Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cpaulfell

Photographer Shoots Formula 1 With 104-Year-Old Camera

38 posts in this topic

I wonder if he has thought about mounting a modern lens on the camera? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mikenorton said:

I wonder if he has thought about mounting a modern lens on the camera? 

i found 2 of this at junkyard. If so, how  suppose to carry around, it's so big and heavy wooden frames. The lenses was mounted by common screw to its flanges.  

F1000025s.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On May 19, 2017 at 11:58 PM, Alexlky said:

i found 2 of this at junkyard. If so, how  suppose to carry around, it's so big and heavy wooden frames. The lenses was mounted by common screw to its flanges.  

F1000025s.jpg

Do you have some better pictures of this camera? Maybe one that shows the complete camera? 

The lens looks like it is mounted by screws to a Lens Board which is held in place by the 2 flat brass plates above and below the lens. Each lens would be attached to its own lens board.

Is this an 8x10 or 11x14 inch camera? If it is an 8x10 or 11x14 inch camera it is too big to be carry around unless you are Arnold Schwarzenegger. The one I used every day back in the late 70s & early 80s sat on a wheeled table that rolled up and down a track in the studio. For comparison the fellow photographing the F1 cars had a 4x5 inch camera.

I've never seen the shutter in front of the lens!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike, I carried around this Monster for a Long time . Cost me 72$ for each shot as I did Platinum Prints. But the detail was astounding. I sold it in 2007. Made a Lot Of money On it. Was A Canham. 11 x 24. wanna see the camera in question, search margaret Burke White. I have every Book On her. She was My Hero. and the shot I took Of you In that restaurant In Monument Valley was inspired By her. And the early 30's Migrant workers in California. Someday, Im gonna shoot you again. Classic face man. google Her and you will see the camera used for the shots mentioned.

CAT 8373 CD303 FARM WORKER.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, mikenorton said:

Do you have some better pictures of this camera? Maybe one that shows the complete camera? 

The lens looks like it is mounted by screws to a Lens Board which is held in place by the 2 flat brass plates above and below the lens. Each lens would be attached to its own lens board.

Is this an 8x10 or 11x14 inch camera? If it is an 8x10 or 11x14 inch camera it is too big to be carry around unless you are Arnold Schwarzenegger. The one I used every day back in the late 70s & early 80s sat on a wheeled table that rolled up and down a track in the studio. For comparison the fellow photographing the F1 cars had a 4x5 inch camera.

I've never seen the shutter in front of the lens!

I am so sorry, Mike. I only took 2 shots of this angle with expired 135/C41 on F3hp body. The print shop digital scanning resolution widest by 1800px, if you want i can send to you.

Yeah, brass material on all the metal parts even 4 screws attaching the lens. It is big, maybe bigger than Arnold could handle. Laurin said 11 x 24, what kind of film for this size, huh! 4x5 quite common.  

I though it is an Aperture in front of the lens, could never imagine it is shutter release. 

 

Laurin, now i know who did the famous picture of Mahatma Gandhi. Really great works of her. Thanks for sharing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The largest film size Ive shot with is 6 x 7cm medium format. The detail in those Fuji Velvia transparencies looked pretty impressive under a loupe on a light box.

I once bought an old, wooden view camera from a camera market for about 60 bucks. No lens and the ground glass was partly cracked. I can't recall what format it used but it was larger than 4 x 5. I was planning to get a reducing back for it and shoot 4 x 5. There were some wooden sections that were missing (needed work.) Ive no idea what happened to that camera because it mysteriously disappeared. Strange for something so big to go missing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

The largest film size Ive shot with is 6 x 7cm medium format. The detail in those Fuji Velvia transparencies looked pretty impressive under a loupe on a light box.

I once bought an old, wooden view camera from a camera market for about 60 bucks. No lens and the ground glass was partly cracked. I can't recall what format it used but it was larger than 4 x 5. I was planning to get a reducing back for it and shoot 4 x 5. There were some wooden sections that were missing (needed work.) Ive no idea what happened to that camera because it mysteriously disappeared. Strange for something so big to go missing. 

Hopefully it isn't a Deardorff. That would be like a double whammy

 

I had an original Fred Picker built Zone VI that I paid $1400 for in 1992. (made to order) That was my only camera for almost 20 years. I still have the Photoflex film changing bag, a Polaroid film holder, and their ash wooden tripod. All mint.  Anybody? I used The polaroid back to make transfers with  type 59 film, but they don't make that anymore. You can get some old 59 film on ebay for $165.00 for 20 sheets and who knows in what condition

*sigh*

 

edit: come to think of it, I might dig that tripod up out of storage and start using it again. Best darn tripod on the planet, you can put pretty much anything on it you want, very stable in any position with no vibrations. Nicer and simpler than Ries or Berlebach. It has spikes, so good for landscapes and things. Little heavy, but who cares.

 

Thanks for listening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rinderart said:

ALL My tripods weigh a ton. thats Kinda the Purpose.I have no use for those Skinny Carbon Fibre sticks.

I agree. Now if only my bones, joints , and muscles would too......

 

my 45 year old Gitzo and (little newer) Manfrotto 055whatever are no lightweights either. Ok! That settles it. Wood it is. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terrific pictures of the formula, sort of wish to have one like this.... 

 

Amazing pictures rinderart, had no idea you can still buy film for press camera this days, used to play with old press camera in past, but very small one, think it was only 4x5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

press came from 4x5 speed graphic or a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Press was because the Press used them as they Had a viewfinder. "Field" Graphic was for artistic stuff with Ground Glass that was upside down and you used a Loupe to focus. Mine was a 11 x 14 field camera.Which had a dark Cloth to Block out the light to focus and believe it or not I still use one with My Nikons. to Look at the Image after in complete darkness. Pretty Handy doing landscape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Laurin,

I knew that Margaret Burke White used this kind of camera but I had never researched the camera until I saw this thread.

I can't believe that I ever look that good! That (and I mean this) is probably the best picture ever taken of me!

 

The 11x14 camera I used looked a lot like this one except the stand had 4 legs instead of 3. It had 3 backs for different size film. They were for 11x14, 8x10 and 4x5 inch film. I mostly photographed transparency film with the 8x10 back. This is where I learned to be right on with my exposures and to always follow set procedures. A quarter stop over or under exposed and the film was trash.

b4f12e227995d4eee6ec1a71ced28422.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Alexlky said:

 

I though it is an Aperture in front of the lens, could never imagine it is shutter release. 

 

 

Alexlky,

The shutter is the aperture, it does double duty. When the shutter is tripped it stops down to the pre-set aperture for the pre-set shutter speed. If the first shot is set to F22 @ 1 second then when then the shutter is tripped it stops down to F22 and stays open for 1 second while if the next shot is set for F45 @ half a second second then it will stop down to F45 and will stay open for half a second.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Incidentally, the medium format camera I used (the Koni Omega Rapid) was also intended for use with press photographers. But I believe the timing was wrong - when the Koni was released, 35mm started to become popular in press photography. Ive also used twin lens reflex cameras (another favourite among press photographers.) 

Mike, when you were shooting large format sheet film, did you ever use the technique of making two identical exposures of the same subject / same composition and angle etc? Ive heard that could be used as extra insurance for getting an acceptably exposed image. The idea being to get the first of those two exposed frames developed and then examine the results. If the film turns out to be properly exposed, then the second frame will be developed as normal. However, if the first frame is underexposed or overexposed, then the development of the second frame will be adjusted accordingly. Sort of like doing a clip test with roll film (serving the same purpose.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0