Ildiko Szabo

Pinterest Cross-promotion / Contribute for more exposure

Hi Everyone!

I read through some posts about lack of sales and decreasing income.....some of us are really sad and demotivated.  I'm considerably new on SS and only sold $12....so I'm no expert here! BUT. 

I love Pinterest and I think it has potential in promoting artwork. A while back when I was blogging, my best infographic went viral. It was repinned 10K+ in just 4 months!!! The reach of that is just huge. And all I did was: pin it in some groups. Simple. 

SO. I made a group board: Best of Shutterstock coz I think it could really work with stock images too. But for it to work I need you guys. The more the merrier!

If you have a Pinterest account or you gonna make one: You are welcome to join! I believe we can help each other.

Just follow my Best of Shutterstock board and I will send you an invitation to be a contributor!

(I'm no affiliate of Pinterest nor get paid to promote it....it's just an honest idea based on my own experience!)

Wish you all the best!

Just now, Sarah2 said:

Hmmm......and theft?  10K pins but how many sales?

Sorry to be so sceptical....

Hi! 

It was an infographic about cooking....there was no product to sell with it. Unfortunately :D

About theft..... Images can be pinned ONLY from SS in this group board which means With the watermark on it!

If someone still manages to steal it (take the watermark off with some program..) that can be done straight from SS! At the moment we upload anything on the internet...it can be stolen or reproduced for that matter!! There is nothing to do about that IMO. The point of using Pinterest is to put your art out there. Of course is not for everyone. But I can go on your profile now and pin your art into my Pinterest boards if I want to! I can share it on Facebook or Twitter.....etc. If so..... why not You are the one who share it for more exposure and maybe gain some extra buyer with it? 

Yeah, also would be nice if Shutterstock gives us some percentage if we gain new buyer on the site through our pins. 

I think this is good idea, I was thinking about promoting for one other site, but unfortunately I don't have enough time for everything I would like to do. 

It might be interesting to cherry-pick our best, or best-selling images, to promote our ports on Pinterest.  Or simply post the link to our entire portfolio on Pinterest, every 100 or so new images that get approved into our ports.

I wouldn't go overboard doing it, because time is precious, there are only so many hours in a day, we don't want to waste time and that time might be better spent submitting new images to these stock agencies.

1 hour ago, Nadalina said:

Yeah, also would be nice if Shutterstock gives us some percentage if we gain new buyer on the site through our pins. 

I think this is good idea, I was thinking about promoting for one other site, but unfortunately I don't have enough time for everything I would like to do. 

That would be nice, wouldn't it?  :D 

32 minutes ago, Mike Kuhlman said:

It might be interesting to cherry-pick our best, or best-selling images, to promote our ports on Pinterest.  Or simply post the link to our entire portfolio on Pinterest, every 100 or so new images that get approved into our ports.

I wouldn't go overboard doing it, because time is precious, there are only so many hours in a day, we don't want to waste time and that time might be better spent submitting new images to these stock agencies.

I think it makes sense. A lot of potential customer has Pinterest accounts. Like interior designers, companies....and bloggers!!! They all have Pinterest. And they all need stock images. They pin everything they like...photos...ideas...colour schemes...spend hours on making "mood boards" etc.

So if these potential customers already using this site...it makes sense to let them save our work into their boards. 

Of course, you are right about the time thing! We have just 24 hours a day on our hand...but I think it's worth trying out :)

20 minutes ago, mandritoiu said:

Going viral goes against your selling interests. People use your shared photo for free. No wonder you only made $12 so far.

So, you have to decide whether you prefer to be popular on social media or to be a successful microstocker. The two options don't go hand in hand, as you might believe.

This is why, whenever I find someone sharing my work, I run a DMCA take down request against them. Because, I don't care about being viral or "popular", I care to protect my sales.

First of all: They won't use it for free, it is exactly like on Shutterstock. With the whole watermark on it. It is useless for them but they can appreciate the image, remember, save and Click -> buy.

Second: I sold only for $12 coz I didn't start it 10 years ago when there was only a bunch of artist around + coz I do not promote it anywhere

Third: Shutterstock has BUILT IN share options on your portfolio and on every single image of yours. You can't prevent everyone from sharing your stuff. If it's up there, it's gonna be shared.With the watermark. There is nothing you can do about that.

Of course... you might be right! Who knows? :) But I think it worth trying.

1 minute ago, mandritoiu said:

No worries.

BTW, I just sent 50 DMCA take down notices, with both Remove and Strike options activated, for those who shared my work without approval.

I have more to remove, but I had enough for today.

Thanks for the reminder. ;)

Wow...that's a lot! :o Are these your images used by other contributors as their own?

How do you even find them? Do you look for your images in google 'search with image'? 

