Robert Mullan

Editorial verses non-editorial sales

I am planning to upload about 2,000 travel images I have on file. Because many contain people/trademarks etc, the majority will have to be submitted as editorial. Sorry if this question is a bit like asking 'how long is a typical piece of string?', but how well does editorial sell on Shutterstock? 

Editorials do sell if there is a common interest in the picture, like if it is siutable for news. It is best if there is a suituation most knows. 

If there is a picture where you have no recognizeable people, and there is just a faint trademark, try to clone it away and submit as non editorial. Editorial is a limitation, but if the pictures is suitable for its editorial use it will sell.

I think we have a topic about last sold editorial image or something like that, try to dig that topic out and see what sells.  

I find (personally), that commercial sell better than editorial - unless of course there is a good story to go with them - then they can easily outsell commercial.

All comes down to luck in the end with the images you have and the caption  you use.

Good Luck

I haven't submitted a lot of editorial, so far only about 50 editorial images as opposed to 2,000 commercial images, but a few of my editorial images, like of the Colony Hotel in Miami Beach, which would otherwise require a property release, have been selling, maybe 1-2 times a week.

Now that I can see that editorial images sell, I will be submitting a lot more, and re-submitting previously rejected images for not having a model or property release, as editorial!

Submit away!  See what happens!

Paula, Perry, Roman and Patrick - thank you all for your helpful replies. Roman, I just had the quickest glance at your portfolio, stuff like your's is what I plan to do: brand names, company logos, famous hotels etc. Most of these would be used in blogs travel articles and the like. 

1 hour ago, Old Bear said:

Paula, Perry, Roman and Patrick - thank you all for your helpful replies. Roman, I just had the quickest glance at your portfolio, stuff like your's is what I plan to do: brand names, company logos, famous hotels etc. Most of these would be used in blogs travel articles and the like. 

Congratulations Roman! You just got yourself a new competitor! :P

2 hours ago, Old Bear said:

Somehow I think the world's big enough for both of us!   

That's exactly why Samsung is usually so relaxed, when Apple is launching a new iPhone and why Apple is always kindly helping Samsung, with details about Apple patents. Because the world is big enough for both of them. 😁

I'm new to this so I will probably sound silly but I'll ask anyway.

What exactly are editorial pictures?

How do I know if a picture is editorial or not?

How much do they earn?

Any responses will be most appreciated.

Thank you.

SS offers an excellent guide on 'Editorial' vs. 'commercial' image use.  You may have to 'hunt' for the SS text but doing so may save you time and frustration in what images to down-load and how to 'keyword' their text.  Suggest you look at what other contributors have posted for your planned down-load location as a good source of what to do and not to do.

Hey guys,

I'm new to Stock photography. I have a lot of Editorial pictures so I have uploaded some of them. I've got a sell this morning for $0,25 ??????? Are they not suppose to sell editorial picture more than that? I just thing $0,25 it's crazy? What is your experience?

Thanks

Fabrice, congratulations on the sale. Yes, that's completely normal. You will also find that many of your commercial images will also sell for $0.25c. That's the standard cut you get for subscription sales when you're first starting out and will continue at that rate for quite a while until you sell a hell of a lot more. Occasionally, if you're lucky, you can get higher priced single sales (non-subscription.) I got $6 for an editorial image sale not all that long ago. And some people have gotten much higher than that. 

Hi Old Bear,

Out of my top 5 best-selling images on here, 2 of them are editorials.

However, in the grand scheme of things, commercial images tend to be more profitable than editorials as they're more versatile, from a legal point of view. 

Therefore, whenever possible, I try to turn editorial images into commercial. This type of workflow is something I've written about quite a bit in my blog:

https://brutallyhonestmicrostock.com/2017/06/18/why-images-with-people-tend-to-sell-better/

https://brutallyhonestmicrostock.com/2017/08/07/turning-images-from-editorial-to-commercial-to-increase-their-worth/

As for the 25 cents/download, it's a bit of a joke but it's all about volume: 10 downloads a day x 25cents x 30 days = $75/month

Alex

stock-photo-budapest-hungary-september-refugees-at-the-keleti-railway-station-on-september-314926154.jpg

stock-photo-rotterdam-netherlands-may-downtown-rotterdam-netherland-s-second-largest-city-with-the-191922284.jpg

Hi Fabrice, congrats on the sale. Some of my biggest sales have been editorial (given that my port is about 85% editorial:), ELs, Subs, Singles, & don't let's forget videos. Do videos of events as well & upload. They will sell, though not as often as stills, of course.

One of my all time best sellers, in fact, is a view of the Waldorf Astoria banquet room taken from above, all bathed in blue & purple light. Given the angle, it probably might have been submitted as a commercial shot. Another real good seller is a shot of a morning conference at The Brooklyn Hospital Center—I seriously doubt it's purchased because of interest in the subject. It actually looks like a slightly rawer version of a commercial stock shot depicting a business conference, but obviously there are many editorial uses for such an image.

Sounds as though you're on the right track here. Keep up the good work.

andy

On 15/08/2017 at 3:30 AM, Patrick Cooper said:

Fabrice, congratulations on the sale. Yes, that's completely normal. You will also find that many of your commercial images will also sell for $0.25c. That's the standard cut you get for subscription sales when you're first starting out and will continue at that rate for quite a while until you sell a hell of a lot more. Occasionally, if you're lucky, you can get higher priced single sales (non-subscription.) I got $6 for an editorial image sale not all that long ago. And some people have gotten much higher than that. 

Hi Patrick,

Thank you I'm very happy with the sale, knowing I'm only started two weeks ago. I was very surprised for an editorial picture to bring so little and It's good to know that you can get more. I really want to know if it is a good source of revenue, the main of course. If it's worse all the work.

Take care

On 15/08/2017 at 9:17 AM, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

Hi Old Bear,

Out of my top 5 best-selling images on here, 2 of them are editorials.

However, in the grand scheme of things, commercial images tend to be more profitable than editorials as they're more versatile, from a legal point of view. 

Therefore, whenever possible, I try to turn editorial images into commercial. This type of workflow is something I've written about quite a bit in my blog:

https://brutallyhonestmicrostock.com/2017/06/18/why-images-with-people-tend-to-sell-better/

https://brutallyhonestmicrostock.com/2017/08/07/turning-images-from-editorial-to-commercial-to-increase-their-worth/

As for the 25 cents/download, it's a bit of a joke but it's all about volume: 10 downloads a day x 25cents x 30 days = $75/month

Alex

stock-photo-budapest-hungary-september-refugees-at-the-keleti-railway-station-on-september-314926154.jpg

stock-photo-rotterdam-netherlands-may-downtown-rotterdam-netherland-s-second-largest-city-with-the-191922284.jpg

Thank you Alex for sharing your experience.

Curious if anyone can tell me how well editorial sales do overall on Shutterstock. I see people saying they're making money on editorial, but is it decent money, compared to creative/non-editorial sales. Also, if there's a way to determine how much of the editorial images being sold are sold to drive by customers vs. Shuttertsock subscription customers.