David Bokuchava

Show the best animals / wildlife images from your portfolio!

They say luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity, but I was feeling pretty lucky when I drove past our local park and saw an orange spot in the distance.  Sure enough, the bobcat was back!  Good thing I had my camera with me (like I always do). It was sitting next to a gopher hole stalking its prey.  I was afraid that if I walked straight towards it that it would spook, so instead I made a zig zag approach, walking past it several times until I got closer and closer.  Surprisingly, it let me get pretty close.  I took these shots with my Sony Rx 10 M4 hand-held at 600 mm.  For most of the time, my camera was covering my face.  When I inadvertently lowered the camera for a brief moment, kitty looked me directly in the eyes and then darted away.  But not before I got all 20 MP on his rear end as he exited into the brush.

A wild Bobcat (Lynx rufus) hunts for its next meal near a gopher hole, at a local park in the hills of Monterey, California.

A wild Bobcat (Lynx rufus) retreats toward the brush as it runs across the lawn of a neighborhood park where it was hunting for gophers, in the hills of Monterey, California.

As I drove away from the park, there he was again, near the exit,  stalking a ground squirrel.  I took this one from the side of the road out my driver's side window.  

A wild Bobcat (Lynx rufus) hunts for its next meal near a gopher hole, at a local park in the hills of Monterey, California.

A few days later, the neighborhood coyote was in nearly the same location, going for the same gophers!

A wild coyote (Canis latrans) attempts to catch a gopher deep in its hole, in a neighborhood park in the hills of Monterey, California.

A wild coyote (Canis latrans) attempts to catch a gopher deep in its hole, in a neighborhood park in the hills of Monterey, California.

Reminded me of an older shot of my Labrador retriever a couple of years ago, lol.  

A dog (yellow Labrador Retriever (lab), burying (buries) head in sand, after chasing a ground squirrel into a hole, in the hills of Monterey, California, USA.

32 minutes ago, Simone Hogan said:

Love your bobcat shots! Although the cat looks somewhat displeased at having the hunt interrupted, lol.  @David Litman 

Thanks Simone!  There's no shortage of open space where I live, but some of the critters seem to prefer the pickings near us humans!  Hopefully she didn't go hungry that night.

15 hours ago, paula french said:

Not my best - but certainly my luckiest - A Pangolin - an amazing looking dinosaur looking animal. 

One I'll probably never see again!

Critically endangered Pangolin walking in the bush- Scientific name Manis - it was sighted in the african bush in Hwange National Park, Zimbabwe.  These are most traffiked animal in the world

I am sooooooo jealous. Awesome shot and sighting!!!

1 minute ago, cpaulfell said:

I am sooooooo jealous. Awesome shot and sighting!!!

Thank you Paul - we had an American couple on our safari - 1st timers - they didn't realise how lucky there were and didn't know what a pangolin was  - they also witnessed 2 kills in a different camp - talk about lucky!!