the images used in the print press (magazines) are vertical…

And if you can make a vertical image from an horizontal one, you also can make an horizontal image from a vertical one.
The best is to shoot both, vertical and horizontal ;)

19 minutes ago, Maxal Tamor said:

Why not vertical? Around 75% of the images used in the print press (magazines) are vertical…

And if you can make a vertical image from an horizontal one, you also can make an horizontal image from a vertical one.

100% agreed with vertical

Another thing that sells (in landscape world) are wide panoramas

I also vote for #2, although it is the nicest image for me LOL

1 hour ago, Maxal Tamor said:

Wanna explain how to make a Horizontal from vertical?? LOL and I agree shoot Both if the subject tells you to.This one to me had a lot of potential for a nice story. wanna show me how to do a Horizontal from this? Love to see that.The Term Portrait and landscape is Not really a Photographic term. Vertical or horizontal Is. it's all Moot really Not my Port and none of my business.I would have Liked to know more about the Little Boy and why he was happy.And yes Publications use Vertical a Lot. wonder how many started off Horizontal.? I will shoot vertical If the subject is full Body and Looking at the camera. other wise Horizontal 90% of the time then I have options later on.Then again. this was shot vertical and used for a Nat Geographic Cover. I got double duty and made a horizontal. LOL

stock-photo-bali-indonesia-march-a-young-balinese-boy-sits-in-the-grass-watching-other-children-1030715161.jpg

CAT 11254 CD360 AN AMAZING SPIRITUAL LEADER AGAINST THE SKY..jpg

10 hours ago, Laurin Rinder said:

Easy #2. i know you didn't ask for a critique But.....you have some very cool Images in your Port But your Obsession to shoot Most things vertical Completely Kills the usability especially Landscapes and the Little boy which could have been a winner.... you blocked Him Off. a Buyer can make a vertical if they need One. You submit it that way and you take away that Option. Just saying My friend. Your call.Composition is where the story is.

Thanks Laurin - I appreciate your feedback.  To be honest I hadn't even noticed I had a lean towards vertical shots, nor that I had a lot in my port, so this is a useful observation.  Most of these photos were taken before I considered entering into stock - the things I love about stock is that it has changed the way I think when I am photographing.  For example in the past I wouldn't have dreamed of putting people in a landscape, just not my thing, now I am looking for them.  In the same way I wasn't thinking that a horizontal shot may be more saleable, I just shot what appealed.  Shooting for stock has opened up a whole new world of challenges  - I will add thinking about horizontal compositions to the list.

Totally agree about the little boy - I can see some context about what he is looking at would have improved the photo immensely.  

5 hours ago, Autumn Sky Photography said:

Another thing that sells (in landscape world) are wide panoramas

Thanks.  I actually do have quite a few panos - just not too many in my port yet.  Will have to go back through and see if there are more worth uploading.  

1 hour ago, sljones said:

Thanks Laurin - I appreciate your feedback.  To be honest I hadn't even noticed I had a lean towards vertical shots, nor that I had a lot in my port, so this is a useful observation.  Most of these photos were taken before I considered entering into stock - the things I love about stock is that it has changed the way I think when I am photographing.  For example in the past I wouldn't have dreamed of putting people in a landscape, just not my thing, now I am looking for them.  In the same way I wasn't thinking that a horizontal shot may be more saleable, I just shot what appealed.  Shooting for stock has opened up a whole new world of challenges  - I will add thinking about horizontal compositions to the list.

Totally agree about the little boy - I can see some context about what he is looking at would have improved the photo immensely.  

Good for you. Glad I could help. also try as much as you can to put anything that is similar  separated by a page. Buyers don't wanna see 10 duck pictures that are silly. collect images then.......put distance between them. I always have 200/300 I hold back. And also try your best to remember This is a stock site we supply Images to be used to sell a product or service and That is gonna require "COPY SPACE" very few of your Images do this. What you did in the past is dead. lets think about going forward. Good luck.

11 hours ago, Laurin Rinder said:

Wanna explain how to make a Horizontal from vertical?? LOL and I agree shoot Both if the subject tells you to.This one to me had a lot of potential for a nice story. wanna show me how to do a Horizontal from this? Love to see that.The Term Portrait and landscape is Not really a Photographic term. Vertical or horizontal Is. it's all Moot really Not my Port and none of my business.I would have Liked to know more about the Little Boy and why he was happy.And yes Publications use Vertical a Lot. wonder how many started off Horizontal.? I will shoot vertical If the subject is full Body and Looking at the camera. other wise Horizontal 90% of the time then I have options later on.Then again. this was shot vertical and used for a Nat Geographic Cover. I got double duty and made a horizontal. LOL

Wanna explain how to make a vertical from horizontal?? LOL (me too)

It is exactly the same thing!!!!
In fact it depends of what is your original, and of the result you want to get

If you have enough resolution to work with, I don't see why you couldn't. In fact, I like this crop better than the original. Gives him space to look out into and removes unnecessary and distracting information.

boy.jpg.2866ecc341c66d3f38afe32b736a6e8e.jpg

Depends on what a buyer wants the image for, Laurin. I buy stock images for video programs when I can't find (or my client doesn't have the budget for) actual footage. So, a square crop doesn't work at all, and copy space is not something I am looking for.

