Rejection on literally all my photos - Over 100

8 hours ago, cpaulfell said:

You will not get better sales if they are "commercial" because they have very little to none commercial value.

Sorry, I don't agree with this.... I have so many clients who want military artwork for their books, publications, merch and so on.... fiction, non-fiction etc... huge market out there... Shutterstock doesn't want to be a part of it... many others do. I get people tracking me down, after seeing my low quality work here on Shutterstock and I get private commissions etc

I only have my own photos of mainly Australian, US and Japanese military hardware... If I had the photos Sam has.. I would have more work then I could handle.... that being said... it not "just a photo" they want... they want it in a specific way... example... 2 F-15s and a MIG 21 in an explosive combat situation... with room for the book title etc on the cover... or game artwork and so on.... Historical novels... they would like some artwork/image based the true events of the story... Military business is a huge $$$$$$ earner... so is the graphic design that goes with it... 

16 minutes ago, Keith Tarrier said:

Sorry, I don't agree with this.... I have so many clients who want military artwork for their books, publications, merch and so on.... fiction, non-fiction etc... huge market out there...

What you just described is editorial uses. Commercial uses is using the image for advertising purposes like in a TV add or on a bill board or in a magazine advertisement.

I use images for commercial use are mainly for merchandise such as books and products,

As quoted on the website:

You'll see many of Shutterstock's images, vectors, and footage marked as "Editorial Use Only." These content items are not cleared for commercial use, but are instead created for use in news media and other non-commercial purposes (learn about how editorial images can be used).

Commercial Use: 

What is "commercial use?"
Commercial use is any kind of promotion/advertising for a product or service that generates revenue. The use can be direct or indirect. Direct use could be in an advertisement for a product. Indirect use could be a social media post on a business page that promotes a holiday without specifically selling or promoting the business. Neither of these uses would be permitted if the image is marked as "Editorial Use Only."

Editorial content can not be used in:

• Advertisements

• Merchandise

• Product packaging

• Any other commercial/promotional use 

• 2 years later...
On 9/15/2017 at 1:29 PM, sam-whitfield1 said:
All i seem to be getting back is nothing but rejection, COnstantly spending hours putting title and keywords which match the photos some even detailed for help of the buyer but after re-submitting several times im getting a little fed up now. Im an aviation photographer so most of my images are aircraft but ive seen so many pictures the same sort of "shot" on here and dont have a clue how they managed to pass through when mine arnt.

Getting the following back  Intellectual Property -- Image potentially infringes on another party’s intellectual property rights (e.g., someone else’s artwork is visible in the image or an object's design is protected by copyright).
Title / Keyword Trademark -- Title and/or keywords contain trademark issues (e.g., brand name, company name, etc).
Visible Trademark -- Image contains visible brand names or logos.

because aircraft designs will be protected by copywright you cant use commercial, they have to be editorial but you need the date, year place & describe the photo ie; close up of named aircraft in flight. (someone else can correct me)

On 9/25/2017 at 2:22 AM, Keith Tarrier said:

I think you actually go lucky getting those you did

I disagree on this. The designs of aircrafts are likely copyrighted and very recognisable to an expert eye, so improper use could lead to troubles. I think the luck is to get a good review that rejects the images and points out the need for an editorial classification and license.

On 9/15/2017 at 7:36 AM, Patrick Cooper said:

Unfortunately, they cannot be used anywhere commercially. In many cases, the design is protected by copyright. You do have some very nice images though. Just submit them as editorial and be done with it. 

+1

On 12/9/2019 at 7:36 PM, Ackab Photography said:

I disagree on this. The designs of aircrafts are likely copyrighted and very recognisable to an expert eye, so improper use could lead to troubles. I think the luck is to get a good review that rejects the images and points out the need for an editorial classification and license.

When it comes to aircrafts I submitted an old image of the Concorde as editorial. I took the picture in the 80s when the plane was still flying. The editorial submission was rejected and I was asked to provide a VINTAGE PROPERTY RELEASE!!!!!

Still trying to figure out what this means. Anyone can enlighten me please do !!!

Airplanes are handled different on other sides. I have a lot of them submitted there even as commercial with no problem as long as no country or company logo is visual. Things are handled differently hear.

• 9 months later...

SAME! I AM FUMING! I spent so much time uploading 20 photos, adding nice tags and titles not even 1 min after uploading them, they got rejected. I'm pretty sure that was a bot not a real person, as the reviews came so quickly.  

this was rejected because" Sensor / Lens Dust: Image has visible sensor or lens dust." 

Can anyone see any dust? Seriously? Many more pics were rejected for " noise or out of focus " which is completely untrue. I am very disappointed. 

