Paul R. Jones

External storage device

OK, Just so Happens i had dinner tonight with a very Famous Photographer who has a archive Of the Most famous faces ever going back 50 years, We talked for an hour about this issue and Now I feel really stupid. My 355 DVDS are useless. My HD's are out dated 10 minutes after I buy them. he said. "The cloud" is where everything is going. Im gonna have to recant everything and re-do everything. I have no problem doing it but. I have to. my Music library alone is 8 TB's  491 TV shows 37 feature Films and 49 Record Albums.

I START TOMORROW.

Dear Laurin,

Thanks for your extra efforts with this issue...everyone who has replied and read what has been posted is better for it.  I will now GOOGLE the 'cloud' and see what might work for my image storage.  I know-of the 'cloud,' but that is the sum total of my knowledge.  The "How-to" and "What does it offer" is my next task.  Laurin, looks like you have your work cut out for yourself.  And, here I am 'frustrated' with having merely 33,000 Kodak slides gathering dust plus a drop in the bucket with files on my hard drive compared with what you are about to do.  Laurin, you have helped more than myself...everyone who is following these posts is the wiser.  Now, I am off to GOOGLE the 'cloud.'  Thank you.  Cheers Paul

Dear Alex,

Thank you for the tip on checking my computer's capabilities in accepting whatever external storage unit works for me.  I will also have to research 'the cloud' as Laurin has discovered 'the cloud' is the latest and greatest external storage site.  Cheers, Paul

10 hours ago, Laurin Rinder said:

OK, Just so Happens i had dinner tonight with a very Famous Photographer who has a archive Of the Most famous faces ever going back 50 years, We talked for an hour about this issue and Now I feel really stupid. My 355 DVDS are useless. My HD's are out dated 10 minutes after I buy them. he said. "The cloud" is where everything is going. Im gonna have to recant everything and re-do everything. I have no problem doing it but. I have to. my Music library alone is 8 TB's  491 TV shows 37 feature Films and 49 Record Albums.

I START TOMORROW.

Maybe I am a control freak, but I am very reluctant to surrender everything to a server located "God knows where"

and then there are hackers operating out of a wooden shack in obscurity and then there are a lot of things I have absolutely no control over...and that scares me. Don't like to be dependent.

I use a couple of Mil-Spec armored portable hard drives that can withstand a lot of abuse. They have Toshiba drives inside, but I can drop them and nothing will happen to them.

and I know where they are...!

For my backup software I use Genie Timeline Pro 2017

https://nerdtechy.com/best-military-grade-rugged-external-hard-drives

1 hour ago, Rudy Umans said:

Maybe I am a control freak, but I am very reluctant to surrender everything to a server located "God knows where"

and then there are hackers operating out of a wooden shack in obscurity and then there are a lot of things I have absolutely no control over...and that scares me. Don't like to be dependent.

I use a couple of Mil-Spec armored portable hard drives that can withstand a lot of abuse. They have Toshiba drives inside, but I can drop them and nothing will happen to them.

+1. If I am not wrong, recently a China company bought over one of famous hosting website or something.   

Exactly

Your pictures, coming soon to a flea market near you.  (kidding kind of maybe)

On 3/5/2018 at 9:23 PM, cpaulfell said:

+1 - at least 2 sets. I use 3. Hard drives are cheap. I don't care if they are spinning drives and not SSD as they are not duty drives...purely backup. I also use smaller drives (2-4TB) and multiple sets. When the drive is full I get new ones for the new images.

I do the same thing. I think I just got a 6gig for $150. 

OK is it time now to mention this?

If you are going to have some box connected to your computer, RAID5 array would be best.

If you are going to make backup copies, a drive caddy is best. IMHO Surprised not one here mentioned it yet? You buy drives, plug them in, copy the files and put the drive someplace safe. You do not buy external USB drives, because that's costly. Example, stand alone device, can copy from one drive to another. You plug your 2T drive in and a 4T drive, copy all, the second 2T, copy all, put the 4T in a fireproof safe.

