Tedrique

Under or over exposed?

5aa0648252d4a_C(5).thumb.JPG.91efc7f5e0d127a78e68809b9bb228f7.JPG

I have submitted this picture twice now, rejected both times, and below is the correspondence about it.  You may like it or hate it, but the way it is, is the way I want it.

What do you think about this, or what do you suggest?

And now, read on: 

ME:  I refer to my upload:  1037760241  that has been rejected: 'Exposure -- Image is extremely underexposed or overexposed'.
It is not under or over exposed; it is exactly as I wanted it.
I have had this problem before - I had to re-upload one three times before the assessor realised that it was the way I intended it.
With this one I used this caption:

"Beautifully exposed afternoon mountain lake scene with  bright highlights balanced against shadows.  Two silhouette spectators. Almost monochrome  but with distant deep blue mountains.  
I thought my message would make the assessor realise that it was exactly as I wanted it.
Can you arrange to have it added to my portfolio, please, or what do I have to say if I re-submit it?

SS:  Thank you for contacting Shutterstock Contributor Care.
We appreciate your concern regarding your review. We strive for a consistent review experience; however, we realize there is always room for improvement. All content is reviewed by professionals with significant experience in the creative sector. Each image or clip is reviewed on an individual basis with guidelines set by Shutterstock.
If you disagree with a rejection, you are welcome to resubmit your content for a secondary review. Your submission will be reevaluated while taking into consideration the previous rejection reasons. Please keep in mind that this does not guarantee approval.
Any information explaining an artistic intention is not just important to the reviewer to properly evaluate your content, but is also very useful for a customer to know, so we ask you to explain your intention behind the image in the Title/description. The reviewer will take this into consideration during the review process and, if your image is approved, it will help the customer to better judge the image and your intention.
Should you need any further information or assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

ME:  Thank you, I will try again but in this case I did explain my 'artistic intention'.

My title said: ' Beautifully exposed afternoon mountain lake  scene with  bright highlights balanced against shadows.  Two silhouette spectators. Almost monochrome  but with distant deep blue mountains'.

I don't know how else you can explain it, especially as you have only 200 keystrokes to do so.

Also, as happened on a previous occasion, I had to go to the trouble of resubmitting it three time before it was accepted.

Could you have another box to tick saying that the exposure of this image is exactly as I wanted it and it is not to be rejected because it is under/over exposed?

SS:  Thank you for contacting Shutterstock Contributor Care.
Unfortunately, currently we do not have such features that allows you to tick a box when you are submitting an image that is over exposed or under exposed as per your artistic intentions.
Should you need any further information or assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

The same picture has just been rejected for the second time for the same silly reason, this time with the caption:

'Magnificent almost monochrome picture of lake shimmering in afternoon light with silhouette of two people in foreground and deep blue mountains in background.  Dark foreground'.   

What else can I put?

Will you sort this out immediately, please.

As to a box to tick regarding 'artistic intentions', I realise that you haven't got one but my suggestion was that you make such a feature available.

• Resubmit without making any changes.
  • Indicate that it is a re-submission.
  • It most likely will be accepted the 2nd time.

Thank you Leonard, but I have done just that, except for re-wording the caption, and it has been rejected the second time.

Your photo is quite chaotic in terms of subjects, practically no visual flow, and the most annoying is big deep black part at foreground that has no function.
Technically it also has problems with a grain and artifacts in the background.
I think, despite the reduced criteria, that this image should not pass.
Sorry to my honest opinion, and I think there is no need to torture yourself further about it.

I've had images rejected for this reason too when it was my artistic intent to expose for the highlights as you did, but these got accepted and they're similarly dark:

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/wake-boarder-waterskiing-leaning-low-touching-472359139?src=mI9ftmthrboMseAJwzeDuw-19-50

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/october-21-2016-quiet-waters-park-715835077?src=mI9ftmthrboMseAJwzeDuw-5-70

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/wake-boarder-waterskiing-leaning-low-touching-450935950?src=mI9ftmthrboMseAJwzeDuw-21-33

I think your image would have been accepted if the person standing was sitting or kneeling and thus their head was in front of the bright, sparkling sunlit water ripples.  It's kinda hard to see their head against the dark blue mountains.

