Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Focus_Redefine_Fotography

Tamron or Sigma...Which one is better?

29 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Focus_Redefine_Fotography said:

Hey guys, I want to know somthing from you all...which one is better Tamron or Sigma lenses? i want a general purpose lens, wide angle to zoom... Can't afford Canon....Thanks

Everyone would like a single lens for all circumstances but that's a very tall order. Consider what you most want to capture, do some research (there is a mind boggling amount of info available on-line). Choose a lens that most closely matches your preferred subjects. To be honest (in my humble opinion) a one-size-fits-all solution is unlikely to exist without massive optical compromises. Good luck.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both companies have had issues in the past producing consistently good lenses. Likewise, both companies have done much better in recent years turning out consistently better lenses. The latest lenses from Tamron are their G2 line. I only have one of those: the Tamron 90mm macro. It is an excellent lens. Not to be overlooked is the Sigma line of Art, Contemporary, and Sport lenses. Of this group, I have the Sigma 150-600 Sport. It, too, is an excellent lens. Being third-party lenses, I would consider either the G2 line or the Art/Contemporary/Sport line, before their older lines of lenses, as the newer lines are all compatible with their respective companies' firmware consoles. Tamron calls this their "Tap-in console". Sigma calls it their "USB Dock". Both allow the end user to apply firmware updates and, at least in the case of Sigma, allows the user to do multiple and critically precise focus calibration on its lenses. As I don't have the Tap-in console yet, I don't have experience with that console, but I do have the USB Dock from Sigma, and it's well worth the money.

From my experience with Tamron, I think they make an excellent macro and general purpose zoom, like the 70-200 (I have the gold-banded version of the 70-200, and it is a super lens...the new G2 is at least as good, from what I hear and read), while all reports indicate that Sigma is knocking it out of the park with their line of Art-series primes. 

I would start here: dxomark.com to do some comparison shopping. The lens that tops their list? The Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG HSM Art, better, by a nose, than even the Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Otus 1.4/55 ZF.2 for Nikon. You can see that page of results here.

Now, having noted all that, I also own Tamron's 28-300 VC PZD for full-frame cameras, and their 16-300 VC PZD for APS-C cameras, and have images from both lenses on Canon (28-300) and Nikon (16-300) bodies for sale here. They are the lenses I hate to love because they simply shouldn't be as good as they are, given the focal ranges they cover, and yet, I can't argue with the results. But based purely on the numbers from their new Art line, Sigma seems to have the overall upper hand right now over Tamron.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro

Used it for 8 years never failed it's a great walk around lens and pretty useful for all sorts of stuff from interiors to corporate to landscapes and even video and table top work.

It's been round the world and back several times.

Little chromatic aberration and generally sharp enough for all subjects

 

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigma-17-70mm-f2-8-4-os-hsm

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Focus_Redefine_Fotography said:

what does that mean?

There's an old saying "empty vessels make most sound"

 

Or if you like the original from Plato "“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Leonard Whistler said:
  • To-MAY-to or to-MAH-to.
  • Six of one or half a dozen of the other.

 

8 hours ago, Focus_Redefine_Fotography said:

what does that mean?

 

 

  • To-MAY-to or to-MAH-to is still a tomato no matter how it is pronounced.
  • Six of one or half a dozen of the other is just 6 items no matter how it is worded.
  • A Tamron lens or Sigma lens will equally fulfill your needs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Phil Lowe said:

It means he thinks there's no difference between lenses from these two companies. I think I've provided sufficient evidence to the contrary. 

Thank you Sir Phil... now I got the point.... 

i was so confuse before I post here, Actually I suppose to get a suggestion on a lens to replace my kit lens 18-55mm Canon..With this kit lens I do capture landscapes which so far I sold  102 sales in 8 months. I do wide angle shots with this lens and for general purpose as well.
Though I have zoom lens 55-250mm which is kit lens too, I do not use much in extreme zoom, I want a lens which i can capture wide and at least good portrait. My mind is thinking about either a tamron or sigma... may be in future I will upgrade to Canon.

 

Last time I post to spend $450 in buying new gear including canon 10-18mm.. But they said this lens will work only in crop sensor camera, So i did not buy. I bought only Good tripod, a 50mm F/1.8, now an ND filter, GND filters and variable filter as well... I hope I can show some new images next month when the rain has stop.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Leonard Whistler said:

 

 

 

  • To-MAY-to or to-MAH-to is still a tomato no matter how it is pronounced.
  • Six of one or half a dozen of the other is just 6 items no matter how it is worded.
  • A Tamron lens or Sigma lens will equally fulfill your needs.

