Ajayverma321456

How many photos to start earning at least 100$ a month.

There would seem to be a relationship between port size and number of DL's. I have a port of more than 4000 but of this 3000 are illustrations and a 1000 are photo's, I've rounded this off. But my sales are 50/50 what indicates it just happens to be in which part of the market you operate in, and uniqueness, and what the buyer is actually looking for, I sometimes dumbfounded at what they buy of my illustrations. I also have some photo's im my port that if searched by the right keywords I am the only contributor that shows up, and I'm not going to say which photo's 🙂. Thing is I like doing abstract illustrations and photography and have collage degrees in photography, 3d modelling and animation but I ended up in the computer programming business but if I'm doing the illustrations and photography for my own amusement I might as well make some money from it. Keywording isn't a chore as I can do it pretty fast and it's better than watching the crap on TV.

17 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

I've got $116,000 in earnings but only 3700 downloads in 7 years. That pathetic download number makes me a failure by some people's measurements .  But I'll stack my earnings against theirs anytime.  Earnings. That is what matters.

You do clips only though. Isn't that like comparing apples and oranges?

Nope.  My time is really my only investment in selling stock.  And if it takes me as much time to submit a clip as it does a photo, then there is no comparison  as to which one pays the higher reward -- as measured by the hours of work invested into it.

33 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

BTW, if you don't count my time spent shooting (because I enjoy it and would be doing it anyway) I'm making an average of $280 per hour for editing, grading, creating metadata, and submitting.  That is a successful venture in my book and I doubt anyone on this forum is going to beat that.  Why? Because I don't waste time submitting photos, I only do video, and I'm very efficient at how I do my work.  Nobody is going touch that hourly income doing photos when photos only pay pennies per download.

I've got $116,000 in earnings but only 3700 downloads in 7 years. That pathetic download number makes me a failure by some people's measurements .  But I'll stack my earnings against theirs anytime.  Earnings. That is what matters.

I understand what you want to say. Still i think 3700 downloads for videos is a impressive number. ;)

That's only 44 per month over the course of 7 years with an average portfolio size of probably 3000 (estimate).  I am a total failure by those who judge success by downloads alone.  The point I'm trying to make is that downloads mean nothing at all.  I never even paid attention to that number until I started reading the forum pages a few weeks ago and learned how many people are obsessed with their number of downloads.  Who cares?  It is the earnings that matter.

And of course, as jean-francois points out, profitability is calculated by subtracting the costs of doing business -- mainly your time.

49 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

To je jen 44 za měsíc v průběhu 7 let s průměrnou velikostí portfolia asi 3000 (odhad). Jsem totálním neúspěchem těch, kteří usuzují na úspěch jen stažením. Bod, který se snažím udělat, je, že stahování nic neznamená. Nikdy jsem tomuto číslu nevěnoval pozornost, dokud jsem před několika týdny nezačal číst stránky fóra a zjistil jsem, kolik lidí je posedlých počtem stažení. Koho to zajímá? Záleží na výdělcích.

A samozřejmě, jak poukazuje jean-francois, ziskovost se vypočítá odečtením nákladů na podnikání - hlavně vašeho času.

mainly because we do what we enjoy and fill and when it makes a profit it also pleases. Someone more and the others are sad instead of getting  (with help of google translator :- ) )

On 16/4/2019 at 21:25, Doug Jensen said:

Por cierto, si no cuenta el tiempo que dedico a filmar (porque lo disfruto y lo estaría haciendo de todos modos), estoy ganando un promedio de $ 280 por hora para editar, calificar, crear metadatos y enviar. Esa es una empresa exitosa en mi libro y dudo que alguien en este foro vaya a superar eso. ¿Por qué? Como no pierdo tiempo enviando fotos, solo hago videos y soy muy eficiente en la forma en que hago mi trabajo. Nadie va a tocar ese ingreso por hora haciendo fotos cuando las fotos solo pagan centavos por descarga.

Tengo $ 116,000 en ganancias pero solo 3700 descargas en 7 años. Ese número de descarga patética me hace un fracaso por las medidas de algunas personas. Pero apilaré mis ganancias contra las suyas en cualquier momento. Ganancias. Eso es lo que importa.

you want to know that you have earned an average of one year, in 7 years of $ at year in shutter

I had read that you were earning about $ 3,000 a month lately

Has the gain been exponential in this last time?

I find your data and your profile very interesting

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:25 PM, Doug Jensen said:

BTW, if you don't count my time spent shooting (because I enjoy it and would be doing it anyway) I'm making an average of $280 per hour for editing, grading, creating metadata, and submitting.  That is a successful venture in my book and I doubt anyone on this forum is going to beat that.  Why? Because I don't waste time submitting photos, I only do video, and I'm very efficient at how I do my work.  Nobody is going touch that hourly income doing photos when photos only pay pennies per download.

