Brian Kapp

What does rejection "Post-Production Technique" mean?

8 posts in this topic

I submitted this image (in a larger size) as abstract.  It was rejected for "Post-Production Technique -- Image contains quality issues due to cloning, isolation, or other post-production techniques."

Conceptually, anyway, what might that mean?  It is indeed a photo in a forest preserve, with special effect(s) applied.

DSC_4583_Special_Effect.jpg

43 minutes ago, Brian Kapp said:

I submitted this image (in a larger size) as abstract.  It was rejected for "Post-Production Technique -- Image contains quality issues due to cloning, isolation, or other post-production techniques."

Conceptually, anyway, what might that mean?  It is indeed a photo in a forest preserve, with special effect(s) applied.

DSC_4583_Special_Effect.jpg

It means just what it says: your post-production techniques (special effects), whatever they were, are not acceptable. I'm not sure what you're trying to do here, but it's not an abstraction and is too busy to be a background. The purple and green color scheme is kind of off-putting for me, too. That's not to say photos with filters applied don't get accepted. They do and below is one of my best sellers. You just need to have a goal in mind when you start to apply image filters.

stock-photo-photo-of-downtown-seattle-wa

Just to add to what's already been said; it's a good idea to say you've added filters/effects in the description so it is clear to the reviewer they were intentional. You may already do this, if not I'd suggest doing it in future. 
Also, when does a photo become an illustration? If it looks like a photo, it's a photo. If it looks like an illustration, it's an illustration ;) 

The picture with Seattle above is a wonderful example of how post production art filters can be value added.  That said it is inspiring me to be better.

My current personal philosophy is that I have too little time left after just getting my pictures prepared and posted to do too much with art filters...except...those times when I have a picture with great color and composition but...just a hair off on focus or focal plane.  So I do spend time with those and art filters just to learn more.   They are generally always accepted.   I asked in a forum some time ago it it was worth it and I got a bit of “no” from some.  That said I have sold a couple.  

My thoughts

• Unless you have great skill like Phil Lowe may not be a great use of time to start with a goal of making art filters.
  • As a new person to filters I think it is a way to capture back some time invested in photos that “...just a bit outside”
  • Dont be anchored to my or anyone else’s opinion...focuse on what is right for you this is just my thoughts...
  • Lastly I am surprised at what sells sometimes...as long as quality is good tastes are quite varied in the world.

:P 

Too new to give advice on what sells and what doesn't, but I do enjoy making 'art' from photos. As was said above, a great image that is slightly out of focus may be worth playing with. As with writing, do it with an audience in mind, or simply do it for your own pleasure. If it turns out to be something someone may be able to use commercially  (I.E. can add text to it without too much distraction, or can be used to illustrate a concept or idea) submit it. But just so you know, I haven't much for modified stuff up, and haven't sold much yet. If it's a chore for you to do, and doesn't sell, it's not worth it. If you enjoy doing it, it's worth it whether it sells or not :)