Crowd working model, driven by SS, must be a great resource for professional or high skilled contributors. I'm quite sure it works. I've still too much to learn about commercial photography for jumping into the next level, but i'll follow this new SS branch with extreme interest.  

I just wrote a review of Shutterstock Custom:

http://brutallyhonestmicrostock.com/2017/09/23/review-introducing-shutterstock-custom/

Seems like a good option and a smart move by Shutterstock to offer its contributors something different away from the diminishing returns that is Microstock. 

Although I'm not keen on giving away copyright to ANYBODY and would expect to be compensated handsomely for this BURDEN!

In their agreement:

"By providing a Submission to us that we accept and compensate you for (“Paid Submission”), you will thereby assign to us and we will own, all right, title and interest in and to that Paid Submission, irrevocably, perpetually and without any limitation or restriction whatsoever.
Without limiting the generality of the preceding sentence, upon receipt of each Paid Submission, we will have the exclusive, irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide right to use, reproduce, display, electronically transmit, distribute, publish, broadcast, modify, edit, combine with the work of others, make derivative works from and otherwise exploit each of your Paid Submissions, and to grant any of those rights to others, for any purpose whatsoever, and on any terms determined by us in our sole discretion. You agree that by providing a Paid Submission to us, you will thereby waive all moral rights or any similar rights you may have in relation to that Paid Submission. If we request you to do so, you will sign and deliver to us any and all further assignments and other instruments we may require in order to confirm our ownership of your Paid Submissions."

Do other contributors here understand the same that I understand?………

Yes, the contract is lop-sided towards SS. 

A photographer giving away copyright to his/her work is quite extreme and I would have to think carefully about which images I'd send them if I were selected to fulfill an assignment.

I would also have to think carefully if the time invested is worth the payment minus the loss of copyright.

I don't like the contract they've offered but it's the way the industry is headed....a race to the bottom, so I'm not surprised.  

24 minutes ago, Maxal Tamor said:

It would mean that all images submitted will be owned by SS. You will get a one time payment and that's it.

It will also mean that SS will much more aggressively market the images from custom than they would the images currently on SS, and they will get ALL the revenues from the sale of those images and the contributor will get zilch as they signed away the rights. A perfect way to increase profits for the shareholders at the expense of the contributor.

But hey folks, this is a wonderful opportunity for you the contributor so sign up quickly now...just like the changes to EL's etc...such wonderful opportunities for the contributors :rolleyes:

BUT i dont believe Shutterstock can sell the images to others then the original buyer. It is an exclusive use. Thinking this way they are not able to create an own port to sell to anyone as on microstock.

Perhaps you're right but they also state that they have the right to "make derivative works from and otherwise exploit each of your Paid Submissions". So they'll take your image, modify it slightly and sell it on and they would be perfectly entitled to do that. In the eyes of the law, it's a different image. Clever. 

I did but the term "To Others" means the buyer of the license i think. Otherwise i dont see the sense to mention everywhere on Shutterstock Custom that images are exclusive created but maybe i am thinking to simpe ;).

Others isn't capitalised so it's not defined, strangely. This was probably done on purpose. 

In this case, "others" would be open to interpretation. I would think it means general third parties (i.e SS clients and within the Group of companies). 

On 9/23/2017 at 6:14 PM, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

I just wrote a review of Shutterstock Custom:

http://brutallyhonestmicrostock.com/2017/09/23/review-introducing-shutterstock-custom/

Seems like a good option and a smart move by Shutterstock to offer its contributors something different away from the diminishing returns that is Microstock. 

Although I'm not keen on giving away copyright to ANYBODY and would expect to be compensated handsomely for this BURDEN!

How can you write a review about something without knowing all detail?

How can you write a review about something without knowing all detail?

It's work in progress as I gather more information on this new venture.

I've only received the first brief this morning. Will update the blog as I gather more information and hopefully after I've accepted a brief...obviously cannot go into too much detail or I'd be in breach of the agreement's confidentiality clause.

I must admit that once I read the clause about giving away rights to exclusive images in perpetuity I was shocked.  

There are "legal experts" replying here who shouldn't.

It is crystal clear what it says. No "ifs", ands" or buds" about it.

Once you submit an image, you don't own it anymore and you lost all rights forever.  Flashstock can do with it whatever they want. They can destroy it, they can make a milion postcards of the (now their) image, They can sell or give all the rights to a client, or they can sell or give all the rights to SS (as a separate legal entity), who in turn can sell it here on this site if they wish. As a matter of fact, you also lost all rights of "similars" at Flashstock's discretion too, submitted or not. (as it says in another part of the terms if i remember correctly) 

I just got an e-mail from "Custom Stock", formerly Flashstock, too.

I already joined Flashstock (before SS bought it and called it "Custom Stock"), and it sounds like a quick way for the contributor to go out, shoot and submit 4 images and get $50 (assuming all 4 images are accepted, probably have to shoot and submit 10 to get 4 accepted), which for the contributor is a nice additional bonus pay to stock, but I've been having trouble finding the time to go out and shoot custom images that have never before been published or. shared on the web and are going to be sold outright, we the contributors lose all rights to the images, can no longer make money from them in any other way.  

Plus they require model releases for all images of people, property or intellectual trademarks and the assignments typically call for images of people, property and intellectual trademarks.  There doesn't seem to be any editorial option.  Forget that!

This is commercial photography representing national or global name brands!  These cheap companies "Custom Stock" represents should be paying $100s if not $1,000s per assignment for this photography!  

Unless I happen to have time and an assignment doesn't call for people, properties or intellectual trademarks, NO, I will NOT be doing this.

Sadly, this is the future.  Corporate America, squeeze the life out of the worker to increase their bottom-line profit...

As I said in another thread the other day, there are other similar companies out there with far more reasonable terms and conditions. 

8 minutes ago, Rudy Umans said:

As I said in another thread the other day, there are other similar companies out there with far more reasonable terms and conditions. 

Ah, I didn't see the thread from the other day, thanks.  

Again, if a company is offering $100s if not $1000s per assignment, I'll be happy to sell all rights to images I shoot for them, because they paid me well enough on the front end to do so.

Or if they're offering $50 per assignment PLUS back-end royalties, sure, I'll go for that too if I feel the back-end royalties are adequate.

Those would be more reasonable terms and conditions.

What are the names of those similar, more reasonable companies?

I'm perfectly happy to sign over copyright with "work for hire" - I do this all the time as my real job. However, I think that SS payment for their new scheme would be only a fraction of even my hourly rate! I would never agree to that in 300 years! :blink:

16 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Only worth considering if you get a four figure payment. If not, then forget it. 

The four figure payment is what Shutterstock will get after that you have accepted to give them the images and all the rights for $12.5 per image…

(This is what I understand)