Hi Doug - I don't really understand why don't you count your time shooting? Whether you enjoy doing it or not and whether you would have been doing it anyway or not, it is still time taken to produce the clip you have put up for sale. I don't enjoy doing metadata, but it has to be factored into calculations. Exactly the same for time spent travelling to the location, time spent researching the location, money spent on fuel, wear and tear on equipment, time spent processing, it all should be considered when calculating your bottom line profitability. Taking out the time factor does not give a true indication of your profitability, and it would certainly change the impressive $280 per hour you keep stating. If I take out my time spent actually shooting, my profit would go through the roof, but it wouldn't be accurate.

Not looking to start an argument, just a discussion.

Matt, I understand what you are saying and if someone else felt that they needed to take into account their time and expense of shooting when they figure their profitability, I would have no argument with that.  Everyone needs to come up with their own way of figuring out what they are earning from their efforts. If shooting is a chore or a job, then they should factor that in.  But in my own case, I would be shooting anyway so I don't include those things you mention. I love shooting and would be doing it for free anyway.  I am traveling anyway, so I don't include those expenses.  All of my equipment is paid for from regular work, not stock, so I don't include that either.  Other people might feel it is necessary to nclude all of those things, but I don't.  And that is why I always clearly state that my numbers only account for the stuff I have to do in post --  because that is the only part I find work.  I try to be very clear about that. The footage is going to get shot anyway because I enjoy it, it's the SELLING of that footage that is the work. 

Besides, there is really no way I could track my shooting time anyway because usually I'm shooting for more than one purpose.  So how do I account for that?  But let's say I could account for that somehow.  I'll bet my income per hour would still be over $100 because I'm typically shooting dozens of clips an hour.   So cut my $280 in half, if you want.  Cut in quarter, if you want.  That would make my hourly income $70.   And $70/hour is sill a lot more than most people are making at their job. And most people don't like their job. I'm making money doing something I love to do.

Everyone needs to draw their own line on what should be counted in their ledger of expenses .  You probably do not include the cost of the clothes you wore, or the wear and tear on your shoe leather while out shooting. The amortization of your vehicle and camera gear. Your medical insurance.  Equipment insurance.  What about the food and drink you ate before or after shooting that fueld you?  What about entry fees to a National Park or someplace like that?  Parking? Tolls?  If you want to get really technical, shouldn't those things be factored into the equation as well?  I wouldn't because I'd be paying for all those things anyway whether I was selling stock or not, but some people might want to if they want to really crunch the numbers right down to the penny.

The bottom line is that I choose to only calculate the time and expenses for the crap I do not enjoy and I would not be doing if I wasn't going to try to sell the footage.

1 hour ago, Doug Jensen said:

Matt, I understand what you are saying and if someone else felt that they needed to take into account their time and expense of shooting when they figure their profitability, I would have no argument with that.  Everyone needs to come up with their own way of figuring out what they are earning from their efforts. If shooting is a chore or a job, then they should factor that in.  But in my own case, I would be shooting anyway so I don't include those things you mention. I love shooting and would be doing it for free anyway.  I am traveling anyway, so I don't include those expenses.  All of my equipment is paid for from regular work, not stock, so I don't include that either.  Other people might feel it is necessary to nclude all of those things, but I don't.  And that is why I always clearly state that my numbers only account for the stuff I have to do in post --  because that is the only part I find work.  I try to be very clear about that. The footage is going to get shot anyway because I enjoy it, it's the SELLING of that footage that is the work. 

Besides, there is really no way I could track my shooting time anyway because usually I'm shooting for more than one purpose.  So how do I account for that?  But let's say I could account for that somehow.  I'll bet my income per hour would still be over $100 because I'm typically shooting dozens of clips an hour.   So cut my $280 in half, if you want.  Cut in quarter, if you want.  That would make my hourly income $70.   And $70/hour is sill a lot more than most people are making at their job. And most people don't like their job. I'm making money doing something I love to do.

Everyone needs to draw their own line on what should be counted in their ledger of expenses .  You probably do not include the cost of the clothes you wore, or the wear and tear on your shoe leather while out shooting. The amortization of your vehicle and camera gear. Your medical insurance.  Equipment insurance.  What about the food and drink you ate before or after shooting that fueld you?  What about entry fees to a National Park or someplace like that?  Parking? Tolls?  If you want to get really technical, shouldn't those things be factored into the equation as well?  I wouldn't because I'd be paying for all those things anyway whether I was selling stock or not, but some people might want to if they want to really crunch the numbers right down to the penny.

The bottom line is that I choose to only calculate the time and expenses for the crap I do not enjoy and I would not be doing if I wasn't going to try to sell the footage.

Fair enough Doug, understand your POV better now, was just offering my opinion. All of the things you mentioned above though, yes, I do include them as I am running a business and all of those things, in the UK, are tax deductible - except maybe the clothes, I don't claim for those! But food and drink, parking and tolls, amortization of equipment, insurance costs - absolutely! Interesting how the two things are so similar but people "record" them in different ways and you get such large differentiation. My profit per hour is probably horrendous, but I don't use that as a business metric - although I do factor it into my cost calculations - but for pure business accountancy and reporting purposes, it is not necessary to measure it.

Like you said, each to their own way of doing things, and I wasn't questioning you, was only genuinely interested in your POV. I guess it is just the difference between doing this as a "hobby", for extra cash, or as part of an ongoing business. Interesting discussion, would be good to get others POV on it too.