41ytkmoayeL._AC_US218_.jpg

You need more storage, you hop over to the local office supply place, Best Buy, Costco, Walmart... or who knows, drop $79 on the counter and take home a new, in the box, 2T desktop hard drive. Plug it in, copy all your files and you have another backup.

DVDs are basically obsolete technology, like CDs which are going to be nothing but history in a short time. DVDs are slow and unreliable, how will you play back your DVDs in ten years, without a DVD drive on any computers? :) I have enough trouble with MFM and IDE drives, that doesn't mean SATA and PATA are any better than DVDs.

I still don't trust SSD and they are expensive. That doesn't mean they aren't more reliable than a spinning disc, especially on a working computer, but for putting something in a vault? Hard drives are fine.

The Cloud. I agree with Rudy, but that's just me. I like to have control over my own work and data, not some ethereal invisible place in The Could.

Here's something that gets missed and drives new users crazy. "The cloud backup lost all my files". Guess what, no they didn't. You synced your computer with the backup and then deleted everything on your system, because, heck it was on the cloud. No it's not.

Backup maintains latest versions of everything, it takes less space, it's faster. Backup costs less. Archive copies ever new change to a new file, and saves the old. The worst that can happen is you lose the most recent version. This means larger storage and greater expense.

Anyone who understand storage like Dropbox and cloud synced storage should know that if you have all your devices connected, to all your files, that's amazing. If you delete a file from one devise it can delete that file from the cloud and all other devices. That's a synced storage. It is NOT backup or archived.

So there you are, least expensive and most secure, is redundant backups, using a drive caddy. Easiest all devise access is cloud, it's more expensive, security? Most secure while working live is a Raid5 drive array with hot swap capabilities. Pick what works best, because no one answer is the only answer. I have a nice stack of drives on the book shelf, some I haven't used for years, because larger backups of the master collection exist now.

I am not a computer "expert" don't pretend to be one, I just read and study, and the above represents my opinion based on current information.

Thanks pete for the Opinion. I tend to listen to folks who do this for a Living. When The cloud first came years ago. I did carbonite and YES. I actually Gave up after 5 Months because after all this time and 24 Hours a day it still never finished copying what I could do with HD's. But Like My friend said. CD's DVD's are a dead business so..where do I go.???? In my time with going digital full time around 1994 or so and selling a beautiful stainless steel Darkroom with 2 Enlargers and the best of the best for pennies on the dollar As nobody wanted film stuff and then Me going through 3 Imacon Scanners trying to compile a Lifes work.

Like I said many times When I crashed 2002ish , it took me Many months of 10 Hour days rebuilding My files. I have Now 390 Gold DVDs...2 sets One here and one at a friends house god Forbid. I also Have 5/3TB lacie hD's. I need advice, Money is not the issue, My legacy , my copyrights, My music,Soundtracks to 491 TV shows,37 Feature Films and 49 Record albums and many of these things I still sell as reissues including TV. A&E is redoing the show I did with leonard Nimoy 141 episodes  "In Search Of" and using the original score of which the original Tapes have turned to dust. This Music 478 published songs and My 90,000+ Images and 200+ footage clips will be inherited.Along with archival Copies of every painting I ever made. "1789" of them. So... Im asking you or anyone for advice on what and where to go to get this done. Im just a Image maker and Musician, Not a expert on archiving. And I have many friends in the same predicament. All the experts I know say the cloud is the way, others say HD's or SSD's, then others say Forget that, thats gonna be over soon also. what the hell do we do. Any advice would be great. Please and Thanks.

Even though I don't like it and I will put it off as long as I can, sooner or later I might have to bite the bullet.

Here is a comparison with the different providers that might be helpful

https://www.cloudwards.net/comparison/

There is of course also the Rolls Royce of long term digital preservation and storage: http://duracloud.org/

Their service is however $700 or so per Terra Byte  per year plus an annual subscription. So that raises the question why are they $5-10K per year and all others a few hundred, if even that?

Obvious their client list is impressive and I know they were involved with the Library of Congress at some point.

