Sign in to follow this  
Mike Kuhlman

GoPro Hero 6

Any users?

I was going to get the DJI Osmo gimbal-stablized camera system for nice smooth dolly shots (which requires a phone and an app to run properly), but I just saw the image-stabilization on this thing, and it is so smooth, I won't have to! 

Built-in viewfinder (unlike the Osmo), zoom modes in 1080p, much improved low-light performance, wow...

14 hours ago, Mike Kuhlman said:

Any users?

I was going to get the DJI Osmo gimbal-stablized camera system for nice smooth dolly shots (which requires a phone and an app to run properly), but I just saw the image-stabilization on this thing, and it is so smooth, I won't have to! 

Built-in viewfinder (unlike the Osmo), zoom modes in 1080p, much improved low-light performance, wow...

I used only the hero4 black and that was an awesome camera! Sold it because I realized it was just sitting on the shelf for most of the time.
But now I am considering Hero 6. Even if the image quality isn't better than the Hero4, it surely isn't worse - and hero4 was already a great camera! Plus all the benefits you get, like amazing stabilization (although it crops your frame a bit...), more framerate options, touch lcd screen - amazing stuff.
Even though I don't do (extreme) sports, it can also be a great camera for travel (ultra-wide-angle to accompany your standard lens), as well as those situations where you just can't fit your regular camera :)

Here's an image quality comparison between the Hero 6 and the Hero 5:

As far as the crop on image stabilization, it ain't much, and the GoPro shoots in such a fisheye view in its widest-angle setting anyway that a little crop cuts down on the fishbowl effect.

I shoot weddings and am planning to use the Hero 6 as my second insert reactions dolly and crane camera.  I'm planning to shoot at a slightly higher resolution than 1080 with the Hero 6, then crop the image down to 1080 with my editing program's warp stabilizer for TOTALLY smooth, stabilized shots.

I used a GoPro for a few shots of dancing at a wedding reception last year. It was pretty effective. Unfortunately, I had to use stabilisation software with 1080p footage (shot with the Panasonic G6) so I had to accept a little drop in quality here and there. Yea it would be good to be able to shoot in 4k to counter this (I just need a 4k camera!)

I just did a quick calculation... Only on ShutterStock, all gopro (hero4) clips which have sold so far, more than paid off the cost of camera. Not mentioning images nor other place(s) my clips sold at, plus I also sold the camera itself, so I can't say it was a bad investment :D

Well, I just convinced myself it's a good idea to buy the Hero 6 :D:D:D

3 hours ago, urbazon said:

I just did a quick calculation... Only on ShutterStock, all gopro (hero4) clips which have sold so far, more than paid off the cost of camera. Not mentioning images nor other place(s) my clips sold at, plus I also sold the camera itself, so I can't say it was a bad investment :D

Well, I just convinced myself it's a good idea to buy the Hero 6 :D:D:D

GoPro for stock yes!  Those slow-mo action shots sell really well as stock?

1 hour ago, Mike Kuhlman said:

GoPro for stock yes!  Those slow-mo action shots sell really well as stock?

To be honest, I am completely clumsy and non-sporty type :D So I don't do action/extreme sports, but I've used the gopro here-and-there where it was suitable, and some shots got sold :)

I don't know if it's appropriate to link my own files here, but here are some examples:
https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-13372862-stock-footage-underwater-footage-of-two-girls-swimming-above-the-camera-with-the-sun-seen-in-background.html?src=gallery/kvHXda2THRfetsBpy6-Bcg:2:90/3p
https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-25284308-stock-footage-slow-motion-close-up-footage-of-a-sea-wave-splashing-the-camera-or-spectator-directly.html?src=gallery/kvHXda2THRfetsBpy6-Bcg:1:11
https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-25454540-stock-footage-slow-motion-underwater-footage-of-sea-or-ocean-bottom-or-depths-ideal-for-use-as-background-blue.html?src=gallery/kvHXda2THRfetsBpy6-Bcg:1:76

These types of shots... :)
Аlthough, the size of these cameras allow all kinds of creative shots...

1 hour ago, Kim Christensen said:

I just hope they improved the noise problem. I can get HD video footage made with the Hero 5 accepted on SS, but stills get rejected for noise even under good light conditions and with lowest ISO settings. It should be able to do better.

That doesn't sound right...

I've uploaded GoPro Hero 4 Black stills successfully in the past. Or maybe Hero 5 has worse quality?

I treated myself to a hero 6 black this week actually, and super happy so far. My last gopro was the 3 black, so that was forever ago.
the 6 shoots raw stills which is amazing for me.  
haven't seriously tested the video out yet, but i like all the framerate and resolution options, and not having to scroll a bunch of screens to get there, touch screen for the win. 

i did have issues with pairing to my phone. of course, trying it out to pair at home went smooth, and then when I am trying to use it on-site to pair it - no such luck, i had to set it to time-lapse photo and then "spray and pray" that i caught the angle i needed. lol. 

if they make an updated dedicated remote like they bundled with my hero 3, i'd buy that instead of using through your phone. 

i used to use the 3 black for video at weddings and then it eventually got replaced with other cameras in my kit, but the 6 will come with me to some weddings this year for sure. 

It seems like a brilliant second/FX camera for weddings.  Between the low-light performance, the image stabilization and the slow-mo...

Question, Kim:  Is the noise there even at the lowest ISO?  Anyway, that was the Hero 5.  I hear the Hero 6 exhibits much lower noise even at relatively high ISOs like 4000.

Question, Chris:  Why the NEED for a phone?

7 hours ago, Mike Kuhlman said:

Question, Chris:  Why the NEED for a phone?

whenever I am not able to fly my drone for a real estate shoot, I'll supplement with a gopro on a pole and get at least a somewhat elevated perspective, so I like to put the camera up high, trigger it. move to next location, trigger it, etc.  without being able to trigger manually from 20 ft below, I have to put it onto time lapse mode so it's just constantly taking pictures while its up, so i have way more culling to do than I'd like.