Alexander N

Problem with uploading seamless patterns

Hi everyone,

I have searched a lot through the website but still couldn't find a proper guide how to meet Shutterstock's requirements for uploading seamless patterns.

I'm not new in Illustrator and know how to create and use seamless patterns :) I understand that all objects and fills have to be expanded, unlocked, strokes and text outlined etc. However, none of my submittions were aproved because of the reason “Inaccessible Vector Objects -- All sublayers must be unlocked and all effects must be expanded”. Checked everything several times – all objects inside patterns are expanded, no texts and strokes. Then read at Shutterstock's vector graphics guide that you need to expand shapes with applied pattern fills before uploading. I understood that in this case the patterns will stop being seamless but tried to follow the guide and upload. And, of course, got another rejection for an expected reason “Not a Seamless Design – Design is not seamless. Please remove 'seamless' from title and/or keywords”. D'oh!

Here's a short screencast in the attachment.

I'm extremely confused how to meet Shutterstock's requirement regarding seamless patterns. I hope somebody can help me to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thank you in advance! :) 

Best regards,
Alex

2018-02-05_16-58-58.mp4

This isn't an error from an inspector, but a bot. 
You indeed need to expand all seamless patterns, no matter what kind of shape you filled with them, but as soon as those shapes aren't multiples of your pattern, the bot doesn't recognize them as seamless ones anymore, even though the user can still ungroup them and use the tiles. Happened to me, too. You can either choose multiples of your tile (squares or rectangles) or remove "seamless" from the title and keywords - and then edit them later on. It's silly, I know, but their AI doesn't seem to be able to learn that.

12 hours ago, AKaiser said:

This isn't an error from an inspector, but a bot. 
You indeed need to expand all seamless patterns, no matter what kind of shape you filled with them, but as soon as those shapes aren't multiples of your pattern, the bot doesn't recognize them as seamless ones anymore, even though the user can still ungroup them and use the tiles. Happened to me, too. You can either choose multiples of your tile (squares or rectangles) or remove "seamless" from the title and keywords - and then edit them later on. It's silly, I know, but their AI doesn't seem to be able to learn that.

Interesting explanation Anja.

But I can say that these last montyhs I have got several rejections of this kind for files which were technically in rule, and after a simple reupload they pass the review with no more problem.
For this I thing that there is also some incompetent inspector drinking beers, smoking joints and sleeping here ;)

9 hours ago, Maxal Tamor said:

Interesting explanation Anja.

But I can say that these last montyhs I have got several rejections of this kind for files which were technically in rule, and after a simple reupload they pass the review with no more problem.
For this I thing that there is also some incompetent inspector drinking beers, smoking joints and sleeping here ;)

Maybe only the first inspection is done by a bot and if you re-submit (and mark as re-submission?) the image goes to a human inspector instead? (I mean, in this special case it's pretty simple to find out, whether or not a pattern is tiling. At least for a human. Just draw a shape and fill it - doesn't take more than a second and certainly not longer than hitting the "reject" button.) I didn't try that with mine, I simply re-uploaded it without "seamless" in the description and keywords. And this isn't the first time this happened to someone - there was already a thread on exactly the same issue. Seems to be something general now. One thing at least is for sure: You need to expand the pattern. Has always been like that, because (I think) unexpanded patterns can cause problems in programs other than Illustrator, even if the pattern is saved to the patterns palette. The "not seamless" rejection's for actually seamless ones is rather new, though. But there are another couple of, say "hints", that the first review is done by a machine - e.g. if there's something in an image, which could *potentially* be a trademark (even if it's a short sample text instead) the review time's significantly longer. That's why I think there's kind of a superficial automated check and if it comes up with an uncertain result or a potential issue, it gets passed over to a real human being. Just a theory, of course. :)

Hi Alexander: Neat video. Something else to check ... SS requires the pattern be visibly seamless to buyers from looking at the preview image. So make sure the entire pattern is shown in the preview and not just a portion of it stacked on other seamless patterns, even if they'll all be seamless when clipping paths are released or when unstacked. The pattern shown at the beginning of your video would be rejected as not seamless (even though it IS a seamless pattern in the swatch palette) because it doesn't appear seamless to buyers looking at it. It would also be rejected, as you note, for not being expanded. Make sure all vectors, even for shadows and effects, are expanded and selectable. Then do a "select all" to ensure there aren't any stray vectors on the pasteboard. Then actually duplicate this "select all" selection and snap it to an edge of the original. Zoom in to see if the pattern is joining up at the seams and is truly seamless. (My guess is that this is what SS will do.) Since some folks buy these with no vector editing knowledge, they have to be perfect so when they are automatically tiled there is no gap. Even one tiny point extending outside of the pattern will cause a gap when tiled. Good luck! :)

Hi guys and girls,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions!
At first I'll probably try to check everything again and resubmit patterns, with hope to get a review by human. I'm really curious why such rejections happened :) If this won't work than I'll try other way to solve this issue.

Again, thank you all! I'm new here, and I love this community. I appreciate your help so much :)

Hello, I am new here. Regarding vector patterns (seamless or not), I would like to upload mine neatly packaged as a pack of 6. May I know how to do that? How to add a cover page showing all 6 patterns? Thank you!

Hi FoundX: Your single preview image must exactly match the single vector file you submit. SS doesn't sell groups of multiple files to my knowledge, so there isn't really a cover page for a pack. Apologies if I've misunderstood. If the patterns aren't seamless, you may arrange them (all six on a single page) however you'd like. If seamless, just make sure each full pattern is entirely visible so a buyer can see they are all truly seamless. Just place all six patterns on one page as noted above and you'll be fine. Or you can submit each individually with its own preview image. Or both - individually AND as a collection of six on one page. Good luck. :)