Darla Hallmark

Foundstock is back up: I'm out

12 hours ago, AKaiser said:

And *that's* IMO one of the worst problems we might be facing in the nearer future: When I started doing stock in 2008 you could easily spot at a single glance whether or not a site was a warez site. Today instead, those and e.g. sites (legally) reselling imagery through the API almost look the same. Ok, a newspaper guy really should get himself informed about what exactly he's using, but less experienced customers running into an illegal site actually could *believe* it's a free offer - especially as there are a lot of legal free sites with valuable contents out there as by now. 

About what SS does: They most efficiently fight copyright violations according to this article https://www.builtinnyc.com/2017/11/27/shutterstock-engineers-spotlight?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=organic_social&utm_campaign=community&utm_term=article&utm_content=nyc

quote: "One of our big projects was changing the watermarks on our database of 151 million images. With all of the advancements in machine learning, it was becoming possible for a computer to remove repetitive watermarks and, in turn, infringe copyright. The team found a solution: use a slightly different watermark on each image. We began rolling it out to our whole library."

Apparently. NOT. 

Exactly. What amazes me is that the software people here didn't research the problem properly before  implementing their (expensive) solution which was not a solution at all. It seems that they imagined there was some software that 'photoshopped out' the standard watermark whilst contributors had already said that this was a problem with a hacked code providing SS images to Facebook.

Bigstock still seems secure, even though it is owned by Shutterstock.

Google will help you find others. 

1 hour ago, Marbury said:

If I remove some photos from SS would they not be able to download from Foundstock as they seem to link to SS for the download ?

All you have to do is go to your account settings and opt out of image sales.  That will take your photos out of circulation, and you can re-activate them once Shutterstock gets a grip on this.

8 minutes ago, Brian Kapp said:

I am a "little guy", newbie, but, what other site(s) would you recommed instead of SS.  That is not meant in the sense if defending SS.  It is just a question.

Bigstock still seems secure, even though they are owned by Shutterstock.

You could ask this on microstockforum, since it's independent.  It would be rude to talk about other sites on SS's own forum.

we are talking about security...first of all this forum must be available ONLY to contributors!!!! Hackers reading what are we talking about HERE and they plan their next steps!!! Really dont understand why this forum is opened to everybody from the time that threads matters contributors and not buyers.

56 minutes ago, Darla Hallmark said:

Bigstock still seems secure, even though they are owned by Shutterstock.

You could ask this on microstockforum, since it's independent.  It would be rude to talk about other sites on SS's own forum.

Hmm, thank you for that reply. I will think on that.

1 hour ago, Marbury said:

So legally are SS responsible for compensating us due to neglect of security ?

The burden of proof is with you. So you would have to proof neglect. Meaning that SS willingly and knowingly neglects to provide and implement reasonable security measures for their main site, their affiliates, and their partner sites. (SS does not provide an "opt out" option for these sites, so they are included in their responsibilities)

I got this:

Thank you for writing in.

Shutterstock aggressively enforces the intellectual property rights of its community of contributors and does not tolerate infringement or piracy of any kind. We investigate every claim of infringement of Shutterstock's or its contributors' intellectual property rights and take appropriate steps, including the institution of legal action.

We are aware of this website. However, we cannot provide specific details about our enforcement efforts. Please know that Shutterstock's anti-piracy efforts are ongoing and we appreciate the input and patience of our contributors as we work to combat this global issue.

Best Regards,
Carl
Shutterstock Compliance

5 hours ago, Haris vythoulkas said:

we are talking about security...first of all this forum must be available ONLY to contributors!!!! Hackers reading what are we talking about HERE and they plan their next steps!!! Really dont understand why this forum is opened to everybody from the time that threads matters contributors and not buyers.

A hacker can be a contributor