A bit off topic, apologies to OP.

Matt,  just to clarify I do keep track of all those business expenses (and tons more) for tax purposes.  My whole financial life is monitored down to the penny in QuickBooks and my tax return (which I just filed Monday) was 38 pages long.   However,  I make my full-time living in the TV/video production industry, so all of those business expenses are already covered under my normal course of doing business and there is no need for me to separate those that were for stock and those that are for regular work.  All those business expenses are already being paid for whether I am doing stock or not.  So I really only need to look at expenses I incur just for doing stock, and those are practically zero.  But other people need to apply their own performance analysis in their own way. 

32 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

Matt,  just to clarify I do keep track of all those business expenses (and tons more) for tax purposes.  My whole financial life is monitored down to the penny in QuickBooks and my tax return (which I just filed Monday) was 38 pages long.   However,  I make my full-time living in the TV/video production industry, so all of those business expenses are already covered under my normal course of doing business and there is no need for me to separate those that were for stock and those that are for regular work.  All those business expenses are already being paid for whether I am doing stock or not.  So I really only need to look at expenses I incur just for doing stock, and those are practically zero.  But other people need to apply their own performance analysis in their own way. 

Okay, that gives more insight now. I wasn't aware of your day job so not being able to allow for costs twice makes sense whichever way you look at it. Good luck, your numbers are impressive but some of us photographers do okay too ;) 

Yeah, stock accounts for less than 15% of my overall income and I look at it just as an enjoyable hobby because I get to shoot what I want and when I want to shoot it rather than serving the needs of a client.  

35 minutes ago, Matt Gibson said:

Okay, that gives more insight now. I wasn't aware of your day job so not being able to allow for costs twice makes sense whichever way you look at it. Good luck, your numbers are impressive but some of us photographers do okay too ;) 

You may (or may not) find my first post in this thread of interest if you want more information about how I'm approaching stock.

38 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

Yeah, stock accounts for less than 15% of my overall income and I look at it just as an enjoyable hobby because I get to shoot what I want and when I want to shoot it rather than serving the needs of a client.  

I agree. stock Has never been More than 23/25% of My Income from Making Pictures for Buyers. Clients Take up 60%.... Teaching 10/12% which was the reverse 8/12 years ago when we had 3 Books Out there and doing Workshops from Florida to Hawaii.. But real Income to Buy whatever i want comes from Music Copyrights going back to the 70's which accounts to net worth, Doing 2 Gallery shows a year, Working with My agent Of 32 years Putting My work Into TV shows and films as set decoration. Very few realize. every Indoor scene you see in every show the artwork is rented and My team Of Interior decorators that Put my Framed stuff in the Hallways of Hotels in Mumbai,China and Dubai. They frame and matt and hang. I used to be Busy teaching every fri,sat and sun for many Years as 591 have come here from around the world. That has slowed to 1/2 every few months. My french client Now is Pretty much Taking over. and Thats 100% Tabletop work and Micro in Nature. And In a clean room I had to Build. I signed On for 2 years.I'll be close to 79 Then and........Who Knows?. I left school at 15 1/2 and started working.So.....How many Photos to earn a 100 a Month. There is No answer Depends on the Photos. My best single Day on SS was about $900.00 I been With 13 sites. and Only 4 Now. The rest suck.....

Wow, I cannot begin to tell you how boring all that is. Does any of it have anything to do with selling stock?  Why do you feel the need to constantly post about your life on threads where it has no relevance whatsoever to the conversation.   Please, I urge you to start a thread called "Laurin's Biography" or maybe a blog where you can talk about all your experiences and neighbors as much as you want.  Really, you are so boring.  Read your post with fresh eyes and ask what, if any, of it has to do with the stock.

Granted, people might find my posts boring as well, but at least I'm on topic.

Doug...I said Im Impressed when You first Posted. then I changed My Mind. Your Nothing But a rude Blowhard. I'll write what i want...Period. get It.? You did Not start this thread. Don't read what I say. Pretty simple It ain't rocket science. sorry I have and Had a Interesting Life. Maybe you didn't. Too Bad. maybe you will someday when you loose the attitude.I answered the Point."There is No answer Depends on the Photos. My best single Day on SS was about $900.00 I been With 13 sites. and Only 4 Now. The rest suck..... I share More than whats asked. don't Like it?. Change the channel dude.

3 hours ago, Doug Jensen said:

Wow, I cannot begin to tell you how boring all that is. Does any of it have anything to do with selling stock?  Why do you feel the need to constantly post about your life on threads where it has no relevance whatsoever to the conversation.   Please, I urge you to start a thread called "Laurin's Biography" or maybe a blog where you can talk about all your experiences and neighbors as much as you want.  Really, you are so boring.  Read your post with fresh eyes and ask what, if any, of it has to do with the stock.

Granted, people might find my posts boring as well, but at least I'm on topic.

Gets boring doesnt't he, half truths and pretender, makes it up as he goes. If you call him on any of that you'll get a biting persdonal attack with more made up bragging. Next he's going to claim he's blocked you, but he'll follow closer just to attack more. Very childish.