2 minutes ago, mandritoiu said:

I just searched the site using my name and my nicknames. There are some directly uploaded by users, but most of them are just shared from other sites, news, blogs, etc.

Do you mean Shutterstock or Pinterest when you say you searched the site?

1 hour ago, mandritoiu said:

Pinterest.

Hm. I guess that's a downside of that platform. Your buyers have the right to use your images on their blogs and on their social media as well. But once the image has gone viral I imagine that it's not easy to follow up and restrict all theft.

Well, in my group it's obviously different coz we only use the watermarked images (previews).

In case you would give it a try, you are welcome to join ;)

Cost/benefit is suspect for microstock. If you were looking to sell some fine art prints or some scenics, then Pintrest is probably a good way to go. If you're not trying to sell a physical product, I don't think attempting to go viral is going to result increased downloads here. Are SS buyers surfing pintrest for images? I'd think they'd be surfing here. 

It is certainly better use of your time than uploading out of focus and poorly lighted flower pics.

This is not to state that there is a problem with this idea, but just to toss out a caution, to suggest to be sure this would not violate the Terms of Service.  For example, in section 12. Shutterstock Trademarks one of the points is (bolding is mine):

g. You may not frame or hotlink to the Shutterstock Websites or to any item of Content other than your own without the prior written consent of Shutterstock.

9 hours ago, Thomas J. Sebourn said:

Cost/benefit is suspect for microstock. If you were looking to sell some fine art prints or some scenics, then Pintrest is probably a good way to go. If you're not trying to sell a physical product, I don't think attempting to go viral is going to result increased downloads here. Are SS buyers surfing pintrest for images? I'd think they'd be surfing here. 

It is certainly better use of your time than uploading out of focus and poorly lighted flower pics.

There are certain things you can't do here. Pinterest is full of bloggers, designers and every kind of company. This is like a huge craftbook where they keep stuff they like. They can't do that here. I wouldn't mind if they keep my shots handy. I did some thinking and some market research and this is my conclusion. You do not have to agree.

You have 4 pages of well-lighted pier photos. I'm sure you are doing just fine...

9 hours ago, Brian Kapp said:

This is not to state that there is a problem with this idea, but just to toss out a caution, to suggest to be sure this would not violate the Terms of Service.  For example, in section 12. Shutterstock Trademarks one of the points is (bolding is mine):

g. You may not frame or hotlink to the Shutterstock Websites or to any item of Content other than your own without the prior written consent of Shutterstock.

Hi Brian!

I was thinking about this a lot before I started the topic. I was concerned at first but... 

1, Everyone who would want to contribute in this group board WILL SHARE THEIR OWN work in it. We won't start going through SS and choose random shots.

2, SS has the share icons on every portfolio + you can share every single image on the site. It has built in by SS. So I wouldn't think it would be against any policy.

What do you think?

Pinterest is the number one site that promotes image theft. And how many times have I or someone I know had an image stolen and used on a blog somewhere and the credit given is "pinterest" well sorry pinterest did not create that image, it only helped you steal it.

Is it obvious how I feel about Pinterest?

12 hours ago, Eric Urquhart said:

Pinterest is the number one site that promotes image theft. And how many times have I or someone I know had an image stolen and used on a blog somewhere and the credit given is "pinterest" well sorry pinterest did not create that image, it only helped you steal it.

+1

Posting images there is an open invitation for them to be 're-pinned' (i.e. stolen) and used to promote someone else's page. If anybody's going to use my images for that purpose, I'd rather they paid for them first.

17 hours ago, mandritoiu said:

I got the response to my DMCA filing:

You recently notified Pinterest of a belief that copyrighted material was being made available without authorization (DMCA notification xxxxxxxxxx)
We confirm that following content has been removed from appearing on Pinterest. While most content is removed immediately, it may take up to 24 hours to be removed from all servers.

Next batch of pin removals will follow later today :angry:

In case more will decide to use this platform for self-promotion, I recommend to do the same: file a DMCA case and remove all unauthorized pins with your work shared from blogs, websites etc. These pins are competing with yours. You want your work to re-direct the traffic to your own Shutterstock store, not to some random blog.

Interesting to note that I found some of my photos pinned by others, but pointing back to their original Shutterstock page. Obviously, I have nothing against this type of pins ;) 

Awesome. I will keep this procedure in mind ;)

17 hours ago, Eric Urquhart said:

Hi Eric! 

I agree with you! It would piss me off just the same. That is something that we cant change unfortunately. But we could hunt them down like 'mandritoiu' :)

The promotion in my group board can only contain the watermarked previews and all of them have to link back to SS! 

This way I do not facilitate any theft but help more people to find/buy our images. Well at least thats the idea.