Talking about the Library of Congress, they a great source to find out about long term digital storage and this might be interesting read for everyone who scans and digitizes.

http://www.digitizationguidelines.gov/guidelines/FADGI Federal Agencies Digital Guidelines Initiative-2016 Final_rev1.pdf

59 minutes ago, Alexlky said:

Hi, this is a HDD docking system someone talk about in the early post.

yes, I know. maybe something a Bit More substantial but thanks. I have now the best from Lacie. looking to Upgrade If thats possible. i did try Online But Gave up after taking Months for Just my TiFFs. I'll keep Looking and asking pros. Thanks.

1 minute ago, Laurin Rinder said:

yes, I know. maybe something a Bit More substantial but thanks. I have now the best from Lacie. looking to Upgrade If thats possible. i did try Online But Gave up after taking Months for Just my TiFFs. I'll keep Looking and asking pros. Thanks.

His past investment was huge! Laurin. No wonder Paul looking for something highly secured to keep his treasure.  33,000 slides, I do not know price back them in North America but I guess that  it will cost more than USD200,000 all in for film processing, slide mounts and probably higher than 8K Hi-Res imaging for huge file up 250mb. 

1 hour ago, Laurin Rinder said:

Try scanning 11 x 14 negatives. I did a Lot of them.and upteem 1000's of 4 x5 2 1/4 and 35.

I haven't seeing 11 x 14 negative in real life because not yet born during the time LOL. But I know it is expensive and only for the elite. So in order to pretend to in the league......

I bought one of this neither do I expect processing and imaging will cost haft of my kidney hahaha

20180309_140631s.thumb.jpg.414d751bfd5e31881dfabb97a94ce66b.jpg

15 hours ago, Alexlky said:

Hi, this is a HDD docking system someone talk about in the early post.

Might be that I missed it, (yes Christopher) Why is it bad not to run a drive?

I only saw the raid case which is wonderful and fast. I had a server with hot swap SCSI drives that I used for editing. Actually still have two IBM servers. I think they are perfect, but very expensive. They sound like a jet taking off and pull power enough to dim the office lights. :) I don't run either anymore, great big door stops.

The caddy I have will take IDE and SATA drives, I can copy from one to the other. At some point I should copy all the IDE drives and recycle them! (to the trash. We have electronics recycling here) A second one somewhere on the shelf has two Sata slots.

14 hours ago, Laurin Rinder said:

Try scanning 11 x 14 negatives. I did a Lot of them.and upteem 1000's of 4 x5 2 1/4 and 35.

Did you work at a printing plant too? Last I saw anyone using 11x14 was for making 4 color separations.

I did and people still do Contact platinum Printing. I had to give it up due to being so toxic. I sold everything around 2006 ish. it was a Canham. I got 11K for it.Theres more folks than you think going Back to and shooting film now. It's very much alive and kicking. I shot the 20 x 24 Polaroid a few times also. That was fun.Big world out there beyond Microstock. LOL Talk about detail???Man I sold it to is the chief Photographer at the Smithsonian.About $80 per shot.

CAT 2539 D CD94  THE BIG CAMERA  0008.jpg

I used to use cloud storage (Carbonite) but ended up cancelling my subscription. For cloud storage to work one needs a reliable and fast internet connection. In my case, most of the time I do not have that luxury and so cloud storage fails miserably. Hard drives are cheap and relatively quick to transfer files. As technology changes it is very easy to adapt and update.

Smart answer. was waiting for you. Thanks. ya. Im fast Internet But I also had carbonite. 4 Months Later and 24 Hrs a day and I was half done. NO THANKS. Thanks paul. I have an enormous amount of data. so does my wife But hers is 100% text.Movie Box office reports going back 35 years.

On 3/8/2018 at 5:40 PM, Rudy Umans said:

I think it depends on the content that why the hackers would break. I think you don't have any state secrets, but who knows. :lol: I use for the example the ADATA HD710 Dash Drive Military-Spec External Hard Drive (I saw on the page which you have linked). I have to tell you I am pleased, but with all the content on this external drive I wouldn't know why is it military. Sorry, I'm not experimenting and I don't accept the denominations like this. "Military"... wow, what do I have to feel? I am powerfull, strong, unconquerable? Maximum I am a jester race who believe in the principles of manufacturers. :rolleyes:

I lost all my data for two times specifically thank to these drives. Eight years works! I use external drives even now, but I use the cloud storage too.