1 hour ago, Rasica said:

and the most annoying is big deep black part at foreground that has no function.

Some might call that copy space!

Shutterstock does not get artistic lighting or images.  In the end, however, its their company, their rules.  I would just move on and forget about this one. 

1 hour ago, Linda Bestwick said:

It's full of noise and there's sensor spots. Sorry didn't have time to read full post, in a rush, but it will get rejected for that alone. 

I agree - you would need to fix it technically to get it approved anyway.

1 hour ago, Rasica said:

and the most annoying is big deep black part at foreground that has no function.

Funny how we all see different things - its the too dark sky I find most off putting. 

26 minutes ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Some might call that copy space!

I don't agree, in this case there is plenty of other spaces for "copy space", especially in the sky, so the camera should have been lifted up to the sky for better framing, but I assume that he try to avoiding problem with facing the sun. It's not just a point to make a copy space, but to understand the role of composition as a whole, without talking about aesthetic value.

There are so many better ways to copy space, when it comes to silhouettes and shooting in back lighting.

stock-photo-silhouette-of-young-woman-in

Just now, Rasica said:

There are so many better ways to copy space, when it comes to silhouettes and shooting in back lighting.

stock-photo-silhouette-of-young-woman-in

Yes and you should advise that woman to stop holding the sun because it could burn her hands!

1 hour ago, Rasica said:

"Having an eye" for the composition may be the most difficult thing to achieve in a photography. :)

Or...the easiest. some just have it and some never get it and others have to do a Lot of work and study it. I always suggest to folks Take a art class Like your wanting to paint. all this stuff and rules come from the basics of Painting.

As for your Image?...it's a mess. and should have not been submitted in My Opinion and at the very least removing the dust spots and running the blur tool Over the sky for the Noise. a lot of times you can get away with some very slight Noise But Dust Bunnies?....Never. the white on the heads of both people should have been removed [I did] and the Horrible Blob of Black foreground with No subject or reason to be there which takes up at least half of the frame had to go. Good composition is a visual tool used to force the viewer to Look at a Image or study it. It Can be and Most times is a very Powerful tool. I also believe sometimes rules need or should be broken to achieve a personal end or to complete a story.

This is stock Photography, which Can be creative But Mostly must be useful for a potential buyer to use in His or her Project for themselves or client to sell a Product or service.

Many forget this Important Point and think this is a art site....Well , It's not a art site. Not really. we don't sell prints for a wall. That doesn't mean you can't...I certainly do but, trust me there are much better markets for that Output. I try to mix it up. I do Paintings for one group of Buyers. Landscapes,Portraits 'Mostly emotional' food,animals,Flowers,editorial,some sports,Closeups,lots of B&W for me.street work,Human condition,Racism and the List goes on But, If in not fulfilled or happy with a pic. No one will see it.

I would advise you to be More selective,study the Image before submitting and Hopefully make a difference here and elsewhere. Get out there and "MAKE" photographs anyone can just go "Take Pictures" we don't need anymore of that....OK? and Have your sensor cleaned. alway's turn your camera Off when changing a lens.... when it's on. it acts Like a magnet for dust and microscopic metal particles collected in the lens Box.. and turn it camera facing down.As a teacher I see people everyday doing scary.......really stupid things.

OK....how does one get better at Photography quicker?....easy shoot what turns "YOU" on no one else. I would care One little Bit if No one Liked what I did I shoot for me Unless Im doing a client, Then that goes away and then you have to learn to see.......... LOL always something. this is easy. learning to see is not. your Picture still has many issues composition wise and commercial value wise. I would let it go.

always try [at least for stock] and something you must learn trying to sell to anyone at anytime Is....What can this Image be used for? Whats the Output?whats the story? what am I trying to say? if you can't do that and come up with answers........Well then I must say. "Because of digital,Photography has become something everyone can enjoy but doing it commercially Is Not for everyone"...thank God. I think SS staff doesn't believe that...I do But thats because it's been a huge integral Part of my Life for 61 years.

