FocusBreatheShoot

Any guys here use the Sony RX100 V?

4 hours ago, FocusBreatheShoot said:

Howdy all,

I'm looking into possibly getting a compact for travel purposes. I keep coming back to the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 V. 

Good for stock? Any issues with it etc?

I had one of those until my wife clamed it while traveling in South Africa this past July. Amazing little camera. 

My next purchase will probably be the DSC-RX10M4 and hopefully I will get to use that one a short while ;)

Great little camera!  One of the only "pocketable" cameras with an electronic viewfiender, so you don't have to fight with glare on sunny days.  Super sharp Zeiss lens.  Great camera to take skiing.  I would recommend buying the optional (stick on) grip, as camera is so small it would be easy to drop.  A neck strap is also handy when on chair lift and your hands are cold:

Panoramic view of the Sierra Nevada Mountains, with Lake Tahoe in the background, from the top of the Squaw Valley Ski Resort, between Truckee and Tahoe City, on a partly cloudy winter day in December

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/panoramic-view-sierra-nevada-mountains-lake-783851707?src=6QwA6ZOWP1UOlDIWrAzSSQ-1-21

An early morning aerial view of the ski slopes at the, in the Sierra Nevada Mountains near Lake Tahoe, home of the Winter Olympics in 1960.

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/early-morning-aerial-view-ski-slopes-783854611?src=uQdRA98j59rUqW4jg9P6dQ-1-29

my advice for you is to go mirrorless, I use a Sony a7R for my photos (travel and stock) and I couldn't be any more happier with it, yes its the first model and its a little dated but If you have the chance I would definitely go that way. your images will look better and you will have more flexibility in post. 

I also have the RX100 V - excellent camera, very sharp lens, I've had no problems at all.

Keep it safe though, it feels a little delicate - an EOS 1D it ain't!

Definitely get a grip for it. I bought this one, I can't imagine using it without.

Haoge HG-RX100 Skidproof Camera Bracket Holder - currently out of stock where I bought it but you get the idea.

Gary

On 12/7/2018 at 6:02 AM, Powerhouse Productions said:

The RX100 VI is pretty good for a sub-$1,200 camera.  Here is some footage I shot on it.

Wonderful footage!

I had the RX100 ever since it came out, and upgraded to the Mark V this summer - mostly because of the electronic viewfinder, which is a lifesaver in bright conditions. Amazing little camera, I totally love it. Good enough for stock? You bet. All the pictures in my port that are 16:9 ratio are shot with it, and they do sell. And the camera itself literally fits into my jeans pocket. For the size, you can't beat it.

I have not seen this camera other than on the web but it looks tiny! Looks like it would be a real contender as a "keep it with me all the time" camera. I think I need to go look at one and also get hold of a few RAW files to see if I will be happy with the quality.

Hi everybody.
I had a RX100 IV and it was fine, but too small and quite fragile. I had a Canon D5 MKII but at 69, got too heavy, finally I bought a Canon G1X Mark III, and it's great, and more than enough for the stock, the first two pages of my folio (content updated) were fired with the G1X MarkIII

Don't care about the camera peter. GREAT  Video work and Music. when it comes together Like that. Im so proud to be in this with folks like you.You know how to tell stories.Wonderful Talent. It ain't the camera with you.

43 minutes ago, Laurin Rinder said:

Don't care about the camera peter. GREAT  Video work and Music. when it comes together Like that. Im so proud to be in this with folks like you.You know how to tell stories.Wonderful Talent. It ain't the camera with you.

Many thanks Laurin. Much appreciated.

On 12/7/2018 at 7:02 AM, Powerhouse Productions said:

The RX100 VI is pretty good for a sub-$1,200 pocket camera.  Here is some footage I shot on it.

This is stunning work! You are inspiring me to do more video as well, thanks for sharing!

28 minutes ago, Rudi Venter said:

This is stunning work! You are inspiring me to do more video as well, thanks for sharing!

Thanks Rudi,  I'm pretty brutal on my own work.  I try to only upload the best shots; sometimes they are a bit ordinary, but I really liked shooting with the RX100.  I never stop learning!

8 minutes ago, Powerhouse Productions said:

Thanks Rudi,  I'm pretty brutal on my own work.  I try to only upload the best shots; sometimes they are a bit ordinary, but I really liked shooting with the RX100.  I never stop learning!

Well, the clip above is stunning. It shows what can be done, it also shows that the RX100 is capable of producing really nice output. I am primary a stills photographer and will most likely remain so but often I encounter situations where a video clip would do it more justice so my plan is to have a second camera/body around for those situations. The RX100 seems a good options because it is so tiny it would not be a problem even when hiking to take it along. I suppose the other option would be to simply use my main camera to shoot video as well. Might make more sense but hey, I am always looking for an excuse to get a new toy!

Think I will try the cameras I have and compare quality, then the learning curve for the "operator" can start!

We must never stop learning....