Pamela Walsh

Old Reliable

32 posts in this topic

Anyone else with old gear?

I have a 12 year old Rebel XTi with a 60mm macro, 18-55 basic lens, and a 70-300 IS lens that seems to produce a lot of noise, especially at full zoom.

I bought the lenses at the same time. Is there anything I can do about the noise issue with the zoom? Not sure if the problem wasn't there before, or if I just didn't notice it before.

Other than the noise issue, I love my old equipment, and even if I eventually upgrade, will never part with it. (Unless it gets destroyed or something :P)

~Pamela~

Lenses do not produce noise. Cameras (sensors mainly) produce noise. 

Visible Noise is the result of a signal to noise ratio really,pretty much the same as signal to noise in audio that people might be familiar with

You can go to the support section of the Canon website and see if there is a firmware update for your camera. If there is, that might help. Otherwise, have it serviced, or better yet, have it serviced by Canon anyway.

30 minutes ago, Rudy Umans said:

Lenses do not produce noise. Cameras (sensors mainly) produce noise. 

I think Pam talk about lens mechanical noise (unwanted sound) . Could be IS.

AFAIK, old camera body produce a lot of noise, old lens produce a lot of fungus smoothening em :P

17 minutes ago, Alexlky said:

I think Pam talk about lens mechanical noise (unwanted sound) . Could be IS.

AFAIK, old camera body produce a lot of noise, old lens produce a lot of fungus smoothening em :P

• Good point......... I also thought she was talking about sensor noise. But unwanted sound/noise makes more sense.

Both kinds of noise actually.  Noise and artifacts in the image, and loud motor noise from the IS system...  is worse with the Zoom lens (I think) because I was asked to photograph something at work and the zoom lens allowed me to keep my distance, it was something that produced a lot of fine dust. I am certain some of the dust got inside. Yes the dust was that fine, had to wear breathing masks with hepa (sp?) filters.

5 hours ago, Pamela Walsh said:

I have a... 60mm macro, 18-55 basic lens, and a 70-300 IS lens that seems to produce a lot of noise, especially at full zoom.

I bought the lenses at the same time. Is there anything I can do about the noise issue with the zoom?

The 70-300 is junk. I have one which you can have for free if you collect it.

The 18-55 is not much better. I also have one which you can have for free if you collect it.

The 60mm macro is a gem and I will probably never sell mine. It is fast and an incredible sharp lens.

2 hours ago, Leonard Whistler said:

12 years is too old for a digital camera.

Too old for a laptop too, but mine still works ;), I have a tablet with more ram, though lol

I have a very old 5d mk ii - about 8 years old that is well overdue to be replaced but it still produces great shots sometimes(failures all due to me not it) . I just keep it at 100 iso and do not expect it to track moving subjects.

I have a very old 5d mk ii - about 8 years old that is well overdue to be replaced but it still produces great shots sometimes(failures all due to me not it) . I just keep it at 100 iso and do not expect it to track moving subjects. I still sell images taken with a 10D about 12 years ago but retired it when I bought a 5d

I'm as much of a technology lemming as the next person but I often think to myself that some fantastic images were produced using old kit when it wasn't old.

I think that technology has spoiled us... we expect so much more from everything electronic than we did 10 years ago or even 2.... my old 'noise' machine was once new tech lol

1 hour ago, Pamela Walsh said:

I think that technology has spoiled us... we expect so much more from everything electronic than we did 10 years ago or even 2.... my old 'noise' machine was once new tech lol

Agreed. At some point not so long ago, people would have been drooling over your camera thinking how much better their images would be - if only they had one of those! :blink:

I remember watching a TV programme about photography maybe 15 or 20 years ago where each week a professional photographer was given a phone camera and told to make some images. Back then the phone cameras were primitive to say the least but the results were nearly always astoundingly good when the photos were edited and printed. It's a lesson that has stayed with me (despite my technology lemming leanings) :D   

I still have and occasionally use my old Nikon D80 (2006). 10Mp CCD (not CMOS sensor). @100 ISO it's still pretty good. I'll never sell it as almost all my best-selling shots here were made on it. I always preferred the look of food shot on the D80 compared to food shot on the D90 which has a CMOS sensor (but perhaps that's just my imagination)!

Mind you, there's a world of difference in output between the old D80/90's and the full-frame sensor of the D600. It's just so much better, clearer, sharper and higher ISO is not a problem. Just bought a Sony A6000 24MP APS-C and what comes out of that, even with it's poorly reviewed 16-50mm kit lens, never ceases to amaze me in quality. Things have improved quite a lot in the past 10 years.

4 hours ago, Pamela Walsh said:

I had an SXi back in the days with the same lenses you have. I gave it to my Sister in Law who still uses it today without problems.

It was not "Technology" that ruined your camera and lens, but the use of both in an environment they were not designed for. Not a technology failure, but a user error

3 hours ago, Rudy Umans said:

I had an SXi back in the days with the same lenses you have. I gave it to my Sister in Law who still uses it today without problems.

It was not "Technology" that ruined your camera and lens, but the use of both in an environment they were not designed for. Not a technology failure, but a user error

I know that. Believe me it sucks knowing that. Especially since I looked at prices last night... and my OT for today got cancelled lol. I was compensated for using my camera at work, I just wish I had saved that toward replacing it. Shortly after that though, I moved and due to an evil cat from the neighbor across the hall both my externals went tumbling down the stairs (in a well padded box) and were unrecoverable. So I lost about 50,000 photos and digital art... At least I didn't go tumbling down the stairs too. But I didn't really touch my camera for several years after that, so didn't notice the difference when I did pick it up again.... until I started to look closer at my new stuff.   

Hoping I can get the camera body and lens cleaned for not too much money so they function the best they can until I can retire them.

This is one of my favorite photos from 'before' but this is the biggest file size I can find of it so far. Hoping it's on a cd, but have to wait for my new disk drive to get here to find out. I don't remember when I switched to using the externals.

Monarch.jpg.9e9b577734a0aefaa81db4b12361abb1.jpg

On August 12, 2017 at 5:50 PM, Pamela Walsh said:

I've got a 4x5 Field Camera with 3 lenses. I think one of the lens shutter combination is over 85 years old and it still works fine. There is no noise produced when I focus and no noise in the images either. ;)

4 hours ago, mikenorton said:

I've got a 4x5 Field Camera with 3 lenses. I think one of the lens shutter combination is over 85 years old and it still works fine. There is no noise produced when I focus and no noise in the images either. ;)

That's awesome! Sometimes I miss my old Pentax 35mm slr, but I don't miss having to wait, and pay, to see the photos!