IMG_5263.jpg

On 9/15/2017 at 8:30 AM, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

And you do not need to put (editorial) in your title. If it's clicked editorial, they have that listed on the image requirements already. You're using space with an unneeded description. Great images in your port. Editorial can be a good seller. No need to try and make them into commercial images.

I agree? Just follow the title rules that SS has for editorial images and you should be fine.

On 9/21/2017 at 2:16 PM, Whiteaster said:

Well, everybody has his/ her own opinion about this.

About the other agency you mentioned, I am not a veteran but the general consent about this on the other forum is that it might affect your ranking.

There is a thread "improving discoverability" over there, you should read it if you haven't already.

You mean:

"Discoverability" on Alamy is calculated purely on the number of keywords and "supertags" you use and the optional information you give. It has nothing to do with the actual quality of keywords or descriptions. So if you have 50 keywords and 10 supertags, you will have good discoverability by default.

Also: "The general consensus is to disregard that feature. The most important thing you can do is only use relevant tags. Trying to pad your tag field simply to get in “the green” will cause your images to show up in searches where they shouldn’t, thus hurting your CTR. "

It also has nothing to do with how your image will be ranked or displayed, and Alamy makes it clear that views, without zooms and views without a purchase will lower your image CTR rank, so adding irrelevant words, or 50 words just to have 50, will not help your placement or sales.

On 9/21/2017 at 1:21 PM, Mike Kuhlman said:

Why indeed.  Thanks for the info.  

Regarding keywords, yeah, but other agencies, like A___y, improve an image's discoverability from poor to good when you go from 49 or less keywords to 50 keywords, which leads me to believe this agency is the same way.  Even though an image can be described in 15 or less keywords, I for one want my images to be discovered, and keywords are how customers discover them.  The more keywords, up to the max, the better.  Maybe embed 50 keywords, then "invent" more if needed.  Look up other photographers' images for help "inventing" keywords.

Yeah, I disagree that something as simple as numbers will make more sales, anywhere.

Assuming that SS is not existing in a vacuum, your views, CTR and sales of an image, will also have an effect on the rank, along with who knows how many other unknowns. We know that age/newness is very important and sales when an image is new, will help the future rank. I believe that the 50 keywords is Microstock mythology and there's no proof that it does anything to help, and it might hurt. Others think it's the law and worship the 50 word limit as absolute truth. (to the point of adding compound and double words, just to have more?) Fact is, we don't really know.

What I can say is this, synonyms are our friend. 👍 Think and add those words.

More words does not necessarily mean more sales. Maybe more views, so if you have a watermelon and label it as an apple, you'll get views, but the buyer still wants a watermelon. The right answer is, all the words that apply and are directly related to an image, that's the right number. It might be 15 and it might be 50, but it's not a fixed number.

Wow and I'm replying to a three year old message?

Also people should be aware that on AS the limit is 49 or your words will all be the same rank.

On 9/23/2020 at 1:44 PM, Ackab Photography said:

Nothing good

Hello there, Ackab Photography 

I tried to reply to the links that I received in my email and somehow I could not connect directly to reply to your samples and comment. I see that you like to saturate your images and the image of the California coastline with the bridge I posted for another member to see if he or she sees any problems of colors with the monitor. Also the image was accepted on SS and I normally do my best of not altering anything too much from what my eyes saw at the time of capture. I prefer to make it as close to the real thing when the photograph was taken with the way it was in real life. 

Anyway just to reply to your post processing. 

Take care. 

On 9/21/2017 at 8:26 AM, Whiteaster said:

Yes, you can batch edit your images. If you are in a hurry or want some help, please let me know and I'll write you a short tutorial (on PM).

Edit:

I've sent you a PM with step by step instructions.

Whiteaster: I'd also be interested in receiving your step by step tutorial.  Thank you.

"Also the image was accepted on SS and I normally do my best of not altering anything too much from what my eyes saw at the time of capture. "

The only things id say to that is (i) accepted on SS means nothing these days.  They long since abandoned any form of quality control and (ii) the camera itself doesnt capture what the eyes see.  Id captures raw data which is then processed and edited via algorithms to what a software engineer (either in camera or in software) thinks your image should look like.
A huge problem without a calibrated display is you're editing images to what your eyes think is ok on your screen.  Which is different to every other screen and different from the internationally accepted references used for accurate colour, contrast and so on.  

• 1 month later...

I also get rejection after rejection. I have tried different lends different light and speeds etc. After my last submission of 50 and all rejected for different reasons, it's time to call it a day here and try different site. 

The list of rejected reasons did not make any sense to me, with other photos almost the same already submitted, I think more going on here. I best not see my submitted photos anywhere else