Sony RX10 MK 4 Images

780314701.jpg780314695.jpg

Here are a couple of images I took today with my new Sony RX10 MK 4. In my port the last 15 or so images were also taken today and all accepted. This is a great camera for editorial work as can be seen in the first image fully zoomed in 600 from a long way away. Coming from the full frame D750 I have been used to virtually no noise. This M4/3 sensor produces noise at iso 400 but cleans up reasonably well. 4K video is why I got this camera and took a test clip which was excellent. So far very happy.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, sugitas said:

Waiting for more sample images and review regarding this camera. Planning to buy this looking at its versatility. Just wanted to know more about the image quality it produces as compared to D750.

Well the jpegs that come out of this camera are simply amazing. I also have the Nikon D750 and all the lenses which I will be keeping. I got this camera as a video camera but for street / travel and general use the images are fantastic for stock right out the camera. 600mm at F4 I haven’t tried yet. The menu system and handling is not as easy as the Nikon. I got a good wrist strap for it and you can go anywhere. I used to shoot raw with my D750 and Tamron 24 - 70 for stock. I am leaving the Nikon at home more often. I would say the images are really only useable for stock upto iso 800 out of the camera. But the AF phase detection and all the toys for video are amazing. This is not a studio camera or when the light falls

Alright, Laurin, here you go.   Hand held at 600 mm with my RX10 MK4 at 100% crop.   I would have posted sooner but I couldn't figure out how to do a "100% crop" in Lightroom.  When you view at 1:1, which is 100%, you can't use the crop function, and when you're in the crop function, you can't zoom at 1:1.   There's a lot of confusion about 100% crop on the wild and woolly web, but I found one explanation that make lots of sense: "any crop from Lightroom is a 100% crop as long as you don't resize it during export".   

I already cropped this shot a good bit before submitting to SS, but the 100% crop below was from the original full-size image.

A Black Oystercatcher sits on a bed of mussels on the rocky shore along the Pacific Coast in Carmel by the Sea in California.

SNY01816-3.jpg.858f1cb6bc153ac74dc3c7fdc1e3a0cc.jpg

14 minutes ago, Laurin Rinder said:

could be sharper Dave. 

I'm sure that's true, but at what price?  And weight?  Not to mention the convenience of not changing lenses.  It's a trade off. 

21 minutes ago, Laurin Rinder said:

The Important thing is what was the shutter speed. you can use any lens if fast shutter. Just saying.

I don't have the steadiest of hands, so yes, I go with a fast shutter.  At 600 mm, wide open is f4 and this was taken at 1/2000 (ISO 320).

10 hours ago, martin bowra said:

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/full-blue-moon-1014451489?src=AwU7PIaOqvjL4if-XqzNgw-1-0

I took this last night hand held at 1200mm clear view zoom. Accepted this morning here and at other agencies. No point in 100% crop here I am very impressed with this Sony.

Great shot Martin, you were lucky to witness such a rare phenomena.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Rudra Narayan Mitra said:

How to get a still image from a 4K footage ?

Regards,

Rudra

-can use Mpeg streamclip which is free software and use the "export frame" function. 

-can also use screenshot hotkey on a video which is filling your screen if your monitor is displaying at 4k resolution.  But that takes the image, processes it for your monitor to be displayed, and then the screenshot you take is with your monitor color profile, so it's not super reliable always.   I'd assume the same for windows screenshots. 

1 hour ago, Christopher Gardiner said:

-can use Mpeg streamclip which is free software and use the "export frame" function. 

-can also use screenshot hotkey on a video which is filling your screen if your monitor is displaying at 4k resolution.  But that takes the image, processes it for your monitor to be displayed, and then the screenshot you take is with your monitor color profile, so it's not super reliable always.   I'd assume the same for windows screenshots. 

Thank you so much !

Regards,

Rudra

20 hours ago, Rudra Narayan Mitra said:

How to get a still image from a 4K footage ?

Regards,

Rudra

In the end after a lot of searching and testing video editing software both free and trial I have ended up buying Adobe premiere elements 2018 for 100USD it does everything I need and a lot more and very easy to learn. The 4k image above is so easy to do. Also you can easily setup a custom export for photojpeg or any other codec that agencies ask for.