 

Thank you sir....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, sima said:

What camera are You using crop or FF?

Tamron 17-50/2.8 is very good for crop, and for FF my recommendation is Canon 24-70/4 IS

I heard a lot about 24-70mm and i saw in youtube too, but the price...I have Crop sensor camera.. but I will upgrade to FF in future, so i need the lens that ready for future upgrade too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In that case advice is old 17-40/4 L.For portraits, advice is 70-200/4 L or 85/1.8 or 100/2.All of them are quality build and You may find it used in good condition much cheaper than new.

In my country prices for used are 400€ for 17-40 and the same for 70-200, 250-280€ for 85 or 100.

Very good combination for stock is 17-40/4L + 70-200/4L + 50/1.8STM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 3:07 AM, Focus_Redefine_Fotography said:

Thank you Sir Phil... now I got the point.... 

i was so confuse before I post here, Actually I suppose to get a suggestion on a lens to replace my kit lens 18-55mm Canon..With this kit lens I do capture landscapes which so far I sold  102 sales in 8 months. I do wide angle shots with this lens and for general purpose as well.
Though I have zoom lens 55-250mm which is kit lens too, I do not use much in extreme zoom, I want a lens which i can capture wide and at least good portrait. My mind is thinking about either a tamron or sigma... may be in future I will upgrade to Canon.

 

Last time I post to spend $450 in buying new gear including canon 10-18mm.. But they said this lens will work only in crop sensor camera, So i did not buy. I bought only Good tripod, a 50mm F/1.8, now an ND filter, GND filters and variable filter as well... I hope I can show some new images next month when the rain has stop.

 

But the 18-55 and 55-250 are both EF-S lenses for APS-C crop sensors. You must have this kind of camera or these lenses would not go on it.  Therefore, why would you not get the 10-18 to go on your crop sensor camera?  It is a fine lens. I have one for my crop sensor camera. If you want wide angle then the 10-18 is an excellent value.

I see your comment about wanting FF some day. Unfortunately due to how APS cameras adjust to EF lenses you cannot have proper wide angle view with an EF lens on a crop. When using EF lenses you must multiply by 1.6 to get the equivalent on APC.  A 10mm EF lens is effectively 16mm. So you see it is not cost effective to buy wide angle EF lens today for APS just to have it some day for FF.  If you want wide angle today, get the 10-18.

PS - The 50mm 1.8 is excellent for portraits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 0:07 PM, Focus_Redefine_Fotography said:

Last time I post to spend $450 in buying new gear including canon 10-18mm.. But they said this lens will work only in crop sensor camera, So i did not buy.

 

Just as well you did not buy the 10-18mm. The lens is junk and you would have been wasting you money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cpaulfell said:

Just as well you did not buy the 10-18mm. The lens is junk and you would have been wasting you money.

Thats why there are so many guys who sell it as secondhand. I dont hurry uying, first I study and buy.... Like those gear i bought...they are awesome...lucky me that I didnt buy canon 10-18mm....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Magarity said:

But the 18-55 and 55-250 are both EF-S lenses for APS-C crop sensors. You must have this kind of camera or these lenses would not go on it.  Therefore, why would you not get the 10-18 to go on your crop sensor camera?  It is a fine lens. I have one for my crop sensor camera. If you want wide angle then the 10-18 is an excellent value.

I see your comment about wanting FF some day. Unfortunately due to how APS cameras adjust to EF lenses you cannot have proper wide angle view with an EF lens on a crop. When using EF lenses you must multiply by 1.6 to get the equivalent on APC.  A 10mm EF lens is effectively 16mm. So you see it is not cost effective to buy wide angle EF lens today for APS just to have it some day for FF.  If you want wide angle today, get the 10-18.

PS - The 50mm 1.8 is excellent for portraits.

omg so confusing, I dont want canon 10-18mm,

cpaulfell, said its a junk....

Well I have to buy wide angle for crop sensor camera then, ok I will go for sigma or tamron, in future i again have to buy both FF and wide angle lens... Now I finally decided to buy for my present camera only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can see for yourself how soft (to my OOF) the lens is on a crop camera, even with the aperture stopped down to f8 or f8 it is very soft, not to mention the CA this lens produces.

 

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=950&Camera=736&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=3&LensComp=0&CameraComp=0&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0