Alex Shutterstock

Launching a new Premier Editorial tab on Shutterstock.com

Today, we are happy to share that we will begin showcasing our Premier Editorial content on Shutterstock.com. Before today, this content has only been accessible through the Shutterstock Premier website. The new editorial tab will include our historic Rex collection, images from strategic partners, including AP, BFA, epa, and live coverage of breaking news, entertainment and sports events.  

Our Premier Editorial collection will continue to be available only for Premier customer licensing. Editorial content that you submit to Shutterstock will continue to be available for all customers to license on Shutterstock.com.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us.

Thank you,

Alex

The existence of a "premiere" site might explain the crap that has been added to this site lately.  Trying to drive buyers to the more expensive area by mucking the regular one up.

The above theory would not make much sense. I don't see any reason why a growing company would do suicide. 

I don't think "crap" is uploaded. Images are not sold for 100 dollars per piece in general. Also I learned that everything can sell. Even a "stupid" Scooby doo ball on grass or a dirty balloon on the floor. If I would not have uploaded this "crap" Scooby Doo ball I would miss a sale of 2.90 and several subs. All editorial sales. Also assuming that own images are better by saying that many others are crap is not the way to go. 

Shutterstock is open for everyone that is interested. Just make sure that keywording is done right and the right images go to right customers. This is the real problem. Spam and wrong keywords.

I just searched for "house" or "car". I dont see any "crap" coming up. Especially not for the low prices. 

I for sure am not afraid to upload stuff that are already done zillion times. When I am in my neighbourhood that nobody knows I anyway shoot and upload everything. You really never know. Thats why it is stock. 

Mirco

20 hours ago, Alex Shutterstock said:

Our Premier Editorial collection will continue to be available only for Premier customer licensing

What I don't get is why move these Premier Editorial files onto main shutterstock.com, but they only remain available to Premier customers - the only reason I can see is to increase the main ss.com image count. If uploads have been slowing down whilst the new upload page is "problematic", this would be a way to massively inflate the numbers back up to demonstrate continued/sustained growth in the numbers. Unless the plan is to make them available for viewing or "showcasing" as Alex said, on ss.com so if customers want to purchase they have to sign up to SS Premier, thereby hoping to show a massive increase in new sign ups to SS Premier and also sell the file at the higher SS Premier price tag?

Mmmm...thinking about it, that probably seems more likely as they can then demonstrate the SS Premier site as a success due to new sign ups.

15 hours ago, Darla Hallmark said:

The existence of a "premiere" site might explain the crap that has been added to this site lately.  Trying to drive buyers to the more expensive area by mucking the regular one up.

They're dividing the market into different segments in order to compete with both "cheap" and more "artistic" agencies on all levels. Their big competitor does exactly the same. New artists of "worldwide renown" get directly acquired while "we" (= the folks who helped building the original sites in the first place) are supposed to stay where we are. (Some of them offering the exact styles/looks and topics we used to be rejected for, because they were considered "too artsy".) In the nearer future buyers probably won't pay for imagery anymore - but they will for service and additional values like a well working search or being supported by whatever kind of AI. That's where they all see their future. Time to bring customers from A to B now, I guess. AS (former FT) and the "Premier Collection" get promoted through the same site as well.
BTW, I only heard about Premier a couple of months ago, too, although I'm an "older member". 

I'm an artist of "worldwide renown".   I don't blame Shutterstock for not knowing that, though, since they don't allow my most popular subject matter.

Or do they?  I think I need to check the portfolio.  Maybe their standards have changed, and I can upload my more artistic images...No, I'm sure it's even more of a hassle than it used to be to upload hand drawn or painted illustrations.  I quit submitting them when Shutterstock demanded an individual release for each one, with the image pinned to it.  Can you imagine having to have a separate release for each image of the same model? 

Edited to add:  Holy cow!  There are penises in Shutterstock!

If I remember correctly we received a newsletter with the videos I linked above, that's how many of us knew about the existence of this platform but that is all.

It was always a secret for "we (= the folks who helped building the original sites in the first place) " how the site works, even now, you have to contact SS directly if you want details.

That is why I don't understand this announcement, unless it will be open for everyone, which I doubt.

Anyway, it means serious competition, IMO.

7 minutes ago, Whiteaster said:

..., you have to contact SS directly if you want details.

I even tried to. ;) But apparently they checked my name and found out that I'm a contributor on here. The only thing they told me was "we recommend Offset instead" - then I never heard back. Although I'm actually a buyer, too.

15 hours ago, Darla Hallmark said:

I agree Darla. and...those who don't see the crap? well, Not much to say about that. I do Know "From Experience" the Ones that "REALLY" do well..."REALLY" do well know what "Making a difference" and "Being Unique"  really mean and those folks who disagree Usually Have no clue about the real world of doing Photography as a occupation. Theres a High road and a Low Road.....I believe the good ones can do both and  know the difference.......VERY WELL....VERY WELL.

And 1,000,000 % agree about having to do a embedded release along with artwork. I've had to do it 1804 Times Just for SS.....WHY? is the question and I'll bet No one can tell me. And Images on Offset.? dont get me started. Way to trendy, 2 year old food work. sorry..... Kinda Like shooting Fashion and using a Instagram filter ....and...what happened to the Upload issues thread? swept under the rented Rug.? One more Post , then 54,000 and gone back to private for awhile. to depressing here.

5 minutes ago, AKaiser said:

I even tried to. ;) But apparently they checked my name and found out that I'm a contributor on here. The only thing they told me was "we recommend Offset instead" - then I never heard back. Although I'm actually a buyer, too.

Yes, that is the first question they ask but the next form is clearly addressed to companies. I never understood all the secrecy going on at SS.

7 minutes ago, Whiteaster said:

Yes, that is the first question they ask but the next form is clearly addressed to companies. I never understood all the secrecy going on at SS.

I don't either! I do graphic design for clients, but we also run a publishing company (print magazines) with several employees here. Apparently still too small for "Premier". No need to send replies anywhere between a bad joke and an insult, nevertheless. And why the heck should we be interested in their offer, if we're not even allowed to have a glance at their contents (except Offset)?! Never mind ... we buy our stuff elsewhere now.

Shutterstock Premier access is for customers who have large teams with enterprise level usage. Check out these articles to learn more about the Premier Platform and the Premier license. 

As a Shutterstock contributor, your content is already available to Premier clients if you have opted into both Enhanced License and Sensitive Use. This includes your Shutterstock editorial content, which will appear on the Image tab, rather than on this new Premier Editorial tab.

Regarding our Premier Editorial offering, photographers who contribute to the Premier Editorial collection have been selected by the assignment team based on their prior work in the news, sport and entertainment industry. While we are not currently accepting applications, we do evaluate contributors on shutterstock.com and in the past we have selected contributors to be a part of our Premier Editorial team.