Sometimes it's tough waking up and putting On your Client hat, then your stock Hat,Then your Gallery hat But......it's what we do. good luck and remember sometimes a Picture Just doesn't work. And if you read me for 13 years you would know I have issues with reviewers partly because I was one for 3 years. this time they were correct.And especially this site...To much has slipped in under the Radar for some reason that NONE of us can understand.

Dont know your camera make But stay completely away from raising ISOs. Use a tripod instead and use the blur tool with whatever software you use before submissions in the sky only. AFTER you clean the sensor and I strongly suggest you have someone else do that. Silhouettes should be Silhouettes. yours is not. Now it is. And there is a beginning to somewhat of a story Now without all the visually confusing bits.i probably would have removed one of the people.

5aa0648252d4a_C(5).thumb.JPG.91efc7f5e0d127a78e68809b9bb228f7.JPG

5 hours ago, Rasica said:

"Having an eye" for the composition may be the most difficult thing to achieve in a photography. :)

That's very well said.   Like Messi playing football, some things just come naturally to some people, while others need lots of hard work.

Btw that yellow silhouette holding sun photo is amazing.  I could study and admire it for hours.  actually quite simple, that's maybe it's brilliance

10 hours ago, Leonard Whistler said:
  • Resubmit without making any changes.
  • Indicate that it is a re-submission.
  • It most likely will be accepted the 2nd time.

This is a very bad advice at it can get you a warning on your account :

If we see repeated issues related to content submissions or account activity, you may receive a warning. Multiple warnings may result in account suspension or termination. Some reasons for receiving warnings are:

• Consistent repeated resubmissions without addressing the rejection reasons

9 hours ago, Tedrique said:

5aa0e5510ce3c_SSDigitalArts3.jpg.ef1df70864cf12b9edb82befb3c605ae.jpg

I have submitted this picture twice now, rejected both times, and below is the correspondence about it.  You may like it or hate it, but the way it is, is the way I want it.

What do you think about this, or what do you suggest?

And now, read on: 

ME:  I refer to my upload:  1037760241  that has been rejected: 'Exposure -- Image is extremely underexposed or overexposed'.
ME:  Thank you, I will try again but in this case I did explain my 'artistic intention'.

Hi Tedrique you are the only one know how beautiful the scene was. No one can argue with you, your eyes is your witness but unfortunately your camera is not as strong as what you have seeing. I cannot say how much artistic it is but I love so much when a picture can tell stories. I like your composition and I like the foreground because that was part of the story too. But if it was too dark I cannot see clearly. So, Laurin insight and suggestion was really good. Your picture cannot be improve by editing (I can't) but if you have an option to be there again, I hope you can prove to everyone they are wrong.  

P/S: Sometime when re-submit, I am quite sure it will not going through the same reviewer, most of time they are really good but sometime real funny, rejections with all sort of difference reasons until I am so confuse do know which one to believe :):D  ;)... my apologies reviewers for poking fun

5aa0f408c2109_1DSC_0192s1.thumb.jpg.e08a1a1cb2049a3ca56e6753cff84da8.jpg 

Title: Water reflection of sky and fisherman, copy space. Rejected: Focus -- The main subject of this image is not in focus. Exposure -- Image is extremely underexposed or overexposed.

5aa0f50d88529_1DSC_0192s2.thumb.jpg.0198f8cf4148c1551829c95ca2cbdc93.jpg

Title: Fisherman and water reflection of sky. Rejected: Model Release -- A model release is required for this image or the attached model release does not meet our requirements, is illegible, or additional model releases are needed.