That said, we've totally digressed here. Game is still on, and I can't wait for the answer tomorrow!

16 minutes ago, Simone Hogan said:

Depends on what a buyer wants the image for, Laurin. I buy stock images for video programs when I can't find (or my client doesn't have the budget for) actual footage. So, a square crop doesn't work at all, and copy space is not something I am looking for.

That said, we've totally digressed here. Game is still on, and I can't wait for the answer tomorrow!

The crop you use is disadvantageous. The kid's hand looks like a snag. Don't cut in joints.

1 hour ago, mandritoiu said:

Laurin, this is a bad example. Your new blurred background is rather poorly isolated. I expect more from a teacher with your experience, even when it's about a quick and dirty job. You have a reputation to preserve. I'm sure you can do better!

1image.png.678bcb4e446d26b949acf566889b8acc.png

Well, what were you expecting? Laurin makes just an example and he is right.

1 minute ago, mandritoiu said:

You just quoted what I am expecting: don't publish such sloppy jobs as examples.

I said that is just an example and don't wait finished work. The example here doesn't have to be perfect. Not work, not job. Just an simple example. That's all.

14 minutes ago, mandritoiu said:

Maybe it works for you, but Laurin has a reputation to preserve. He should know better.

Thank you man, maybe works or not. It's not about me and we don't understand each other. You can be sure he knows better.

50 minutes ago, mandritoiu said:

It's not about you, indeed, except when you defend an obvious error.

The whole story of his post was about "look at me, I'll teach you how it's done!" + several unnecessary LOLs.

If it was just about a form factor example, why changing the background? That lousy isolation makes it really a bad example. 

Besides, Simone had a good point. Why don't you give her some slack about cutting that wrist, while you defend Laurin's sloppy boy isolation?

I'm sure that, now, he knows better and his future examples will be top quality.

First thing, I don't attack and I don't defend. Don't judge me. This is a forum where good people share good thoughts. See the good intentions. Laurin's isolation not good, because I said it's just an example not error but  the idea to make a horizontal from vertical is better than Simone crop example. Not only I say that is bad idea cut hand, leg, waist in joints. You only understand it if you want, but will tell you somebody else too.

2 hours ago, albingraph said:

First thing, I don't attack and I don't defend. Don't judge me. This is a forum where good people share good thoughts. See the good intentions. Laurin's isolation not good, because I said it's just an example not error but  the idea to make a horizontal from vertical is better than Simone crop example. Not only I say that is bad idea cut hand, leg, waist in joints. You only understand it if you want, but will tell you somebody else too.

Yes, this is a forum and we should respect the OP topic instead of transforming each thread in another "show your..." thread or an unrequested and unrelated "tutorial".

It is disrespectful towards the OP and other players to hijack their topic all the time.

1 hour ago, Whiteaster said:

Yes, this is a forum and we should respect the OP topic instead of transforming each thread in another "show your..." thread or an unrequested and unrelated "tutorial".

It is disrespectful towards the OP and other players to hijack their topic all the time.

show me, show you, show must go on... show it is interesting, not interesting if it boring or bad show

I again.  Well its Monday and that means the answer will be revealed and it was ........ number 2 the Antarctic landscape.  Well done to all those who got it right. 

So what can we learn from this?  Actually I have no idea I just hope you had some fun :D

I would also like to thank those of you who contributed some interesting discussion to this thread - whether I asked for a critique or not I think discussion of different points of view is always valuable.  However, in future let's not attack people who are using their own time to help others.  Some of the latter posts were not a pleasant read. 

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 6:54 AM, Autumn Sky Photography said:

I also vote for #2, although it is the nicest image for me LOL

Yes it is my favourite of that group too. 

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 2:32 AM, stevemart said:

#2. Doesn't appear on your first page of popular whilst the others do. :)

That's cheating :P 

Or maybe its just smart.

3 hours ago, sljones said:

So what can we learn from this?  Actually I have no idea I just hope you had some fun :D

Actually I think we can all learn something - what works in stock (and what doesn't).  Someone said how landscapes are niche hard to break into in stock photography.  This example only confirms it.

Thank you so much for doing this, it was indeed fun.