23 minutes ago, albingraph said:

I think it depends on the content that why the hackers would break. I think you don't have any state secrets, but who knows. :lol: I use for the example the ADATA HD710 Dash Drive Military-Spec External Hard Drive (I saw on the page which you have linked). I have to tell you I am pleased, but with all the content on this external drive I wouldn't know why is it military. Sorry, I'm not experimenting and I don't accept the denominations like this. "Military"... wow, what do I have to feel? I am powerfull, strong, unconquerable? Maximum I am a jester race who believe in the principles of manufacturers. :rolleyes:

I lost all my data for two times specifically thank to these drives. Eight years works! I use external drives even now, but I use the cloud storage too.

Here's guide to help to explain what is regulatory standardize certification worldwide. Paul the crackerjack should be an expert in this field.

ASTM stand for American Society for Testing and Materials. British standard short for BS. JIS is Japanese Industrial Standards. The oil you pour into your car first word SAE stand for Society of Automotive Engineers. The grease for your car wheel bearing carries specification NLGI stand for National Lubricating Grease Institute. These are all governising bodies to define the quality or else grease might be sold as butter. 

Military-Spec fall under the standardization MIL-STD-961. Military specs and military standard (MIL-STD-962) are two difference standard of manufacturing you don't get confuse yourself. Military-Spec means a consumer product modified for military used. They are the same thing just with additional protection. Hope this may help.  

7 hours ago, Alexlky said:

Here's guide to help to explain what is regulatory standardize certification worldwide. Paul the crackerjack should be an expert in this field.

ASTM stand for American Society for Testing and Materials. British standard short for BS. JIS is Japanese Industrial Standards. The oil you pour into your car first word SAE stand for Society of Automotive Engineers. The grease for your car wheel bearing carries specification NLGI stand for National Lubricating Grease Institute. These are all governising bodies to define the quality or else grease might be sold as butter. 

Military-Spec fall under the standardization MIL-STD-961. Military specs and military standard (MIL-STD-962) are two difference standard of manufacturing you don't get confuse yourself. Military-Spec means a consumer product modified for military used. They are the same thing just with additional protection. Hope this may help.  

All true except some Mil-Specs are BS (and I don't mean British Standards) Lets say hypothetically a specific grade of Loctite is approved for a bolt on something. The manufacturer or different companies making the same part or product for the government have to use that specified product, not an equivalent. Just like lobbyists some companies get their products written into Mil-Specs which means standardized parts, components and predictable quality in the end.

In most ways, a Mil-Spec assures component quality, in other ways it can limit competition. Something as minor as a color, can mean a product doesn't meet the Mil-Specs.

Back to our hard drives meeting Mil-Specs, it means they have a predicted life in durability and hours and who knows what else, might be the case cover has to be a specific formulation of stainless steel or the screws are a particular hardness Rockwell, what head dimension, or a grade. In general it means some government engineer reviewed all the specs for the drive (or wrote them!) and documented what they had to be, meet, or exceed, before a hard drive can be labeled with meeting that Spec. number.

I have a 4 bay hard drive enclosure which holds 4 x 5TB hard drives, I have it set up as jbod not raid and I use it for working on files (fast disks), I use picasa as a media library as I can see everything as though it's on one disk and drag files to PS.. 

Everything is backed up on to other external drives and to another pc. I'd love to upload raw files to cloud or server space but it's way too expensive and slow.

1 hour ago, mandritoiu said:

This why I recommended to go for Enterprise Grade HDDs.

It's not about how well an HDD can resist to shocks, bombs and blasts, but rather what is their MTBF (mean time between failures) in a peaceful environment, like a home or an office ;)

yes, but a MIL-Spec casing could extend the MTFB with another 100.000 hours due to decreased risk of user error (like a drop or your cup of coffee):) The biggest enemy of any hard drive is sudden shocks.

Risk management is a process of elimination