Sign in to follow this  
Susan Bell Photography

Beginner video editing software?

I use Cyberlink Power Director 15 Ultra for PC, available from Amazon for I believe about $75 now.  The PRICE is "beginner", but let me tell you, this software is very powerful!  I see no need to upgrade to Premiere Pro or any of the more "advanced" software on the market!  This software does just about EVERYTHING an editor could want and handles a variety of video formats, including AVCHD, 4K, even 360 VR and Mac-based MOV files, effortlessly.

The instruction manual for PD is limited, so your son will have to rely on Youtube tutorials, which are easy to understand, they'll show him exactly what to do to make whatever he wants happen.

There is a newer PD 16 Ultimate for I believe $129 from Amazon that is bundled with more advanced audio editing functions and some other stuff, but he might not need all that to get started.

Best!

Adobe charges a monthly subscription fee for Premiere, of $19.95 I believe (it might be less if your son is a student; you can get the student discount), to get "live updates".  You can disable the automatic monthly charge and still use Premiere, but it's probably a complicated procedure to get Adobe to stop automatically drafting your bank account or charging your credit card.  This is why I went with PD.